New owner's experiences

jimfergie

I'm into week two as a new owner, these are just my observations as a newbie. First the unit's sounds are obviously great. I can just use one or two setups and be happy, $2,200 is expensive, but I can afford it and don't have to worry if there's something better. I only use it through headphones and my computer and that functions very well.
The whole upgrading, firmware, downloading USB drivers, upgrading the computer so the driver works, Axe Edit won't work with my operating system, beta versions is all a bunch of crap as a consumer.
Mac OS 10.6.8 does work with the USB driver, even though the online manual says 10.7.4. I upgraded my computer to get that to work. I downloaded and upgraded to Version 10.02. The download takes a few seconds, however the upgrading process and loading all three banks takes over an hour on my computer using the SysEx Librarian (this is on a week old unit). I won't be able to use Axe Edit beta as it apparently needs 10.7.4. Apparently the real version wouldn't be available until the end of year anyway. We've been over this whole operating system upgrading thing before on a previous post, I don't need or want all the IPhone and IPad crap in 10.7 and 10.8 so it's my fault, I'm stuck.
The paper manual is very good, the Wiki site is very good, the YouTube videos by Pete Thorn, Bernd Kiltz, Scott Peterson and Katsukurimedia are excellent. This Forum can have good information but it seems like the guys that have been around a while are very hostile to anyone that has a complaint. There a bunch of guys that are sympathetic and offer helpful advice though, thank you to them.

That's it!

Jim

I have a MacBook Pro running 10.6.8 and all works fine for me, including with the latest firmware. I use Fractal-Bot to load firmware (v10 and 10.02) and the preset banks, and both load in minutes. I've used the latest Axe-Edit (briefly) as well, and it seemed to work fine, though I'm mainly a 'front panel' guy.

I've also been around for a while.

Why did you not use the Fractal Bot to upgrade? Takes just a minute or two to upload and update everything. I used the Sysex and found that it didn't upload everything right.

This Forum can have good information but it seems like the guys that have been around a while are very hostile to anyone that has a complaint. There a bunch of guys that are sympathetic and offer helpful advice though, thank you to them.
Jim, with all due respect, in defense of the "guys that have been around a while" (of which I'm one. I've actually been a forum member since 2008 ) - the *sense of entitlement* is very strong with many new owners.

Many of these new owners appear to not be able to tweak a simple guitar amp for tone, let alone begin to understand the depths that this magic black box offers. They heard it's the best thing in modelers, so they bought one. Ta-da!! All will be perfect now. :encouragement:

They have no basic computer skills, don't read "minimum requirements" info of the web site, refuse to read the OM, the wiki (or other available documentation), refuse to take the advice that they are offered here, refuse to "search the forum" before posting the same question (again!), complain loudly when something doesn't instantly work - or isn't available - as expected (as if Fractal was a Yamaha/Roland-sized outfit), wouldn't know a bug if it bit them, then wonder why those who have been around a while have a little "attitude" when they REPEAT post yet anther dumb question that was just answered 3 posts BELOW the one they just typed! That's why many of those older folks simply don't post here that much anymore. Too many people simply do not listen, nor appear to want to!

Most of those older people are *more than happy to help any new owner* that has at a minimum, made the effort to resolve the problem on their own, then come here for help. We are not hostile. We are tired of answering the same question over and over. I've got to the point where I don't even read the "how do I update the v10 banks" or "Can Fractal-Bot send individual presets" threads anymore.

Unfortunately some of the new owners who are not like that get caught in the net.

<flame suit on>

Last edited:
+1 for what s0c9 said.

Seriously, why is that people feel they need jump right in and start taking jabs at people? You're a brand new member/owner and you already have a chip on your shoulder? :roll

That's absolutely true. But on the other hand, when you jump in you do expect this black box to be magic -- and magic is supposed to be easy. I was almost driven to madness when I started with an Ultra, an Art SL 2 amp that didn't even use regular speaker cables and a Behringer FCB foot controller that was a completely new pain in the ass experience to program. You get frustrated, you get angry. It's human nature.

When you stay on for the ride though, you're just astounded at how Fractal keeps making something that seemed great even better and pretty frequently at that.

Jim, with all due respect, in defense of the "guys that have been around a while" (of which I'm one. I've actually been a forum member since 2008 ) - the *sense of entitlement* is very strong with many new owners.

Many of these new owners appear to not be able to tweak a simple guitar amp for tone, let alone begin to understand the depths that this magic black box offers. They heard it's the best thing in modelers, so they bought one. Ta-da!! All will be perfect now. :encouragement:

They have no basic computer skills, don't read "minimum requirements" info of the web site, refuse to read the OM, the wiki (or other available documentation), refuse to take the advice that they are offered here, refuse to "search the forum" before posting the same question (again!), complain loudly when something doesn't instantly work - or isn't available - as expected (as if Fractal was a Yamaha/Roland-sized outfit), wouldn't know a bug if it bit them, then wonder why those who have been around a while have a little "attitude" when they REPEAT post yet anther dumb question that was just answered 3 posts BELOW the one they just typed! That's why many of those older folks simply don't post here that much anymore. Too many people simply do not listen, nor appear to want to!

Most of those older people are *more than happy to help any new owner* that has at a minimum, made the effort to resolve the problem on their own, then come here for help. We are not hostile. We are tired of answering the same question over and over. I've got to the point where I don't even read the "how do I update the v10 banks" or "Can Fractal-Bot send individual presets" threads anymore.

Unfortunately some of the new owners who are not like that get caught in the net.

<flame suit on>

Quoted so it gets reposted!

100% accurate. Only thing you left out was the "I paid $2,200 so why doesn't this box play itself" crowd. :D

Some good points and counters raised here :encouragement:

Whilst there will be some defence of what is perfectly normal to the regulars (rightly so), I think it's always important to be mindful of how things can perhaps be 'perceived' by newcomers who are not yet aware of the personalities or commonalities which, quite naturally, exist :)

like I said, these are just my observations as new owner, by the way, Matt and the support team are very good, quick responses to their customers.

I must be odd I read the whole Axe FX manual before I got on the waiting list, when there was a waiting list. It's part of the reason I chose to buy the unit.

I also agree with s0c9, good points.

LOL I did the same thing before I made the plunge!!!

The people on these forums are awesome and are always very helpful.

like I said, these are just my observations as new owner, by the way, Matt and the support team are very good, quick responses to their customers.

I'm a relatively new owner and didn't have some the issues you raised.

I used FractalBot and had no problems upgrading the FM and used AE 1.9 to switch around my presets, load some new ones up from Axe Change and audition them as well. I've even tweaked some of the presets using AE without any issues so far.

I'm actually amazed at how smoothly everything has gone so far!

Welcome to the Forum Jimfergie. Were a lively bunch, with opinions and everything, just ignore the ones you don't like, I do. Great family here.

+1 for what s0c9 said.

Dude, SO MANY people here, like Scott Peterson, Cobbler, Yek etc. etc. etc. not only answer the same questions over and over, they produce videos, long 'articles' all kinds of stuff, on their own dime.

I don't think I've ever seen a community geared towards a piece of technology that is more helpful in terms of getting others up to speed, coming up with interesting, out-of-the-box solutions to problems/requests.

You will also rarely find a company as devoted to upgrading and support as FAS. They've suffered growing pains due to their explosive success - hence problems with Axe Edit, but they are constantly improving their product and, yes, Cliff too answers the same questions over and over again, usually quite patiently.

Nothing's perfect - I don't like the Axe's looper, for example - so I bought another. There have been fits and starts with software, and people seem to still grumble about when they'll get their MFC units but MY GOD: from the Std to the II, these things are amazing, the company that makes 'em is amazing, and the user community is CHOCK full of very intelligent, crafty, creative, helpful, funny human beings.

Even when we have disagreements (and I have had some very harsh ones over non-FAS topics in the Lounge), the person I am disagreeing with, who is actively pissed off at me, will still turn around and help me with a technical problem - that is just damn inspiring.

P.S. Thanks, Cobbler. I apologize - from the <3.

I've had my axe now for quite a few months, and I have to say that everyone has been ridiculously generous with their time, expertise, and method of instruction (when needed) when it comes to handling my noob questions (and I am full of them).

It also depends on how the person articulates their question. There is always two sides to every story. Categorizing a group of people who "have been around awhile", in my opinion, is not a fair statement. Just as it wouldn't be fair of me to say that "all new guys come in and complain".

In my case, even though I have had this thing for a little while now, the amount of, not only user, but FAS expertise that always seem to be readily available to help, is priceless in this forum.

I surely would not risk generating a stereotype about people if I have only been exposed to a couple of guys that sound frustrated, especially when I am so new to this whole thing.

The good far outweighs any bad in this place, trust me.

I have asked numerous stupid ass questions, and everyone so far has been really cool about answering them, however I have terrible computer skills, so I have not yet attempted to upgrade from 9.02 to 10, mainly because of bank updating (the mecca of my confusion) as well as the small amount of negativity surrounding the bugs and harshness of 10.02. If there was a video instructing every miniscule detail, and I mean EVERY detail from start to finish, of the updating process using Fractal Bot (Windows 64, firmware 10, the banks A, B, and C) then I would try it. Buy the way, I have watched all the current instructional videos on the forum, maybe I missed one?? KatsuKuriMedia vids are awesome, especially the one about clipping. What made it great was that an 8 year old could understand it, I just want the 8 year old version of firmware and bank updating process w/Windows 64 using Fractal Bot, that would be the shizzle. If this video exists, hook me up!

Last edited:
@Jason W. The KatsuKuriMedia videos are Mac based as that is what Kris uses. I use Windows 7 64. I may have some time in the next week or two to see if I can come up with something on banks, firmware upgrades and stuff.

Thanks dude, that would be great! I'm sure that after baby stepping through it at least once, that I can commit it to memory and not have to worry about such things for future upgrades. Much appreciated stratamania!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom