FW10 has really F-d UP my Mesa Patches :( ... lot's of work or back to V6???

ok, let's sort this out

we need to understand whether the op doesn't like his tones because they've changed since v6 and it's either a matter of personal taste, or because it's different, it's "bad".....or.....there's something actually wrong with the way the firmware has loaded and something is "off"

lenny - please record a clip with one of the gainier presets that uses a mesa, or the friedman - or use one of your own patches (that you don't like any more) and attach the preset into this thread. someone can then download and compare and hopefully we can rule out some of the variables, otherwise we're just going around in circles...

+1 This should be a prerequisite for anyone complaining about firmware before/after troubles on a patch/patches.

Yup Yup Yup!!

ok, let's sort this out

we need to understand whether the op doesn't like his tones because they've changed since v6 and it's either a matter of personal taste, or because it's different, it's "bad".....or.....there's something actually wrong with the way the firmware has loaded and something is "off"

lenny - please record a clip with one of the gainier presets that uses a mesa, or the friedman - or use one of your own patches (that you don't like any more) and attach the preset into this thread. someone can then download and compare and hopefully we can rule out some of the variables, otherwise we're just going around in circles...

+1 This should be a prerequisite for anyone complaining about firmware before/after troubles on a patch/patches.

Yup Yup Yup!!

What they said. I do it on a consulting basis one-on-one with people (in no way endorsed by or on behalf of Fractal in any way) and this is EXACTLY how you teach people. Look at where you are, analyze what you are doing, identify where you want to go and then formulate a path in a methodical way. It's pragmatic, simple, efficient and removes variables.

IMO, YMMV, etc but I don't get why the OP complains, says he "tried everything in all environments," and then six pages into the thread it looks like he hasn't tried advanced parameters yet. Why is it "too much work" for some to dig deep on their favorite amps and learn how the advanced parameters affect them. Isn't that part of owning an axe-fx, especially for full-time pros? :confused-new:

That said, kudos to those helping! (without the help of before/after reference files from the OP)

Because to me at least.....if I play an amp IRL and can't get a tone I like out of it beyond the basic controls (which is pretty damn rare) ....I move on
I don't open it up and pull out a soldering iron
I'm not saying the advanced controls can't refine the tone in a great way it just seems like a bad place to start if you aren't getting results with the basic ones....

I'd like to see the same each time someone raves about how amazing a new FW in comparison to the last as an equalizer, if someone put up a FW10 clip of the rectos sounding amazing or even a patch maybe this wouldn't have reached 7 pages
(like simeon did which was awesome)

What they said. I do it on a consulting basis one-on-one with people (in no way endorsed by or on behalf of Fractal in any way) and this is EXACTLY how you teach people. Look at where you are, analyze what you are doing, identify where you want to go and then formulate a path in a methodical way. It's pragmatic, simple, efficient and removes variables.

Taming The Monster - Building a Preset on the Fractal Audio Axe-FX II - YouTube

I'm just curious if you still build patches this way , going to things like motor drive and speaker resonance and not even touching basic eq controls?
This doesn't really seem simple but maybe I'm doing it wrong......

Because to me at least.....if I play an amp IRL and can't get a tone I like out of it beyond the basic controls (which is pretty damn rare) ....I move on
I don't open it up and pull out a soldering iron
I'm not saying the advanced controls can't refine the tone in a great way it just seems like a bad place to start if you aren't getting results with the basic ones....

I'd like to see the same each time someone raves about how amazing a new FW in comparison to the last as an equalizer, if someone put up a FW10 clip of the rectos sounding amazing or even a patch maybe this wouldn't have reached 7 pages
(like simeon did which was awesome)

Taming The Monster - Building a Preset on the Fractal Audio Axe-FX II - YouTube

I'm just curious if you still build patches this way , going to things like motor drive and speaker resonance and not even touching basic eq controls?
This doesn't really seem simple but maybe I'm doing it wrong......

Your first point - you are assuming that there is a problem, which IMHO there isn't, with 10.0.

Your second point - is framing something subjective as objective; none of this is objective. No one need 'prove' anything if they like something; however if you want constructive help if you encounter a problem then it is necessary to have proper context and tones/presets in order to help.

Your third point - no, I do not build patches that way - see Cobbler's post. And note that as the Axe-FX II evolves, so does my process for dialing them. It's a journey, not a destination. However having said that, once I dial up something I really do not touch it again unless a firmware changes the foundation of it.

This thread reminds me why I got tired of checking out the forum daily, and just check in occasionally nowadays.. Instead of spending hours reading threads/posts about the latest firmware, IRs and whatnot, and tweaking my brains out trying to find the "perfect" sound, I decided to use more time just playing the thing, I guess that's what it was meant for anyway.. ;-) Even if one's not quite happy with some of the sounds/presets/amp models, there should be plenty of other good ones to choose from. I like to work from the principle that any sound/preset can sound good, if you play and use it "the right way".. For the record, I still use FW9 and it works fine for me (I'll probably upgrade to FW10 or 11 at some point, and when I do, I'm sure I will be quite happy with that, too) ;-)

Your first point - you are assuming that there is a problem, which IMHO there isn't, with 10.0. .

But at the end of the day its all down to opinions. Whether 'problem' is the right word or not, the fact is amps have been updated all through the history of the axe-fx FW's
Who's to say it still can't be improved? Considering how some people can hear huge improvements each time a new FW gets released doesn't mean its the last time. (possibly the diezels?)
Obviously if you can hear an improvement, its not 100% perfect the last time...so is it 100% yet or will that be on FW11?

Your second point - is framing something subjective as objective; none of this is objective. No one need 'prove' anything if they like something; however if you want constructive help if you encounter a problem then it is necessary to have proper context and tones/presets in order to help. .

Well thats the sad reality here sometimes. If its roses its taken as gospel but if there is an issue, generally everything else gets blamed first.
I've seen posts where they told a user that because he had $200 m-audio speakers that was the reason he couldn't get it to sound good.....thats really sad

Your third point - no, I do not build patches that way - see Cobbler's post. And note that as the Axe-FX II evolves, so does my process for dialing them. It's a journey, not a destination. However having said that, once I dial up something I really do not touch it again unless a firmware changes the foundation of it.

I've got the earlier FW versions 1.02, 6, 9.02 and 10.05 (also the last ultra FW) and will do a/b comparisons with the recto model and post clips
I will use the same IR and avoid any deep parameters
This should be really easy for some posters to tell which is which given they can hear such huge improvements from FW to FW, I'm looking forward to the results!

But at the end of the day its all down to opinions. Whether 'problem' is the right word or not, the fact is amps have been updated all through the history of the axe-fx FW's
Who's to say it still can't be improved? Considering how some people can hear huge improvements each time a new FW gets released doesn't mean its the last time. (possibly the diezels?)
Obviously if you can hear an improvement, its not 100% perfect the last time...so is it 100% yet or will that be on FW11?

If you were getting your tones in previous FW then it likely points to a different problem other than further improvement.

Well thats the sad reality here sometimes. If its roses its taken as gospel but if there is an issue, generally everything else gets blamed first.
I've seen posts where they told a user that because he had $200 m-audio speakers that was the reason he couldn't get it to sound good.....thats really sad

The vast majority of issues are user based,.......doctors are usually right with their first intuitions .....if what is prescribed does not work, a deeper examination is in order.

albiet crude suggestions do surface now and again....but generally and for SURE ...these guys are sincere in assisting as best they can.

it would be nice to see a new video of what your patches sound like now
to me it just looks your using this thread for a bunch of self promotion.
Check out my tone here, check out my tone here.
lets see or hear some clips/vids comparing what you patches sound like compared to your originals
how are we supposed to help you if we can't hear what is different?

This. It's like a desperate plea for help without actually wanting the help being offered.

Re-posted for truth. Rejoice my brothers!:

ipraiseyoupraiseweallpr.jpg

Last edited:
----------------------
-—-—--------------
I've got the earlier FW versions 1.02, 6, 9.02 and 10.05 (also the last ultra FW) and will do a/b comparisons with the recto model and post clips
I will use the same IR and avoid any deep parameters
This should be really easy for some posters to tell which is which given they can hear such huge improvements from FW to FW, I'm looking forward to the results!

I'd like to see the OP get the help he's asking for. After all, this thread is about HIM, and is sadly getting sidetracked by a couple posters with an off-topic axe to grind. Animal, your idea is an interesting one that would make a splash in a thread of its own. Why don't you go that route rather than continue to take this further off topic?

In the meantime, I agree that since the OP is asking for very pointed advice, the best items he could provide are audio clips of the good and bad, preset .syx files of same, and as much descriptive detail about his guitar and any other gear as he can give the forum.

Interested to see how or if this gets resolved.

see Cliff's most recent thread, "Oops". Those who felt the Mesa models were screwy should feel redeemed and vindicated, finding that there was in fact a problem. And good for you for sticking to your guns - you know your gear and trusted your ears. Feather in your cap. Also, Cliff admitted the error, which is pretty big of him. He could've easily swept it under the rug and released a new f/w with notes regarding improved Mesa models, but he fessed up. This gets big points IMO, and shows that he's human, and cares about his products and customers. This is success story for the forum, putting aside the odd sh!t slinging that can happen when people disagree. It's not about making mistakes, but how you respond when a mistake is made. Proof that this forum works and contributes to the ongoing improvement of the AxeFx. :encouragement:

see Cliff's most recent thread, "Oops". Those who felt the Mesa models were screwy should feel redeemed and vindicated, finding that there was in fact a problem. And good for you for sticking to your guns - you know your gear and trusted your ears. Feather in your cap. Also, Cliff admitted the error, which is pretty big of him. He could've easily swept it under the rug and released a new f/w with notes regarding improved Mesa models, but he fessed up. This gets big points IMO, and shows that he's human, and cares about his products and customers. This is success story for the forum, putting aside the odd sh!t slinging that can happen when people disagree. It's not about making mistakes, but how you respond when a mistake is made. Proof that this forum works and contributes to the ongoing improvement of the AxeFx. :encouragement:

Hilarious how some of the fanbois took a shit on a few of us who have been saying all along that the Rectos don't sound the same in FW10. Love it...

Hilarious how some of the fanbois took a shit on a few of us who have been saying all along that the Rectos don't sound the same in FW10. Love it...

Well, feel free to take the high road...or not. If you think gloating is a good idea, go for it. Depending on how the Mesa models were set up determined whether or not the tonal difference was obvious or not, or so it would seem based on Cliff's explanation. Blind fanboy-ism is kind of unseemly (oh well...it's a FAS forum, right?), as are those who are unnecessarily negative and combative. Oh well.

Well, feel free to take the high road...or not. If you think gloating is a good idea, go for it. Depending on how the Mesa models were set up determined whether or not the tonal difference was obvious or not, or so it would seem based on Cliff's explanation. Blind fanboy-ism is kind of unseemly (oh well...it's a FAS forum, right?), as are those who are unnecessarily negative and combative. Oh well.

Not gloating at all, and I'm only referring to a few individuals who criticized us for voicing our opinions/observations....anyways, whatever it's all good..

Firstly, I am going to say it again. I didn't see anybody "taking a shit" on anyone except for the few who took exception to AussieBumR69 making absurd and derogatory comments towards Mark and Scott.

Secondly, what I saw was a lot of people trying to help others and offer up ways to solve what some consider issues and others didn't. It could very well be as Cliff suggested in his OOOPS thread that the issues could be in the high gain realm which IMHO would make sense as to the difference results many were getting. It's the very reason many people trying to help asked for before and after reference clips and patches. That's how things get solved.

Thirdly I revisited your interactions in this thread so I am going to use you as an example to point out something that has been bothering me of late. All the talk of fanboyism , cultism, and the worshiping of others is complete and absolute rubbish. Can you point out and explain to me where in the following interaction you had in the thread where you were "SHIT ON"? Is it where Chef said he felt the Rectos are superb? Or Says who?

I am being serious here. Where were you shit on in this thread? He had a different opinion than you and my second point above may very well explain that. You want to be respected for having an different opinion yet you don't show any if others don't agree with you. He didn't complain that you were shitting on him and furthermore nobody labeled you. Yet you felt shit on and had to pull out the obligatory fanboi label.

Can we just stop all this bullshit? I mean really. It's getting so old and IMHO is just plain childish and serves no purpose whatsoever.

I don't like the Rectifiers in FW10, in previous firmware they were awesome. Not sure why they were so drastically changed in FW10? Before it would nail it almost perfect, now it sounds completely different and nothing like a real rectifier IMO....
Are you freaking kidding me? The Rectifiers are superb in FW10.
Superb? In what way? They don't sound as close to the real rectifiers as they did in previous FW...and yes I've played with and tweaked them for days. Not as good..
SAYS WHO???????????
LOTS of people.
Im kinda glad I came in at 10.05, cause I havent heard how great the other firmwares are, and now I wont know because im going to force myself to go forward. That would suck having a better tone but no axe-edit, so im thankfully going to just live with 10 and above.
FW 10 is great, don't get me wrong. My only issue is the rectifiers, that's it...
Just wondering hiss, was mentioned. Is it only hiss or something else that has changed ?
I don't hear any hiss, the amps just sound completely different....

Lastly, kudos to Cliff for digging in, finding some issues, and publically acknowledging it. Hopefully the issues that were found will be fixed in a timely manner and everyone will be happy.

Last edited:
No bullshit from me. I stated a few SIMPLE opinions, that's all. This obviously doesn't only pertain to this thread either, it's been brought up lots in other threads and elsewhere....not going to waste any time with this...sorry.

Thanks to Cliff for stepping up and letting us know. Pretty awesome. HUGE respect from me for sure..

WOW - Really?????
thankyou thankyou!!!
Please link me in on this - please.

My guitar supplier in the US (big ups to Matt's Music) I believe often lends amps to Fractal (I assume to Cliff???)
So I should quiz him if he lent out any Mesa's he had lying around.

Guys... for those hitting me up in A NEGATIVE WAY to put pre/post stuff up...
Give me a break - haha
I only posted the thread a few days ago for opinions - I've barely even recovered from the weekend!!!
And I linked a few vids up of the past of my exact tones that I liked but no longer sounded like that on FW10 - and was kinda hoping users better than me with FW10 could share some sounds to try that sounded superior to mine.

Animal - HUGE agreeance with you and your comments back to Scott and more broadly to others who think they know it all and just spin sh*t - thankyou and look forward to you A/B'ing yr recto sounds!
Hopefully will make other ppl happy and save me time A/B'ing sounds.

Trolls being positive and negative to anyone here - everyone just ignore them - enough time wasted.

Oh... and that Kudos C%NT having a direct go at me... F#CK U D|CKHEAD - I'd KUTFO
This thread was directly related to my sounds and opinions from the community and needing genuine help - hence the length/likes etc...
For Self Promotion unrelated to my Axe-Fx Sounds...
HERE U GO:
I make $20k + a month to play guitar with some of the best DJ's in the World and while we're at it - get hottest girls/models into clubs and give them free drinks and whatever else we want ;)
Search my Facebook Page - "Lenny D" - please LIKE and more than welcome to check my guitars, hear some clips, and see the shows I play and girls I kick it with.
My youtube Acoustic SHOWS - search "Lenny D Acoustic" or "Lenny D Show" or "BoomBashaTV" (YES Axe-Fx is used)
My EDM releases with Kronic, Bomb Squad (Ministry Of Sound) coming 2nd half of the year (axe-fx used on some) will chart on our ARIA charts
My underground/soulful House Release "Beautiful Thing" with Connect:d - hear my Fender sounds (no Axe-FX) and buy on Traxsouce
US Releases with former Wyclef Jean artist DeJuan coming
LMFAO, Beyonce's musical director, and Flo Rida Support show rough clips - search Youtube "LennyDExtras"
That's just only a bit...
So as desperate as it sounds - there u go.

The outcome of this thread...
I'll try mess with 10.x again with the advice of the positive responses, try a few users patches...
BUT
Prob stick with WHAT WORKS right now for me and it's 6 at this stage gigging week to week...
AND
Keep using and getting the best of the Axe-fx II of course!

Cheers.

No bullshit from me. I stated a few SIMPLE opinions, that's all. This obviously doesn't only pertain to this thread either, it's been brought up lots in other threads and elsewhere....not going to waste any time with this...sorry.

Of course you cannot waste anymore time supporting your FALSE claim which is in fact the "bullshit: I was referencing. You pulled the fanboi card and said you were shit on by them IN THIS THREAD yet you actually were not in any way shape or form. Your capitulation is duly noted. :lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom