Version 10.00 Stuff

I'd heard that a Master Volume of 10 was equivalent to 11 on the real-world amp. I guess this wasn't—or is no longer—true?

Pre-10 that was true. You should set the MV to 9.00 on non-MV amps to get the real world equivalent and >9 was taking it beyond reality. For 10.00 this has changed.

I like the fact that i will Get more mids from the recto amps
When master is turned up... Just like the real dual recto.
The problem with the real amp is that it gets insanely loud.

Slightly off topic, but... Will all new amps simply be tone matches from here on out? Were they always? If not, why? They are pretty much identical and it seems to be a lot less work than modeling from ground up.

Well, I don't want to go against the flow here, but I'm pretty disappointed in the news of Version 10's features.

I felt sure that by Version 10 the Axe II would play the guitar for me, better than I can.

It's getting hard to imagine how Version 11 could be better, so the auto-play feature must be coming in that version.

Slightly off topic, but... Will all new amps simply be tone matches from here on out? Were they always? If not, why? They are pretty much identical and it seems to be a lot less work than modeling from ground up.

Just from what he said, this is not 'tone matching' like we do on our other process. This is a whole new way of modeling an amp which takes a pile of unknown (Patent applied for!) parameters and monitoring methods to provide the most accurate representation of the machine to date.

Don't call it a comeback.

-LL C J.

Well, I don't want to go against the flow here, but I'm pretty disappointed in the news of Version 10's features.

I felt sure that by Version 10 the Axe II would play the guitar for me, better than I can.

It's getting hard to imagine how Version 11 could be better, so the auto-play feature must be coming in that version.

True. I thought for sure there would be a "de-suck" button. Disappointing.

I've seen videos of close ups of Vai's Axe-FX with nothing selected on the front screen for AMP1: AMP2:
NOT USED

So I would conclude it's really just for effects only.

Still lots to do. I have some amps coming in and I still have a bunch of amps to put through the MIMIC process.

This is what I have so far:

Fixed a myriad of mistakes in the amp models as MIMIC also identifies when there are significant deviations between the theoretical model and the actual amp.

Tweaked power amp modeling slightly to increase even-order harmonics. This makes most models “sweeter”.

Improved triode modeling removes “glare” from distortion yielding greater clarity and string separation. Note that the Triode Hardness parameter operates differently than before and also defaults an appropriate value when the model type is selected. Existing presets are automatically updated upon recall.

Fixed Hi Cut control in Amp block not working properly for some amp types.

Removed all Motor Drive processing in cab block if Motor Drive is set to zero. This is subtle but there was a tiny bit of coloration before even when the Motor Drive was off.

Changed outermost bands in all graphic EQs to shelving types.

I'm really looking forward to hearing what difference the following changes will make to the modelling, the top end is where I struggle to tame things when playing, it seems like these changes could make a real difference in this area. Combined with MIMIC this could be one serious update! I've also been messing with some new IRs that I happened upon, they sound really great and I'll be doing some clips of them soon.

Spence

I've seen videos of close ups of Vai's Axe-FX with nothing selected on the front screen for AMP1: AMP2:
NOT USED

So I would conclude it's really just for effects only.

I don't know why everyone automatically think that everyone that has an axe must use the sims. Maybe he's happy with his sound and uses the axe for fx because it's easier than doing a tap dance routine with his pedal board.it's not like he had to Carry his rig and set it up at every gig.

I did not read it that way. IIRC I think he meant that redundant parameters were removed.
IE: Parameters with multiple iterations across multiple pages were reduced (but not illiminated) in order to streamline the Axe II's interface. With all the bells n whistles having been added over time menus can get cluttered. This is a good thing, no?

From the preliminary release notes:
Preliminary v10.0 release notes said:
Also removed grid excursion parameters. These parameters can still be accessed via Axe-Edit.

Along the same lines, one should not assume that just because they saw an artist using an Axe FX II in one configuration means that is the ONLY configuration they ever use it.

We are visual creatures, so if we don't see it, it doesn't happen!

How does mimic effect FAS amps if they are not real world devices, or does it?

I'm interested in that aspect too, since the FAS Modern is my alltime favourite amp of the universe forever and the end of time and until FAS comes along with something more betterer.

^^^^^
I'd imagine there is no MIMICing to be done as there is nothing to compare it to. As he is designing the amp from scratch, the chance of making errors in reverse engineering the circuit are less, which is one of the major things the MIMIC process seems to highlight. The FAS amps (if the correct idealized circuit is mapped into the firmware) should work as per the theoretical circuit design & would be dependent solely on the component values & types entered.

There are so many possibilities with this approach. I want to see a 6 gain stage amp but with each stage overdriving only minutely for the ultimate touch sensitive "edge of breakup" sound. Or an amp with two (or three) separate parallel pre-amp gain stages dedicated to lower & higher frequencies ranges (split them like a crossover before the gain stages), such that you can get clean bass sounds & overdriven highs for example.

Back
Top Bottom