Version 5.00 firmware preview

Why would you call free firmware updates "ridiculous"?

Maybe it wasn't clear enough. What I meant with "ridiculous" is that after each major firmware update the changes are so massive that I had to dial in my sounds from scratch. It's great that the unit was and will be improved with firmware updates but this is something I don't understand. My car recently had a major firmware update, but it still feels and drives like before ;)

Maybe it wasn't clear enough. What I meant with "ridiculous" is that after each major firmware update the changes are so massive that I had to dial in my sounds from scratch. It's great that the unit was and will be improved with firmware updates but this is something I don't understand. My car recently had a major firmware update, but it still feels and drives like before ;)

Your car is mostly based on hardware - mechanical stuff, despite the firmware. The AxeFx firmware changes a much bigger percentage of the total product - since the product itself is digital based.

Right, but now it handles better and therefor 'feels' better. It still takes some amount of getting used to...

Wow! what an awesome update.... I've been tweeking patches alot latley and can't wait to get hold of this :) It seems to me if some have been tweeking to get their patches like they want, well... it's much easier each time you do it.... so I don't understand the problem with FW updates? I actually enjoy it myself.
At first I was worried that Cliff got it perfect and patches would be hard to duplicate after updates, but it just gets better everytime. It's not really any harder than setting the tone and gain/master on a real amp, unless of course you want it to be. :)

Earthworks TC30. I spent no time on the capture. Put the mic about 2" from the grille and about halfway between center and edge. Pressed Capture.

I think the fact that the TC30 is omni/pressure rather than cardioid/pressure gradient has something to do with the organic "feel". I might have to look into getting an M23, as it's cheaper than the TC30, has much higher sensitivity and is 5 dB quieter.

Last edited:
I'm not of the mindset that the point of the AxeFXII is to tweak on it all day long because I bought it because of how it sounds period. I don't need 8 million patches, I need about 10 good ones to cover my needs and wants, anything else is bonus. But the thing is that the development process that Fractal uses is what makes that sound possible. If there were no firmware updates we'd all be at the same place we were 5 years ago.

You just can't expect improvement without change.

On the other hand I've got an 11R I'm selling that hasn't had a firmware update of any kind in the last year and that was only one bug fix and an expansion pack I had to shell out $100 for. I'll retweak my patches with a big grin on my face.

You won't have to do much, if any tweaks with this except turn up and have fun.

I'll take back my earlier comments about having to do anything, except the most minor of tweaks - if any - and 99.999% of them are EQ tonestack in your amp block (bass/middle/treble/presence). I've just spent an hour with it and beat the hell out of it best I can; the only thing you really need pay attention to (in this version I have at the moment) is the Dynamics - some amps feel better at default and some sound better with it cranked up. The dynamics control equals a warm amp versus an amp running hot for a few hours wide open. You choose where - or any point in between.

In other words - if you are allergic to tweaking, do not fear 5.0.

If you like amps that feel like they've been heating those tubes up for an hour or two at full blast... you'll like this.

A cool thing to mention (Cliff said it too) is that it allows you make the amp feel like it is wide open, even at low whisper output volumes. Feel as in feel as a player and amp. It's intoxicating and in Cliff's words - like adding grease to it.

Last edited:
^ "Grease is the word, It's got groove, It's got feeling"

Scott, will 5.0 give me that "special feeling" Olivia Newton John gave me 34 years ago??!!

Last edited:
Yup, improves the feel too. Feels great now. I can't stop playing. I'm A/B'ing it against a JCM800 (2204) into a Faustine Phantom into my Mesa 4x12 and prefer the Axe-Fx through my studio monitors feel- and sound-wise. Chunky and greasy. The loaded JCM800 feels like I have to fight the strings and the highs are restricted sounding. The Axe-Fx notes just explode off the fretboard. Feels like playing a dimed amp at conversation volumes. The cool thing is you can adjust the dynamics. Don't want it so bouncy? Turn the knob down.

Mmmmm! Chunky, greasy and bouncy! Cliff dude, could you model me up a woman like that?

I'll repeat what I posted earlier today on TGP:

What I like and even admire about Fractal's approach is this man's dedication to the product and the product only. He strives for quality and tonal results. He doesn't rest or says "this suffices", unless a lot of other companies. No, development progresses all the time, even it pisses off those users who don't want to adjust presets after yet another firmware upgrade. To me, this approach defines being a pioneer and exhibits the driving force which makes technology advance.

A cool thing to mention (Cliff said it too) is that it allows you make the amp feel like it is wide open, even at low whisper output volumes. Feel as in feel as a player and amp. It's intoxicating and in Cliff's words - like adding grease to it.

this right here is why I bought an Axe Fx in the first place!

Okay - ordered my Axe II yesterday. Hope this is the firmware installed!
As always, Cliff, thanks for your continued great work.

KG

Hahaha... the fast pace of Fractal:

Ordered mine II in may. Got it last friday, with OS 4.01 installed (haven´t got time to play with it yet though). Had just little time yesterday so I thought that I at least could install driver (for USB connection). So I´ll be ready when I do have more time. Downloaded latest version of Reaper. Installed that, but haven´t been working in any DAW for many years so I realize that I really need to read the manual/quick guide of how to set it up and everything else.
Thought: hmmm, maybe someone at Fractal forum would like to share a Reaper template (so progress may get a little bit faster with that DAW setup), I really want to start play around with my II.

So I go to fractal forum and what do I see? Cliff, is already around doing some OS.5.00 previews/teasers...

Sweeeeeet!!!!!! :D

Nooo Smilzo...

Damn. Time to move from the standard... ;)
NOOOOO!!!! ... Your Standard is an insitution in Italy: it's our Grandma', it's our shelter from the storm... it's our pillar of Hercules...
Oh my

... an era is just about to end ...

Back
Top Bottom