Version 5.00 firmware preview

This is getting ridiculous... I spent the last weeks with adjusting my patches to fw 4.01 and now the next fw is announced with a new power amp simulation... I'll either stop upgrading the unit from now on or...

What idiot buys an amp after hearing this?!?!?!? ;)

Probably me when I'm fed up with adjusting patches...

This is getting ridiculous... I spent the last weeks with adjusting my patches to fw 4.01 and now the next fw is announced with a new power amp simulation... I'll either stop upgrading the unit from now on or...

Probably me when I'm fed up with adjusting patches...

Dude - you don't HAVE to update your firmware. If you're happy with it as it is, just let it be!

That's true, but the problem is that you miss great features if you don't upgrade once in a while. Like the IR capturing for example.

Scott, I love your v4 demo clip. They have the right "freaking great tube amp feel". I heard light "compressed" feel in Cliff's clips , but I know Cliff love smoother tone than me. Do you play with v5? It's all a matter of tweaking/playing, or v5 is "smoother" sound? - smoother for me is on the negative side, the opposite of having good crack! ;)

Yes I am playing 5.0 and the beauty is that you can dial it in how you like it in regards to dynamics and feel.

That's true, but the problem is that you miss great features if you don't upgrade once in a while. Like the IR capturing for example.

You missed my post.

At most you'll have to trim some highs and lows from your tonestack EQ.

Nothing....

...more.

there isn't really much you'll have to change in your patches with this update, as it's more of a "feel" update if you know what I mean. all new parameters default to the amps' default. of course, you can then go in and change the feel even more, make it bouncier, make it stiffer...you get the idea.

I played 5.0 live yesterday and I must say.... Johnny "5" is alive! v.3 was the game maker/breaker for me and it has only got better since. The sonic qualities of most of the amps i tried is astounding. It cuts through so much easier. I liken it to a hot knife through butter , now the knife just got hotter.

Be careful though, soon the knife becomes so hot you're missing the fact that it's not butter you're cuttin anymore..

"Check it out, it's so smooth goes straight through, no problem!" *swoosh "Wraaaagh!!!! My aaaarm! What are you doooing!!!?"

You're running down the street with a big smile on your face and limbless people is spread around.

I'm just saying, be careful :D

american-psycho-bateman.jpg

Be careful though, soon the knife becomes so hot you're missing the fact that it's not butter you're cuttin anymore..

"Check it out, it's so smooth goes straight through, no problem!" *swoosh "Wraaaagh!!!! My aaaarm! What are you doooing!!!?"

You're running down the street with a big smile on your face and limbless people is spread around.

I'm just saying, be careful :D

american-psycho-bateman.jpg

Duly noted! ;)

From both sides of the fence I understand those happy with their sounds not wanting to tweak anymore BUT if you have more scope and more amps / cabs to tweak ( for free ) it's hard to see it as a negative point in any way.
You dont buy the Axe FX II if you dont want to tweak a lot. It's sole purpose IS to be tweaked.
And as many have pointed out, if you're happy with the tones you already have, then alright ( just as many didnt upgrade from standard >> ultra >> II for this very same reason ).
The alternative is Cliff makes the Axe FX II, releases 1 firmware update every 6 months and charges $$$ for it.
Call me crazy but I prefer the way things are now.
Updating is an option. And a very nice option it is too. Take it or leave it. After the latest previews, for me it's a no brainer.

In regards to new firmware,

If you followed the Standard and Ultra progress, there were more firmware revisions early and then the rate of change tapered off.

Since the AxeFx II is soon to be on 5.0, I would *expect* the rate of firmware change to continue to be somewhat rapid.

For me, its more about aligning my expectations rather than being surprised that there are major changes coming... enjoy the ride :)

Richard

eh... another firmware? I WOULD BE HAPPY IF THE MAC-USB BUGS WOULD BE SOLVED...
Why did you post this here? PM sent

Why would you call free firmware updates "ridiculous"? I've ranted about Fractal communication style, but I've never suggested their work is anything less than amazing. Lets trade situations: I have 48 unique patches, and I gig 2 or more times a week. I'll redial yours, you redial mine.

I "pay" for my free firmware updates by committing to re-dial when there's significant changes. Cliff does this work for users like me, and I respect that work by implementing it into my live show asap regardless of the dialing required. It's my "entry fee" for product R&D and evolution. Pardon my attitude, but imho, viewing it as anything less smacks of entitlement and/or laziness.

The clip sounds very alive and 'speaker like' and am wondering if you could provide some details on the capture (mic used, NF/FF, etc.)?

Earthworks TC30. I spent no time on the capture. Put the mic about 2" from the grille and about halfway between center and edge. Pressed Capture.

Back
Top Bottom