Recently purchased an Ultra or Standard?

Guys, I have no sense of entitlement with my Ultra, you're taking what I'm saying out if context. I certainly never expected my Ultra to be the last piece of gear I ever bought, but I didn't expect that a company who had a key marketing standpoint of continual updates to suddenly announce that they've decided to stop updating the product that I've just bought either. I expect my Ultra to drop in value & I expect it to gradually get left behind as things progress, I don't expect a sudden over night announcement that you're recently acquired machine is now 'history' & we will not be offering you any future content as that is being kept exclusively for the new even more super-duper machines. I just feel that we should have access to all the future updates & content that our machines are capable of running (as is the case with every other piece of studio equipment that I own).

Yes ... I bought my Ultra two months ago to the day... still stoked with it... but if you look at the very last sentence printed on the very last back page; that would be page 104... it clearly says...

(Specifications subject to change without notice)

Which FAS have just done. Which part of that is hard to understand?

webe123 said:
What would fractal audio DO with all of those "traded in" units? I do not think this will happen personally.

I agree. However a nice gesture would be a discount on buying an Axe II.
Then guys could sell the very recently purchased units at a loss but save say 200 bucks on a new one. The 200 would likely not make up the difference but would be a good will gesture.

Heck, i just boughtan ultra less than a month ago, and if there was a nice deal like tgat would probably buy a II and keep the Ultra.

Hey thats not at all hard to understand but tough cheese attitude will get around very very fast on the internet, ... is that good for business?

I am not happy at the moment! I bought the Ultra in Jan. I love it though and it does all I want it to do. I will probably upgrade to the new unit but that could be a year plus until demand goes down or supplies are readily available. While I share the general frustration, we are still a ways away from this new unit being mainstream. I sincerely hope Cliff would offer an upgrade path. I don't see this happening this year though!

It is my understanding that Firmware 11 improves the poweramp block & that Cliff has said that there will be no future updates for the Ultra. ...I'd love to think that this was just a mis-quote though.

I ordered a B-Stock last week and felt absolutely STOKED about it. Purchased it through Fractal Audio webpage, where this is proudly advertised: "All sales come with a 15-day money-back guarantee (shipping not included)". Getting it today in the afternoon.

However, after the Axe-Fx ll announcement, this morning I emailed Fractal for an RMA. I'm thinking the money would be better spent on newer hardware anyways. I also got the MFC-101, so I figure I keep the MFC-101 and wait a couple of weeks for the Axe-Fx ll.

Fractal reply to my email: "B-stocks are not covered by the money-back guarantee."

In fine print, under the "Terms and Conditions", follow the asterisk after the 15-day trial, and you realize this is in fact their policy. I guess I'm disappointed at ME for not reading their policy (but who reads these things anyways?), and at FAS for not having a no sales moratorium in line with their 10 day countdown.

So instead of feeling STOKED about the Ultra arrival, I feel just like a number.

Yes ... I bought my Ultra two months ago to the day... still stoked with it... but if you look at the very last sentence printed on the very last back page; that would be page 104... it clearly says...

(Specifications subject to change without notice)

Which FAS have just done. Which part of that is hard to understand?

This is one of the most intelligent comments I've seen here.

I bought my Ultra only 3 months ago. I'm a bit upset there is a new AFX II, simply because I would have rather waited to get the new one BUT, and this is a big BUT, I'm still completely satisfied with my Ultra. I don't come anywhere near using the entire processing potential of the Ultra. My patches are usually Drive>Filter>Amp>Cab>Delay/Reverb and that's it...in fact I could probably get by with a Standard.

I will still buy the Axe-FX II, and I will keep my Ultra as a backup. Simple. I understand there are some who can't afford to do that. They may be a bit more upset, but have to understand the Axe-Fx is 5 years old...it's time for something new and better.

I bought an Ultra a couple weeks ago. In fact I am still selling gear to pay for it. I did not buy it as an investment, I bought it to make music. Last I checked it still sounds outstanding and I am not using all of its capabilities right now. If the Ultra is in a mature state that needs little if any updates (for bugs) then I am happy to keep making music with it. In the future I may or may not buy an Axe II, it will depend on how much better the new modeling is, and whether I think my audience will get a tonal benefit out of it.

What really irritates me(VERY P**SED OFF!!!!!! ACTUALLY)is that I just bought on April 18th, 2011 and had the dialogue about a new version being available in the near future. Forget that this is what happens with technology this is a very bad way of doing business and I find it highly questionable ethics. If there is not going to be a trade-up option for those who have bought within a short period of time then I have to once again question ethics. On top of that I have not even been able to use the product due to recent surgery. Give me a break, really!!

I ordered a B-Stock last week and felt absolutely STOKED about it. Purchased it through Fractal Audio webpage, where this is proudly advertised: "All sales come with a 15-day money-back guarantee (shipping not included)". Getting it today in the afternoon.

However, after the Axe-Fx ll announcement, this morning I emailed Fractal for an RMA. I'm thinking the money would be better spent on newer hardware anyways. I also got the MFC-101, so I figure I keep the MFC-101 and wait a couple of weeks for the Axe-Fx ll.

Fractal reply to my email: "B-stocks are not covered by the money-back guarantee."

In fine print, under the "Terms and Conditions", follow the asterisk after the 15-day trial, and you realize this is in fact their policy. I guess I'm disappointed at ME for not reading their policy (but who reads these things anyways?), and at FAS for not having a no sales moratorium in line with their 10 day countdown.

So instead of feeling STOKED about the Ultra arrival, I feel just like a number.

OMG I can't believe it.

The launch of a new product should be exciting for most of users, while posts on this forum prove that something was wrong.

Just to add my 2 cents as a newbie with an Ultra that I've had for about a month and a half. Certainly you can't fault Fractal in any way (IMHO) for bringing out new technology. Do I feel a little upset that I just bought an Ultra and if I'd only known I could have had something newer/better for only a couple hundred more had I waited? Sure. Of course. Who wouldn't? But it's no fault of Fractal and I certainly am not upset with Fractal. If I'm upset with anyone it's with me for 1) waiting so long to buy an Ultra and 2) not waiting long enough to get a "II". But that's just the way things work with technology. In the end it's a bummer but it's just bad luck I guess. All that said, I think it would help soften the blow to recent purchasers if Fractal offered some sort of rebate/discount for the Axe FX II when it comes out.

This is one of the most intelligent comments I've seen here.

I bought my Ultra only 3 months ago. I'm a bit upset there is a new AFX II, simply because I would have rather waited to get the new one BUT, and this is a big BUT, I'm still completely satisfied with my Ultra. I don't come anywhere near using the entire processing potential of the Ultra. My patches are usually Drive>Filter>Amp>Cab>Delay/Reverb and that's it...in fact I could probably get by with a Standard.

I will still buy the Axe-FX II, and I will keep my Ultra as a backup. Simple. I understand there are some who can't afford to do that. They may be a bit more upset, but have to understand the Axe-Fx is 5 years old...it's time for something new and better.

That's kind of my entire point though, if the unit could run a simple chain of Axe-II software we should be given that option (even for a price), honestly find me one testimonial/review/marketing line that does not promote one of the best features of the Axe as upgradability. That's kinda what I bought in for, this is not sour grapes about having the bigger/better/best toy this is feeling genuinely mislead by the marketing of this product, on the specs face value (yes a speculative but educated guess) the ultra should be able to run simple chains of any II models and THAT is the future proofing I bought this product for, 1 month ago.

Fractal could always sell back traded units to the public (thus being an official distributor of B-Stocks). I think most (if not all) Ultra owners would trade in their Ultra for a credit towards the Axe-FX II. Thus, Fractal could have guaranteed purchases of their hottest new machine, while still being able to sell the traded in Ultras as B-Stocks etc. to folks that would be fine with the Ultra anyways. I have no bad feelings towards FAS for releasing the Axe-FX II at all - in fact, I will be picking up the II as soon as I can (once I sell some things first!)!! Great job Cliff!

Fractal could always sell back traded units to the public (thus being an official distributor of B-Stocks). I think most (if not all) Ultra owners would trade in their Ultra for a credit towards the Axe-FX II. Thus, Fractal could have guaranteed purchases of their hottest new machine, while still being able to sell the traded in Ultras as B-Stocks etc.

Very intelegent post mate, Good idea in principle but its the logistics behind doing that, probably something FAS dont want to have to worry about (faulty/damaged units)!

I don,t feel screwed ,But a courtesy lick would of been nice:) Just bought my ultra month and half ago.

What really irritates me(VERY P**SED OFF!!!!!! ACTUALLY)is that I just bought on April 18th, 2011 and had the dialogue about a new version being available in the near future. Forget that this is what happens with technology this is a very bad way of doing business and I find it highly questionable ethics. If there is not going to be a trade-up option for those who have bought within a short period of time then I have to once again question ethics. On top of that I have not even been able to use the product due to recent surgery. Give me a break, really!!

Very similar situation to me Tommy, I too discussed the possibility of a new unit with G66 at the time of my purchase & was ensured that nothing was in the pipeline & that the Ultra still had a long life ahead of it. I have also been dealing with wrist injury recently too.

I retrospect though, I do kinda regret getting involved in the conversation on here though, these things happen. As i've said from the start, I'm happy for Fractal with their new unit & best of luck to them with it. I was disappointed to hear that Cliff has said that he will no longer offer further updates for the Ultras & i don't think that the release was handled in a proper manner. But c'est la vie...

Personally, I'd be happy to pay for updated content for my existing unit & was expecting to make a purchase of that manner within the next few days. Also (although I think it's mighty cheeky to be put in this position) I wouldn't rule out selling my Ultra & a few other bits in a desperate attempt to get the new machine if that really is the only option I have to get access to the new content. I guess it's the tough shit attitude around here, following having been told about how much better than everyone else Fractal treat's their customer base, plus the rude product announcement by G66 that has pushed me to come on here & say 'hang on a minute' ...I think the Fractal fanboy thing is a little out of hand, they're a business just like any other & the sense of superiority is undignified. A new product is out, let's celebrate that while also showing a little compassion for those who have been unfortunate with the timing.

Very similar situation to me Tommy, I too discussed the possibility of a new unit with G66 at the time of my purchase & was ensured that nothing was in the pipeline & that the Ultra still had a long life ahead of it. I have also been dealing with wrist injury recently too.

When did you make the purchase? It is possible G66 had no idea... they are just a distributor, not part of Fractal, so they could have been in the dark until a couple weeks ago.

When did you make the purchase? It is possible G66 had no idea... they are just a distributor, not part of Fractal, so they could have been in the dark until a couple weeks ago.
I agree, I bear no resentment whatsoever, I was just sympathising with Tommy. I don't think I was duped when I bought my Ultra, G66 were fantastic & their customer service is impeccable, I will be giving them more business in the future for sure. :)

Back
Top Bottom