Easiest way to send bpm to drummer from axe fx

Suggest the Tempo app which has a playlist feature. Use a small personal mixer to mix in the click sound from the phone with the monitor feed from FOH. If he's not willing to do that then I agree with others. New band or new drummer. You can help someone who wants to improve but you can't make them care if they don't.

Guitarist in charge of all the tech here.

It’s exhausting and frustrating asking anyone else to do much of anything. Heaven forbid people learn their own gear.

I have the click on a track. Thats all I play to.
I'm the techie in the band. I don't mind doing it because I know it's done right

I wish someone would make new version of the Russian Dragon that works off midi tempo and a mic input. Many people would be less annoyed and deaf from having a visual only indication of the drummer’s real time hits in relation to the tempo. Instead of fighting to balance a click in their monitors or IEMs…

it can be a confidence / adrenalin thing and you might find he settles down a bit. i've played with a couple of drummers who did everything crazy fast the first few times i played with them, but after a while they relaxed, got more familiar with the material and sorted themselves out. they don't realise they're playing too fast, so it can be good to have a little visual cue you can give him for "slow down a bit".

Reactions: Rex
I have never had to personally deal with such a situation, but if I did, this is the approach I would take. I would record the next gig and find the most egregious examples of "off time" by the drummer. I would document how far off they are and send it to all band members with a diplomatic note that would read something to the effect of "I am not sure how to fix this, but I am not able to play song XXX at 183bpm or song YYY at 190bpm. I am open to suggestions and am happy to set up click tracks for any members who desire such stability.". One of the best ways to get people on board with an idea is to get them to believe it was their idea, and by stating you "don't know how to fix it" and "I am open to suggestions" helps put you in such a position. Hope you can get it all worked out!

My vote is skip the aggravations and find another drummer. A drummer that can't/won't practice to a cover bands CD version not the live version off YouTube is bullshit. They will make up every excuse under the sun not to do it.

Assuming some tunes might have tempo and/or meter changes, setting up Ableton LIVE or something similar to deliver the click (and whatever else, FX automation, lyrics, backing tracks, DMX, video etc), to the band works real well.

Agree with the above, you'll need an audio click (or maybe the Cattle Prod idea LOL?), a light will not do it, and you'll likely need a better drummer if he can't lock to the click with a little practice?

Back
Top Bottom