1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

'65 Bassman: another Plexi

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Discussion' started by yek, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Mark's Tone

Mark's Tone
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

The best tones I ever got out of my vintage Marshall was the last two hours before the groove tubes crapped out. Sweet flutie tones. Get that into code, and we are mnoving foreward huge.

Maybe it's already in there?

2. Mark's Tone

Mark's Tone
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

I have been moving factory preset #1 to the back of the line since I got the axfx. :shock

3. PacoCasanovas

PacoCasanovas
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

tweak "triode hardness" ;)

pima1234 and Scott Peterson like this.
  4. javajunkie

javajunkie
    Expand Collapse

Doesn't 1965 AB165 circuit uses a 12ax7?

Bassman « fenderguru.com. Fender amps, mods, modifications, vintage, maintenance, tubes, speakers, schematics, blackface, silverface, jens mosbergvik.

5. FractalAudio

FractalAudio
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

Yes, the AB165 uses 7025 preamp tubes (which are relabeled 12AX7). The phase inverter, however, is a 12AT7.

None of this is relevant though. The secret to the AB165 is the summing stage. It uses a inverting summing amp to sum the Normal and Bass inputs. This stage clips, because of all the local negative feedback, quite hard.

pima1234, reclavea, Smilzo and 3 others like this.
  6. jyflorida

jyflorida
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I've been waiting all day to try this. WOW! Simply killer tone!! I definitely WILL find a reason to use this patch over the weekend! Thank you Yek!

7. #27 LVC, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    LVC

LVC
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Right it has the 12AX7 but I was taking specifically about the Bassman 5F6-A circuit which is what Marshall lifted from Fender.

He then swapped a 12AY7 for a 12Ax7 in the Bassman 5F6-A Circuit for more gain and that amp essentially became the JTM45

To put the tube changes in perspective here are Preamp tube gain factors

12AX7 - gain of 100
    12AT7 - gain of 60
    2AY7 - gain of 45
    12AU7 - gain of 19

Remember the old game -- "6 degrees of Kevin Bacon".... same thing with Fender ... "6 degrees of Fender"

All things lead back to Fender! .... *

*and yes the tube book

pima1234 likes this.
  8. javajunkie

javajunkie
    Expand Collapse

I was speaking to this:

"To get it authentic in the Axe -- the Bassman sims would need to be modeled with a 12ax7 tube which actually would be cool for some of the other tweed amps as well (alternative tube modeling to give you different inherent headroom and feel)."

9. LVC

LVC
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Yes it would have to.

65 Bassman is not the correct circuit for what I was talking about -- the 59 Bassman is (5F6-A)!

A period correct tube layout in a 59 Bassman should have a 12AY7 preamp tube (V1). To give it a more Marshall gain - you would need another sim of the 59 but this time with a 12ax7 tube in V1. Then you would select the proper cab/speakers to go with the new gain structure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sorry for the confusion --- I get excited when it comes to old Fenders!

pima1234 and tempus fugit like this.
  10. javajunkie

javajunkie
    Expand Collapse

Yep, I know that, my only point was that when you said the bassman sims should have 12ax7s, one of them does. Specifically the one being discussed in the first post of this thread.

11. PacoCasanovas

PacoCasanovas
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

as a summing stage, it's a welcome effect - normally I would cut out the resistor due of a gain bump!

AB165 has way too much negative feedback IMO, even the power amp circuit itself had feedback resistors (I'm not talking about the normal global inverse feedback). Fender did a lot of work to convert this in a real bass amplifier, but as a guitar amplifier, cut out these 220k feedback resistors in the power amp section.
    Make sure you don't miss the balanced PI - this is also a thing you don't want in your guitar amp.....

I love those circuits, they give you opportunities to tweak ;) - later silverface amps I love the most, these were most screwed circuits, with a little bit of love, you can make them shine again! :encouragement:

12. #32 tempus fugit, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    tempus fugit

tempus fugit
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

i tried with the 4x12 basket g12h30 rw and found that quite inspiring
    edit: praise odin! i stuck a fuzz in front. pretty sure my axe fx ii became molten

pima1234 likes this.
  13. theblogjammers

theblogjammers
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I love the bassman and learning more about it--thanks Cliff.

14. theblogjammers

theblogjammers
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Ha! Me too. Fun stuff.

LVC likes this.
  15. solo-act

solo-act
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Look for the the "exploding bassman" factory preset (or whatever it's called) send it into a 1x12 tweed mix and dial to taste. That's my PUSA preset. Raw, nasty, and works great for the drop D on that song. Played it at last night's gig and got out in front of the PA. Fun stuff.

16. PJM

PJM
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Just found this thread last night . SG straight out of its case ! . Thanks Yek . Could not quite get the sound i wanted from the 65 Bassman model though . What else should I try ?

17. lqdsnddist

lqdsnddist
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

Timely bumping of this thread, I've been thinking of selling my Bassman, as I nearly always just use the Axe, but darn if the Bassman doesn't still sound a bit better to my ears. Only amp I'll actually say that about compared to the Axe.

I'll run my Bassman (which has a PPIMV added via the second cab jack on the back) into a loadbox, and then run that line single into the Axe, using the Axe just for the IR's, and try as I might, I can't get the dial in the tone. Tried Bassman models, tried Marshall models, and everything else. They all sound really good, but the Bassman tone is just "right"

This is in regards to the Bass channel, my AA864 clean channel has been left stock, and the Axe actually does great Fender cleans. The bass channel has the added stage of gain, and then the deep switch has been modded to kick in a bit of a mid boost. Crank the volume to about 8, treble at 9, bass at 6, and play it through my LP with hot P90's and its pure Mike Ness/Social D tone

Music starts at the 2:15 point

Social Distortion - Live in Orange County 2003 - YouTube

18. Funeral

Funeral
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Is that guy INTENTIONALLY not pronouncing his words? And singing out of tune?
    Seem about as lame as selling out...right?

Anyways, back to the OP.
    I thought that this was common knowledge. For years Ive seen guys use Bassman amps for rock tones.

19. lqdsnddist

lqdsnddist
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

Just how Mike Ness sings. (long live of drugs and alcohol and rock n' roll lifestyle) Awesome live guitar tone though (IMO) and great overall band with some really good songs.

If you want someone who enunciates every word and sings in tune there are plenty of Michael Buble types or American Idol pretty boys.

20. Funeral

Funeral
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

No thanks to all of the above. And why is it that a guy who had a "long life of drugs and alcohol" with a guitar is a musician but take away the guitar and you and I would call that same guy a looser junky?
    Also, I had to google Michael Buble, had no idea who he is. You referenced the guy and even spell his name correctly. Fan?