Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was searching but couldnt find anything, so - sorry if this is answered already, but i need to know:

If i understood everything correctly, the Axe II can receive midi-data via the USB also?

So, if i plan to play live to a click-track, on my laptop, have midi-commands (preset switch etc.) programmed in the DAW, can i send them to the Axe via USB also, or do i ahve to go the Laptop -> Midi Interface -> Midi connection route?

Its not a problem, but one thing less (midi interface) to care about live is..well, one thing less to care about.

Should work. The Axe-Fx will respond to MIDI events sent over USB.

Can you tell us more about the looper functions. How much recording time and can you have more than one loop 'track' play either simultaneously or switch back and forth from one to the other?
I'd love to take the money I'm saving for a Boomerang III and move it to the AxeFxII fund...

I'll jump on board with similar looper questions.
--Will a single axe-fx II looper eventually be able to record an A section and a B section that the user can play, stop, and stack onto? (max 30 seconds a piece)
--Do we have to run 2 loopers in a single patch to do this right now with axe-fx II?

I'll jump on board with similar looper questions.
--Will a single axe-fx II looper eventually be able to record an A section and a B section that the user can play, stop, and stack onto? (max 30 seconds a piece)
--Do we have to run 2 loopers in a single patch to do this right now with axe-fx II?
Yes it can stack (overdub - A)
As far as I can see, there is only 1 instance of the looper.

Question regarding MFC-101 integration with Axe-FXII, and other MIDI devices.

Assume that I have FXII and other device set to different channels, both controlled via MFC-101. Would I use the CAT5 connection between MFC-101 and Axe-FXII, and then 5-pin between Axe-FXII MIDI thru and other device? Or, CAT5 to FXII and 5-pin to other device?

In a wet/dry/wet rig can the quick control knobs be assigned to global reverb and delay levels?
Is their global control for reverb high and low cut?

.... If I use the X/Y feature on one button, and have two amps and several effects setup, I could actually keep eveything on all the time and decide what to use in either the X or Y depending on the mix control ... correct?

So I don't need any on/off buttons assigned to anything, I just need to turn the mix off of any effect I don't want in either X or Y.

So Amp 1 is 100 mix% and Amp 2 is 0% in X, and the reverse is true in Y. Switching between X and Y basically turns on those amps or effects.

Is this correct? Any downfall to always having the effects on and the mix to 0 ... does this downgrade the signal at all?

Cliff? Sean? Scott? Just want to verify this scenario works, so no need for an assigned on/off button on my Midimate for amp 1 and 2 or any effects I want to accompany them.

My understanding is that it is two inches deeper at 12" where as AxeFX I was 10" (plus a tad). I.e. a standard 14" rack is required whereas you could stuff it into a short rack (10.5") before.
I need the dimension of the total depth of the AxeFx-II. I think you are right Vinnie about rack depth of the Ultra being 10+ but if you include the handles ( which I need to do to put it into a custom built wooden case ), then it actually measures 12" deep. This is the depth quoted in the Axe-Fx I document - from tip of handles to back of case. The documents for the II also say that it is 12" deep ( same as I ) but Cliff says the II is actually 2 in deeper than the I. So maybe the II document doesn't include the 2 in handles and I document does. Any II users out there with a tape measure? Needed --- total depth from handles to rear inputs ... thanks

Last edited:
Cliff? Sean? Scott? Just want to verify this scenario works, so no need for an assigned on/off button on my Midimate for amp 1 and 2 or any effects I want to accompany them.

Sounds like, if you only planned to switch between two amps in one patch, you wouldn't even need to bother with the mix control. You'd have a single amp block, with the x settings for one amp and the y settings for the other (you can change the amp model as part of x/y). That's assuming you want the same signal path for both.

Didn't see this question posted earlier:

Has the tuner been redesigned in such a way that it covers more range, e.g. 6-8 octaves, so that it can handle bass guitar tuning through the higher end of the guitar range? Alternatively, is there/can there be a simple way to toggle between "bass" and "guitar" tuning ranges?

I hate to bump myself, but this was seconded and I think it's a question that a fair amount of users would be interested in. Got lost in the madness.

I need the dimension the total depth of the AxeFx-II. I think you are right Vinnie about rack depth of the Ultra being 10+ but if you include the handles ( which I need to do to put it into a custom built wooden case ), then it measures 12". Documents for the Ultra and II both quote the same dimensions but Cliff says its actually 2 in deeper. Any II users out there with a tape measure? Needed --- total depth from handles to rear inputs ... thanks

I measure 12-7/8" from back of the blank panel above it in my old school SKB 4 space and 1-3/8" from front panel to handles outside edge.

Sounds like, if you only planned to switch between two amps in one patch, you wouldn't even need to bother with the mix control. You'd have a single amp block, with the x settings for one amp and the y settings for the other (you can change the amp model as part of x/y). That's assuming you want the same signal path for both.

+1

What he said. :D

Wondering Why Reverb Isn't an X/Y Block

Only the most used blocks have this feature. It's simply a second set of parameters that gets loaded. The best analogy is a two-channel head. You can use only one channel at a time.

Example, you set Drive1:X to be a Tube OD and Drive1:Y to be a PI Fuzz. Each has its own Drive, Tone, etc. You switch between the two using either the X/Y buttons or your MIDI controller.

I would consider Reverb a "most used" block but didn't see it on the list. I would gladly trade the Wah block and take Reverb instead! Of course, both would be better!

Will the Axe 2 still send the same Tuner info through the Midi Connection?

Trying to confirm that the Tuner function will still work correctly with my RJM Mastermind controller.

Thanks...

Bump....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom