FM9 Firmware Version 6.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the different gapless settings have varying cpu usage?

“Gapless Channel/Scene/Preset has three settings; Off, Channel & Scene, and All”

8 year old CPU. 4.5 year old GPU. Fired up Alan Wake 2, cranked up the settings. 99% GPU. Fired up Cinebench. 100% CPU. No problem at all taking a screen shot and replying while all that was going on. Preemptive multitasking.View attachment 134276
Curious. What CPU usage does Task Manager report?

...I’d imagine preemptive multitasking is not a thing.
Correct. Preemptive multitasking doesn’t play well with critical real-time processing.

I bet most signal processing has to happen in order of signal flow in as close to realtime as possible. I also imagine certain effects are more responsible for irregular DSP use than others.
Also yes.

I’d bet you need to allow more buffer, closer to 20% of max, for those things to process effectively without overburdening the DSP.
Not sure what you mean by buffer, but yes, there is CPU overhead involved in keeping the box running. Though I’ve never seen a preset vary in CPU usage by 20%.

Usually in a classic computer architecture it is memory pressure that is the greatest culprit for slow downs. At least in the last decade or two of computing. If things need to swap to disk it really slows things down.
True. But the FM9 isn’t classic computer architecture. Thrashing isn’t really a thing, because you can’t afford to be swapping in and out of secondary storage when you’re making music.

Not sure what you mean by buffer, but yes, there is CPU overhead involved in keeping the box running. Though I’ve never seen a preset vary in CPU usage by 20%.
Available headroom would probably have been more appropriate. I've always been curious about how the FAS units report CPU. Does that 100% include both the DSP and the ARM chip? I figured most of the OS ran on the ARM cores so that wouldn't affect the CPU availability for signal processing. Though this is where my understanding of the DSP chips reaches its limits. :)

Welp.
I updated the Edit first, then updated the unit.
All working great till I got to a preset that peaked over the cpu limit once added gapless, fm9 froze.
I turn off fm9, turn it on again - say the unit is disconnected.
Restarted the FM9 and edit, still says it's disconnected.
Reinstalled the Edit and restarted the FM9, still disconnected!
I've unplugged the usb cable, tried different USB port, no bueno.
At this stage I'm stuck with a new firmware (which sounds great, but NO Edit or possibility to roll back, since the edit won't work.
My computer won't recognise that FM9 is even connected at this stage.
Oddly enough, I can still use the FM9 as an interface and record/listen to my pc through it, but the edit is totally lost.
Any help, please?
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/usb-connection-issues-with-the-editor-help-is-here.194108/

I updated the Edit first, then updated the unit.
All working great till I got to a preset that peaked over the cpu limit once added gapless, fm9 froze.
I turn off fm9, turn it on again - say the unit is disconnected.
Restarted the FM9 and edit, still says it's disconnected.
Reinstalled the Edit and restarted the FM9, still disconnected!
I've unplugged the usb cable, tried different USB port, no bueno.
At this stage I'm stuck with a new firmware (which sounds great, but NO Edit or possibility to roll back, since the edit won't work.
My computer won't recognise that FM9 is even connected at this stage.
Oddly enough, I can still use the FM9 as an interface and record/listen to my pc through it, but the edit is totally lost.
Any help, please?

Is this resolved? If not, one thing you might try is the old Windows trick to re-establish connection to wayward hardware.

Look for the FM9 in your control panel's "Device Manager". I'm not at my PC, so I don't know where it will be hiding (probably inside the "sound, video & game controller" group... or even the generic USB group). When you find it, delete from the device manager. Then re-boot the PC, and go back into device manager. Click the "scan for hardware changes" button and it will hopefully find and reconnect the FM9.

I assume the FM9 will still boot up on it's own when it's not plugged into the computer, right? If not, you naturally have a different kind of problem.

Capture.PNG

NEED HELP ASAP. I loaded the beta now all buttons locked up. I then had to reinitialize per page 105 manual to get any buttons to work. NOW I reloaded fw 5.01 but none of my footswitches work they all just have 3 dashes --- in the lcd . Please advise how to correct this.

NEED HELP ASAP. I loaded the beta now all buttons locked up. I then had to reinitialize per page 105 manual to get any buttons to work. NOW I reloaded fw 5.01 but none of my footswitches work they all just have 3 dashes --- in the lcd . Please advise how to correct this.
Restore your layouts from a backup...

Or if they are not modified from factory, re-initialize them.

Restore your layouts from a backup...

Or if they are not modified from factory, re-initialize them.
already loaded from fractal all existing 5.01 fw, current fact bot and current FM9 edit and current factory presets. Still footstitches read "---" and are not functional

already loaded from fractal all existing 5.01 fw, current fact bot and current FM9 edit and current factory presets. Still footstitches read "---" and are not functional
That doesn't affect system settings such as Layouts.

Restore your system settings backup or re-initialize the layouts. Those are your options.

If you created a backup, there will be a layout file you’ll need to import. You can also just go to your settings menu on the unit and select the omg9 or standard/default layouts.

EDIT: There will not be a backup for your layouts. You would have had to export a layout separate from the backup.

Last edited:
If you created a backup, there will be a layout file you’ll need to import. You can also just go to your settings menu on the unit and select the omg9 or standard/default layouts.
No... Only if you exported layouts that will be the case.

The backup stores layouts as part of system settings, so the system settings would need to be restored

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom