Why all the Metal??????

First of all, we should define what METAL means to us, since it is a too widely used word.

For those who say that Dio is the God of Metal, I praise their Dio. :encouragement:

But modern uber-chuga-chuha-chuga is not for me.

Last edited:
He was da man...and Vivian Campbell's work on the first two albums is still some of my all time favorite guitar. Holy Diver was pure magic.

Metal was invented by players who spent their careers pushing the edge of amp innovation to try to get heavier, louder tones. The whole genre is simultaneously the result of and cause for continually innovated gear, with little regard or desire for vintage gear. Its only natural that metal players would then be the most accepting of and eager for the newest, greatest amp innovation. Its the same reason more metal players hopped onboard Super Strats.

Extreme music, extreme tech.

Metal was invented by players who spent their careers pushing the edge of amp innovation to try to get heavier, louder tones. The whole genre is simultaneously the result of and cause for continually innovated gear, with little regard or desire for vintage gear. Its only natural that metal players would then be the most accepting of and eager for the newest, greatest amp innovation. Its the same reason more metal players hopped onboard Super Strats.

Extreme music, extreme tech.

Extreme - More than words :D

With all due respect-I just do not see metal as "something special". It's music, just like rock is music, or jazz is music, etc, etc. Give me a break please. I won't talk down about it, but I sure as hell know music well enough to know it's JUST ANOTHER GENRE---Period!

I mean you guys actually believe that metal is above all other music tone wise ???? Vocal wise????? Why can't you just enjoy what you like-instead of trying to make it something special above all other music-? That is what your saying and others have said here.

And I knew the old farts comment was another poster. Passion for the music one loves is great- Placing it on a pedestal above all other music is ridiculous. This thread has gone off the deep end and it's getting really deep.
Bye!

In no way did I intend to imply that metal was superior in any aspect. I simply stated that metal tone is evolving at a much faster rate and requires a lot more knowledge/gear to keep up with it. Vintage guys aren't trying to keep up with classic rock sounds. Neither of these is better or worse than the other and I'm sincerely confused as to why my response was interpreted that way.

Metal IS just another genre, but like every other genre, there are different requirements. I play a vast array of styles from Jazz to classic rock to 80's hair metal to modern metal. If you think every genre has the same requirements, you're fooling yourself. There ARE differences. I own an axe fx because it's a helluva lot cheaper than owning an amp for each genre.

New rock albums are still being cut with vintage gear. New metal albums are not. This is inherent to the style and drives the "This gear isn't even in production yet" attitude of metal players.

I frequently hang out with jazz and rock guys at sit-in jams and hardly ever does anybody talk about new gear. It's almost always some amazingly rare vintage amp or guitar. Metal guys are the opposite. I take the lids off my case and immediately have somebody asking me questions about the axe.

Do not think for a second that by saying "tone is evolving faster" do I mean "tone is better". That's simply not true.

I find the most challenging tones to achieve are awesome high gain/rock tones. Fractal is perfect for this.

There are a few specific genres that people laugh at and metal is one of them. Metal is not cool. I don't get why metal players think they are cool... they're not. Well that's a generalisation but I think that's what we're talking about here.

"You're not into that... you know... metal thing are you" is one of the most common questions people ask me when I say that I play guitar. My answer is that I like all types of music as long as it has a soul... and I'm sorry to say this but most metal music is extremely narrow minded and superficial. How many more metal songs about atheism do we need? That's like every metal song this year.

Music is about delivering a message and the most idiotic way is to scream it so that no one understands what you're saying.

Reactions: LVC
That is why I posted this video bellow...nothing against metal...me like, but I believe that when you play with a lot of spaces and slow is when you get to really experience the beauty and the masterpiece of the axe-fx.

You like metal? Cool, enjoy it. You don't like it? Cool too, enjoy whatever you like. What the hell is this discussion about? It is all music, pick the styles you prefer, grab your guitars and play and stop telling each other that you are not cool, narrow minded, old fashioned or whatever. Who cares if somebody else likes the same music? As long as I like the stuff I am listening to I couldn't care less about anybody else's opinion, I don't have to defend my taste in music, do I? For me there are only two types of music, the one that I like and the one that I don't like, who cares about genres? My 2 cent...

There are a few specific genres that people laugh at and metal is one of them. Metal is not cool. I don't get why metal players think they are cool... they're not. Well that's a generalisation but I think that's what we're talking about here.

"You're not into that... you know... metal thing are you" is one of the most common questions people ask me when I say that I play guitar. My answer is that I like all types of music as long as it has a soul... and I'm sorry to say this but most metal music is extremely narrow minded and superficial. How many more metal songs about atheism do we need? That's like every metal song this year.

Music is about delivering a message and the most idiotic way is to scream it so that no one understands what you're saying.
As the 'Man of Steel' I would have expected you (of all people) to appreciate 'metal' for what it truly is... an art form.

Just because you don't understand the 'language' of screams doesn't mean that others don't. That would be like me saying "I don't understand why all these people talk Swedish and sh*t, it all sounds a like baby talk to me... They need to grow up and learn English so I can understand them." I appreciate both screams and singing vocals. They both express a side of a particular signing style... I even appreciate it a ton more when they are both expressed within the same song. I love all styles of music, Jazz and Cuban Jazz, Mariachi, Rock, Orchestral and Symphonic music but most of all I love Metal!

Marcus are you replying to me or in general?

You like metal? Cool, enjoy it. You don't like it? Cool too, enjoy whatever you like. What the hell is this discussion about? It is all music, pick the styles you prefer, grab your guitars and play and stop telling each other that you are not cool, narrow minded, old fashioned or whatever. Who cares if somebody else likes the same music? As long as I like the stuff I am listening to I couldn't care less about anybody else's opinion, I don't have to defend my taste in music, do I? For me there are only two types of music, the one that I like and the one that I don't like, who cares about genres? My 2 cent...

Most uninformed opinion ever! At the end of the day, I think the original question was why metal is so prevalent on the forum, not why metal is good or not ... so there is no point in arguing the latter here. At the end of the day, who really cares, The AFX is a great tool for all genres and I for one am glad to be apart of the community of guitar players who use it.

Isn't this too narrow ? ;)
Metal is a folklore for me, screaming can be part of it...
Every music delivers the same messages, always and always... so for me music isn't about delivering messages, but delivering feelings.
I like every type of music too but i don't bash at metal ;)

Back
Top Bottom