FM9 Firmware Version 6.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see advantages to Fractal's approach. Other modelers just take a different tack. They build in a hard, potentially lower limit on the processing and reserve sufficient buffer, unavailable to the user, to ensure stable operation. On those modelers, as long as a block is not greyed out, you can use it in a preset. The device remains stable because you simply aren't allowed to reach a degree of CPU usage that would compromise operations.

I like that there is more flexibility on CPU usage, even if the downside is a possible glitch during a performance if you are playing fast and loose with the recommended CPU limits. Would be great if it could anticipate when CPU usage would be exceeded and there was a method to automatically and as elegantly as possible disable a block or downgrade a processes' priority (e.g. MIDI operation, LFO, etc..). Easier said than done. How would the firmware weight decisions and best make the one with the lowest percentage chance of severely impacting a preset's tone. Should it disable a block, MIDI, something else? You need a pretty sophisticated decision tree to determine which action the firmware should take when "sacrificing" something in the preset to preserve smooth operation.

I can see advantages to Fractal's approach. Other modelers just take a different tack. They build in a hard, potentially lower limit on the processing and reserve sufficient buffer, unavailable to the user, to ensure stable operation. On those modelers, as long as a block is not greyed out, you can use it in a preset. The device remains stable because you simply aren't allowed to reach a degree of CPU usage that would compromise operations.

I like that there is more flexibility on CPU usage, even if the downside is a possible glitch during a performance if you are playing fast and loose with the recommended CPU limits. Would be great if it could anticipate when CPU usage would be exceeded and there was a method to automatically and as elegantly as possible disable a block or downgrade a processes' priority (e.g. MIDI operation, LFO, etc..). Easier said than done. How would the firmware weight decisions and best make the one with the lowest percentage chance of severely impacting a preset's tone. Should it disable a block, MIDI, something else? You need a pretty sophisticated decision tree to determine which action the firmware should take when "sacrificing" something in the preset to preserve smooth operation.
Being reasonable is the best option, I had an FM3 before moving to the FM9T! By obligation I learned to limit myself....but not always! I think this is the best option.
Leave the computing power to the sound, for the rest let humans decide and sometimes make mistakes.
My patches generally use between 55 and 70% of the computing power, with all the options activated such as the output EQ, this guarantees me that the FM9T will not lag at the wrong time...... With the FM3 ( no Turbo) I often flirted with the 78% charge while being reasonable.

The release notes explicitly state many changes to the Amp modeling (including greater changes to the listed Amp Models). Including to the tube modeling (I’m guessing that is a part of the culprit). Some changes are within your control and some aren’t. When you take a new firmware you may be getting modeling updates that will apply across the board. Not just if you change your preset. Some of the changes are applied when a preset is loaded.

If you enable “Prompt on Edited Preset Change” I believe the Editied light will illuminate when you load a preset that has modeling changes automatically applied. This would give you the opportunity to visualize a change has occurred and try to adjust.

Two values that have changed that aren’t automatically applied are Speaker Drive and Speaker Thump in the Amp Block Speaker Tab. The new default values are 1.0 and 1.25 respectively. You could try adjusting these and see if they help compensate for the other modeling changes. Beyond that you’ll just need to adjust your presets accordingly or stay on 5.01.
Very well, thank you very much for taking the time to reply and help me sort out my problem... I'll try to see what's been changed...

can you tell me how to enable "Prompt on Edited Preset Change"?

For the moment, I've upgraded to version 5.01 and everything is back to normal.

nice day to you all

Would be great if it could anticipate when CPU usage would be exceeded and there was a method to automatically and as elegantly as possible disable a block or downgrade a processes' priority (e.g. MIDI operation, LFO, etc..).
See https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=CPU_usage.

Modeling can use up to 80%. The remaining 20% is dedicated to system tasks necessary for the UI and handling switching and internal processes. We know this because it’s in the manual.

Beyond that, when CPU usage becomes critical the firmware does begin turning off the most costly blocks until it reaches a point when it turns off signal processing and waits for the user to fix the problem.

. Almost always the hot spots for slowdowns were memory and disk.
[in MJ voice]
I remember the time
When we used "RAM drives" to offload something to memory because HDDs were soooooo slooooooow, no matter RAID value
It was actually quite nice if servers were on good backup power!

Welp.
I updated the Edit first, then updated the unit.
All working great till I got to a preset that peaked over the cpu limit once added gapless, fm9 froze.
I turn off fm9, turn it on again - say the unit is disconnected.
Restarted the FM9 and edit, still says it's disconnected.
Reinstalled the Edit and restarted the FM9, still disconnected!
I've unplugged the usb cable, tried different USB port, no bueno.
At this stage I'm stuck with a new firmware (which sounds great, but NO Edit or possibility to roll back, since the edit won't work.
My computer won't recognise that FM9 is even connected at this stage.
Oddly enough, I can still use the FM9 as an interface and record/listen to my pc through it, but the edit is totally lost.
Any help, please?

EDIT: RESOLVED
Change in preferences in the Edit, selecting the right channel on input fixed it up!

Last edited:
Any chance you can try a different computer?
Unfortunately not. It's quite bizzare, I have all the functionality of the interface with it, but can't use the Edit (and I do need to adjust a few settings for my presets with the band, so not great haha).
Beta life!

Welp.
I updated the Edit first, then updated the unit.
All working great till I got to a preset that peaked over the cpu limit once added gapless, fm9 froze.
I turn off fm9, turn it on again - say the unit is disconnected.
Restarted the FM9 and edit, still says it's disconnected.
Reinstalled the Edit and restarted the FM9, still disconnected!
I've unplugged the usb cable, tried different USB port, no bueno.
At this stage I'm stuck with a new firmware (which sounds great, but NO Edit or possibility to roll back, since the edit won't work.
My computer won't recognise that FM9 is even connected at this stage.
Oddly enough, I can still use the FM9 as an interface and record/listen to my pc through it, but the edit is totally lost.
Any help, please?
See https://support.fractalaudio.com/en-US/articles, particularly https://support.fractalaudio.com/en-US/recovery-routines-286533

If that doesn’t work then contact support@fractalaudio.com.

Last edited:
Since the new firmware update, the gain of the Two Stone J-35 is quite high and the amp breaks up very early. As I haven’t played the original amp in person, I can’t tell whether this behavior is intended or a potential bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom