FW10 has really F-d UP my Mesa Patches :( ... lot's of work or back to V6???

As a clinical neuropsychologist, I find the "discussions" and level of anger interesting from a social psychology perspective. Some individuals who do not enjoy the changes in the latest firmware are evidently extremely pleased with their earlier firmware. This is what is beautiful about the product. They can choose to change to the new firmware, stay with their current sounds, or even go back to earlier versions. However, some individuals, rather than choosing to be satisfied with their amazing tones, choose to attack the new firmware and the users of said product! That is, they simply do not want others to enjoy something that they fail to achieve. This is just the old social psych phenomena of "not wanting the other guy to achieve more than me." Therefore, they erroneously conclude that Mark Day must play through exotic equipment given to him unfairly by the guitar gods or aliens at a music store. It could not simply be because the gentleman is an amazing musician with chops and tone to die for AND is also willing to share his discoveries with lesser talents. Me? Why I am just as happy as a clam using Mr. Day's patches and knowledge whenever and however he chooses to share it.

This amazing company chooses not to rest on its laurels but continues to challenge themselves and us. I hope they never succumb to those who fear that someone else will "get a leg up" or sound better or achieve more than them. What other product allows you to choose operation firmware within minutes? Those who complain venomously are simply afraid: Afraid they will fail while others achieve. It is childhood fear and is an anathema to creativity.

To Matt or Cliff:
Is the original physical IIc+ that serve as the mother for the IIc+ model in the Axe II an "on board GEQ" or a "NON-GEQ"?

This is NOT a whining question, just a question out of curiosity since there is "story" written by Dough West in the Mark V manual about the differences of the two versions.
Short story, the Non-geq has a smaller cap somewhere before or after the power amp which filters out some low end and make the Non-geq feel quicker and more cutting.
This would easily be accomplished in the axe, haha! Harder in reality!

I'm fairly confident Matt is talking about his experience working with Petrucci the other day, so judging from my knowledge of JPs amps I'd say it is a GEQ one.

agreed. there aren't any tricks needed any more. the model behaves like the real amp, so real world experience applies.

i've made you a quick patch as a starter, it has all the elements needed. i did have some some externals attached for volume and a lead boost, but i've removed them. no advanced parameters were harmed in the making of this patch. use the peq after the amp block to fine tune. the depth control also has a lot of effect in the amp block in terms of how much "thump" it has. sounds decent to me and i'm sure with a little fine tuning it could sound really great

Nice and heavy!

Regarding the adv params: you did adjust Input Trim. :)

agreed. there aren't any tricks needed any more. the model behaves like the real amp, so real world experience applies.

i've made you a quick patch as a starter, it has all the elements needed. i did have some some externals attached for volume and a lead boost, but i've removed them. no advanced parameters were harmed in the making of this patch. use the peq after the amp block to fine tune. the depth control also has a lot of effect in the amp block in terms of how much "thump" it has. sounds decent to me and i'm sure with a little fine tuning it could sound really great
Now this I don't get?
sometimes I have to do some serious EQ-ing out to my FX loop block to get the amp sim to sound similar to it's FRFR version. Other times as with this patch I barely had to do anything. It sounds great
with a very minor tweak to the 250 range (boost it by 1.42) and the 31K up 2, and it sounds as good thru my matrix 2X12.
thanks for sharing this, that PEQ makes a huge difference.

think a blindfold clip test of the recto model on FW 11 ultra & FW 1, 9.02 and 10 on the II might be a neat thing to do
I might whip something up using the same cab and close settings
It should be pretty easy to pick which is which for the guys that hear such huge improvements EVERY single update ;)

Care to share this preset, for science? :)

yeah, would love to hear and also know the IIC+ amp settings used and compare against the patch.
I have a Mark V combo you'll see it in my clips ;) and drive V30 cabs and also previously owned a Mark IV back in the day, so pretty familiar with it and also the common "Petrucci" settings!

I also had a little play recording into DAW with a SM57 (greenbacks Quad) my Carvin Legacy IO and comparing against the Leggy Sims...
This Amp Steve Vai borrowed from me in 2004 to use for his Ultrazone Australasian tour - you see it at 32secs of this clip

I didn't get great results with this comparison either :(
But maybe coz the amp modelled was a Legacy II or III??? Anybody know which one???

The Fender sounds I did get great results tho matching my oldschool Silverface with Double verb sim - my engineer couldn't tell the difference!

Busted!

But I don't really think of input trim as an "advanced" parameter...

I've seen the input trim tip pop up quite a bit, so it's good that the dirty secret has shown it's face again. Everyone should be familiar with this!

The MATCH is comparing the sound of a certain guitar through the Axe-Fx to the sound of the SAME guitar through the amp.
That common source limits the compensation strictly to differences between the two systems under analysis.
So as long as you make sure that the guitar used is able to elicit the full range of tones from the amp, tone matching translates when you change guitars.

I've experienced this firsthand many times.

Pointing this out again.

EVERYTHING in your chain is important. You say 'good guitar', and the patch *should* sound great with it. Not true. I would argue, the guitar, and the IR are the most important parts of the equation. The amp is mutable, so it can adjust, but a certain sonic texture will be imprinted with a guitar and an IR; and have the most effect on tone.

Still stand by it. Retweak and you'll sound better, but if you care not for that option, be happy with what FW you have.

R

it would be nice to see a new video of what your patches sound like now
to me it just looks your using this thread for a bunch of self promotion.
Check out my tone here, check out my tone here.
lets see or hear some clips/vids comparing what you patches sound like compared to your originals
how are we supposed to help you if we can't hear what is different?

it would be nice to see a new video of what your patches sound like now
to me it just looks your using this thread for a bunch of self promotion.
Check out my tone here, check out my tone here.
lets see or hear some clips/vids comparing what you patches sound like compared to your originals
how are we supposed to help you if we can't hear what is different?

+1 ;)

I didn't want to say it, but I am getting the same vibe.

Got to be honest, factory preset 13 I think it is, sounds near identical to the way my Mark V on Channel 3 (Mark IV setting) sounds. With a few tweaks here and there and then maybe adding a PEQ there should be no reason you can't get your old patches' sounds and your Mesa tones within minutes. Even back on Firmware 8 I tonematched my Mark V via slave out and in 10 minutes I had 'my sound' or at least the sound I had been using at the time.

If you use your ears, and you already have tones of what your sound was like before, it should take you no longer than a few minutes to get those same sounds. They probably sound much better now as v10 did some magic to the mesa sims..

I dialed in Simeons IIC+ patch in literally 5 minutes using my Jackson SL2H to work FRFR and thru my matrix ->cab.
nothing wrong with V10.02, but like I said earlier 9.02 to me was the cats meow for FRFR. Go to that for more of that polished tone that you seem to like , there is a link here somewhere that has all of the previous
FW's.

I think people should get off the OP back. It seems that nobody can say anything negative about the axe fx without a whole buch of people getting stuck into them. Who cares what mark day or Scott Peterson do they are not the be all and end all. It's like this forum is a cult where everyone worships mark day and Scott Peterson. I'm pretty sure this forum is full of white middle/upperclass males who are more interested in technology more than music. Stop the hero worship and stop making people feel like idiots. This forum is no different to others where people get flamed its just done with more sophisticated language. Before anyone says if u don't like it then don't come on here I won't be back I sick of it not a friendly forum if u have a different opinion, it's just as bad as a religion.

I think people should get off the OP back. It seems that nobody can say anything negative about the axe fx without a whole buch of people getting stuck into them. Who cares what mark day or Scott Peterson do they are not the be all and end all. It's like this forum is a cult where everyone worships mark day and Scott Peterson. I'm pretty sure this forum is full of white middle/upperclass males who are more interested in technology more than music. Stop the hero worship and stop making people feel like idiots. This forum is no different to others where people get flamed its just done with more sophisticated language. Before anyone says if u don't like it then don't come on here I won't be back I sick of it not a friendly forum if u have a different opinion, it's just as bad as a religion.

tumblr_lhu3xi8e7Q1qhft1qo1_500.jpg

Mark Day and Peterson wordshipsers LOL
I think many will agree that certain user patches are hyped up - then a let down when translated in
and everyone entitled to a fair opinion

I don't think people are on the OP's back. I see many interacting with him trying to help and offer suggestions on how he can obtain his v6 sounds in v10 or giving reasons why it just isn't possible with his V6 presets constructed as is. Most the complaints have come regarding AussieBumR69's derogatory post about Mark and Scott. AussieBumR69 is obviously a troll with his whopping 11 posts.

Many persons who have been here for years happen to think highly of Mark and Scott. What is so wrong about that? There was no reason for AussieBumR69's original post about them. It had absolutely nothing to do with the thread topic. They have helped hundreds of persons with their time and knowledge so when morons like AussieBum toss out their vitriol they get some back in reply. It's human nature and has absolutely NOTHING at all to do with cults, religion, or worshiping. In fact, I find it absolutely absurd that someone would even think that much less chastise persons for it.

And what does it really matter what forum members primary interests, ethnicity, or social statuses are? So if you are more musically interested and I am more technically inclined you are more special? Nice elitist attitude there! Maybe just maybe if you honestly think posters here are worshiping the likes of Mark and Scott in a religious fashion it's you who has the problem and maybe even some self confidence issues if you come away feeling like an idiot. Or hey, maybe the shoe actually fits?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom