Easiest way to send bpm to drummer from axe fx

Keith White

Experienced
I want to be able to send our drummer a visual or audio click generated on my axe 3. I have a separate preset for every song we play and I have the proper tap tempo set for each song so I can see the tempo light. How can I send that to the drummer. I am going to buy a midi metronome of some kind but I know nothing about midi. So how do I send him what I see on my fc controller, the tap tempo blinking light

It has to be done this way

this'll work if you have a different preset for each song and tempo to use is set to "preset", otherwise you'll have to dial the tempo in from the front panel for songs that use the same preset. the axe doesn't send midi clock, so as others have said, you can use another device to generate clock

I want to be able to send our drummer a visual or audio click generated on my axe 3. I have a separate preset for every song we play and I have the proper tap tempo set for each song so I can see the tempo light. How can I send that to the drummer. I am going to buy a midi metronome of some kind but I know nothing about midi. So how do I send him what I see on my fc controller, the tap tempo blinking light

It has to be done this way

Can your drummer just play to a click in the setlist? As a drummer myself, if I'm on a click for the gig, I usually have the BPM written on the setlist and use an iPad with a metronome app (Tempo app). The guitarist can then set up his presets to those same tempos that are agreed upon ahead of time.

Can your drummer just play to a click in the setlist? As a drummer myself, if I'm on a click for the gig, I usually have the BPM written on the setlist and use an iPad with a metronome app (Tempo app). The guitarist can then set up his presets to those same tempos that are agreed upon ahead of time.
It's complicated :) drummer has never played to a click and now that he is in charge of the click it is taking forever between songs. I need to take charge of the situation. Plus, he is stubborn

do you guys really think our spicies can keep time with a visual click?! (as a band) Try it and see how many bars it takes before it falls a part.
I think you’re right. We keep time with each other by listening to each other, not by each other’s hands. Musicians use their eyes for lots of things related to their instruments. To keep time with a flashing LED, you’d need to watch it full time.

It's complicated :) drummer has never played to a click and now that he is in charge of the click it is taking forever between songs. I need to take charge of the situation. Plus, he is stubborn

Well. If he's never played to a click, unless he has godlike tempo, a visual representation of a click won't keep him in time unless you're okay with him "drifting" if he's not staring at a flashing light. Even then, I think we're losing the plot at this point.

As others have said, sending the metronome from the AxeFX from another output can work if you need to start a click for the drummer before the next song.

Looks like the guitarist is the one solving all the tech stuff for the band. And then the others complain we take so long to set all things up…

I’ve never knew a great singer that was doing the tech stuff. The best I could find is the singer that brings his own effects, but still needs help to set it up properly 😂

Maybe I’m too nerd and simply attract this tech stuff but I see it happening with you guys too.

There's an app that sends haptic pulses to your Apple Watch based on a metronome set on iPad. (For the Apple-centric musos!)

also don't forget that you can send the axe fx metronome to output 2 and the spdif, so you could send it as audio to a little headphone amp and he can wear cans or in-ears

Does anyone know if it’s possible to send the click to just one side of output 2? I’m already using outs 1/2 for IEM and out 2 for FOH, just mono.

Back
Top Bottom