'65 Bassman: another Plexi

No thanks to all of the above. And why is it that a guy who had a "long life of drugs and alcohol" with a guitar is a musician but take away the guitar and you and I would call that same guy a looser junky?
Also, I had to google Michael Buble, had no idea who he is. You referenced the guy and even spell his name correctly. Fan?

No need to get the irish up here.

And I can't stand his singing either. Whether you call it 'punk' or 'authentic', it drives me nuts. But I think they have some pretty cool songs anyway.

Opinions vary, so let's have respect for others. And yes, I do like a few Buble songs. Sue me.

R

No thanks to all of the above. And why is it that a guy who had a "long life of drugs and alcohol" with a guitar is a musician but take away the guitar and you and I would call that same guy a looser junky?
Also, I had to google Michael Buble, had no idea who he is. You referenced the guy and even spell his name correctly. Fan?

Saw him on SNL once and his name is spelled just like it sounds.

Mike Ness was something of a looser junkie for a while, hitting rock bottom, and then getting cleaned up (but not preachy) and continuing on with music. Gives one some nice experiences to write from, and music that has resonated with a lot of people, who may have gone though some similar things

Your more into the "cookie monster" type metal band vocals I'm guessing ? Not really my scene anymore, though I think I do recall your being one asking for a HM2 model in the Axe, of which I 100% agree. Had one back in the day to get that classic Swede sound, ala "Left Hand Path" et al., and foolishly sold it. Those things just get such a distinct grind....

Read Wren & Cuff,, who usually makes great muff clones, has done a cloned HM2, but its selling for more than a good condition MIJ HM2 on Ebay, so whats the point really. I'd just like to see it cloned in the Axe to give me those tonal options again. Still fun to get the old "chainsaw" tonez lol

No need to get the irish up here.

And I can't stand his singing either. Whether you call it 'punk' or 'authentic', it drives me nuts. But I think they have some pretty cool songs anyway.

Opinions vary, so let's have respect for others. And yes, I do like a few Buble songs. Sue me.

R

Just couldn't picture Social D if they got a proper "front man" type of singer. Even if the dude had the pipes of Sebastian Bach, some long haired, tight jeans wearing, pretty boy type just can't sing about hard luck and hard times. I'm not trying to get into some whole stereotypical "white guys can't play the blues" type of BS, but I think some authenticity goes a long ways in music.

Ness isn't a great singer, or even that technically amazing of guitar player (though a good song writer) but he's honest and lived everything he's singing about.

Way better than some country artist singing a song about heartbreak they've never experienced firsthand and that was written for them by a team of producers. That kind of turns musicians/singers into actors, playing a role, rather than actually sharing something real.

Saw him on SNL once and his name is spelled just like it sounds.

Mike Ness was something of a looser junkie for a while, hitting rock bottom, and then getting cleaned up (but not preachy) and continuing on with music. Gives one some nice experiences to write from, and music that has resonated with a lot of people, who may have gone though some similar things

Your more into the "cookie monster" type metal band vocals I'm guessing ? Not really my scene anymore, though I think I do recall your being one asking for a HM2 model in the Axe, of which I 100% agree. Had one back in the day to get that classic Swede sound, ala "Left Hand Path" et al., and foolishly sold it. Those things just get such a distinct grind....

Read Wren & Cuff,, who usually makes great muff clones, has done a cloned HM2, but its selling for more than a good condition MIJ HM2 on Ebay, so whats the point really. I'd just like to see it cloned in the Axe to give me those tonal options again. Still fun to get the old "chainsaw" tonez lol

Right on. I was raised by Blues loving, Jethro Tull jamming, Def Leopard rocking, hippie musician parents and uncles. Studied Jazz in high school and college all while playing in metal bands. So my taste in music is like an array of flavors and colors.

The HM-2/Swedish buzzsaw caught my ear just out of chance. I have gotten way in to the Swedish DM scene/sound in the past year. It has been an interesting and fun journey and I am now a BIG fan of that genre. This lead me to Stoner/Doom metal and the FUZZSAW (see what I did there) tones that come along with it. Which leads me back in to the OP and another use for a Bassman "about to explode" type tones. Putting a nasty fuzz in front of the amp with the amp maxed out delivers that S/D metal tone.
Sounds like the thing is going to take off like a rocket. Of course this works pretty good with many amps that are not really considered gainy. Cut lows where and as you see fit. :)

Bassman's rule I am modifying some 68s currently have both 6l6 and 34 versions in the house.

Funeral you rule you have helped me so much with axe
I could not sleep last night thinking of so many possibilities.

Found the items you suggested they worked 1000% flawlessly
then I had more ideas...

4 fingers crossed for 14'
IBTL

Right on. I was raised by Blues loving, Jethro Tull jamming, Def Leopard rocking, hippie musician parents and uncles. Studied Jazz in high school and college all while playing in metal bands. So my taste in music is like an array of flavors and colors.

The HM-2/Swedish buzzsaw caught my ear just out of chance. I have gotten way in to the Swedish DM scene/sound in the past year. It has been an interesting and fun journey and I am now a BIG fan of that genre. This lead me to Stoner/Doom metal and the FUZZSAW (see what I did there) tones that come along with it. Which leads me back in to the OP and another use for a Bassman "about to explode" type tones. Putting a nasty fuzz in front of the amp with the amp maxed out delivers that S/D metal tone.
Sounds like the thing is going to take off like a rocket. Of course this works pretty good with many amps that are not really considered gainy. Cut lows where and as you see fit. :)

Agree, I've always found on the Axe that some of the cleaner models can get a bit better grind with some of the pedal models in front of them. Even something really basic like a Fender Deluxe model, with a Muff Pi, set to emulate the 78/79 Op-Amp muff (I was smart enough to hold onto my original V4 muff at least) just gets a crushing tone. Try the same thing with amp models you'd assume would work better, such as a Marshall type model, and just doesn't really seem to work, even if that is often was is used in the studio.

When used to work for Kerrang! in the UK I always had to cover a bunch of Stoner type bands like Orange Goblin etc. Those sludgey tones are pretty fun and ultra heavy live.

A lot of the Swedish bands would kind of disappoint tone wise though, Entombed for example; a classic track like Wolverine Blues just doesn't remotely cut live. Just turns all muddy, and the chainsaw loses its teeth

That all said, fingers crossed for an HM2 in fw13! Replace the darn MetalZone model if one must lol

Continuing on with Bassman usage, didn't Nuno play through some mod'd Bassmans for a while?

On another note I had a buddy convert a silveface Bassman I had lying around. In layman's terms he converted it to EL34's, put 12AX7's in it and did a plexi circuit (of sorts). It reminded me of Dweezil's "Bassman about to Explode" preset/amp sim. Always had some weird overtone in it though that we never dialed out. Other than that it was a wild amp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom