Friedman Master Volume

I ve never owned a friedman but for me playing with fractal the feeling was not good too.. I cant explain but i couldn not play fast legato like a Marshall.. I switched to the Marshall jvm410hjs and i liked so much that i bought two heads.
How did they compare with the Fractal?

I ve never owned a friedman but for me playing with fractal the feeling was not good too.. I cant explain but i couldn not play fast legato like a Marshall.. I switched to the Marshall jvm410hjs and i liked so much that i bought two heads.
It’s weird how that happens right? The mesa boogie amps are usually my curse when it comes to this ideal. It’s like my ears and fingers don’t react the same way I’m used to playing when I use Marshall type amps. It’s like Marshall’s satisfy the sound I need to hear to play what I normally play, but mesas don’t. Some Marshall’s don’t, but on average most do

It’s weird how that happens right? The mesa boogie amps are usually my curse when it comes to this ideal. It’s like my ears and fingers don’t react the same way I’m used to playing when I use Marshall type amps. It’s like Marshall’s satisfy the sound I need to hear to play what I normally play, but mesas don’t. Some Marshall’s don’t, but on average most do
Well i speak only about feeling.. Friedman be100 sound great for me but i noticed that if i play flying in a blue dream for example.. It s more difficult.. And i ve found that the only amps that suits that style for me are Marshall ( the majority), the diezel Herbert ch 2, and the cornford.. To explain what i m saying if you watch on youtube the Mark Day video where he plays through the friedman with his suhr and motor city pickups, at about 2.35 when he plays legato something happen..

Well i speak only about feeling.. Friedman be100 sound great for me but i noticed that if i play flying in a blue dream for example.. It s more difficult.. And i ve found that the only amps that suits that style for me are Marshall ( the majority), the diezel Herbert ch 2, and the cornford.. To explain what i m saying if you watch on youtube the Mark Day video where he plays through the friedman with his suhr and motor city pickups, at about 2.35 when he plays legato something happen..
Yes I speak about feeling as well. When I play through the Petrucci factory preset or the Mark day recto preset, I can tell they both sound amazing, but when I go to play lead stuff with them, it just doesn’t react under my fingers the same way most Marshall or Marshall clones do

Yes I speak about feeling as well. When I play through the Petrucci factory preset or the Mark day recto preset, I can tell they both sound amazing, but when I go to play lead stuff with them, it just doesn’t react under my fingers the same way most Marshall or Marshall clones.
Maybe it depends on the style.. For me it seems mesa style is more suitable for alternate picking than legato for example

To explain what i m saying if you watch on youtube the Mark Day video where he plays through the friedman with his suhr and motor city pickups, at about 2.35 when he plays legato something happen..
I'm no expert, but that sounds to me like the noise gate settings might be a little too aggressive for that light of an attack when doing legato runs and it's choking the notes a bit.

But i ve the same sensation playing with fractal..
With the gate completely off?

Getting that super hairy high gain sound with them produces a lot of excess noise in my experience. Finding the right gate settings to keep things manageable without clipping off subtle dynamics with certain techniques is a bit of a balancing act.

With the gate completely off?

Getting that super hairy high gain sound with them produces a lot of excess noise in my experience. Finding the right gate settings to keep things manageable without clipping off subtle dynamics with certain techniques is a bit of a balancing act.
Not completely off but i d say standard setting.. The same than the jvm that in any case seems not chocking the notes as you said, in fast legato runs..

Ok, so I think I figured out this out....Here is the preset recorded with no post processing. Doesn't sound hollow or thin to my ears...

Not at all! It sounds great! Like I said, I think it’s just the case that presets are really specific to the guitar they were created on, and the player they were created for. I like learning methods from others’ presets, but I only ever use my own for that reason. Even Leon Todd’s and Brett Kingman’s presets, which sound fantastic in their videos, translate poorly to my guitar. So, in other words, it’s not you, it’s me.

And then there are people who buy commercial preset packs and they work great for them. That’s just telling me their guitars gel with those of the preset authors.

Anyway, I loved the sound there in your clip, and I feel like it would sit perfectly in a mix. I don’t think it’s lacking anything. Thanks for sharing it!

Not at all! It sounds great! Like I said, I think it’s just the case that presets are really specific to the guitar they were created on, and the player they were created for. I like learning methods from others’ presets, but I only ever use my own for that reason. Even Leon Todd’s and Brett Kingman’s presets, which sound fantastic in their videos, translate poorly to my guitar. So, in other words, it’s not you, it’s me.

And then there are people who buy commercial preset packs and they work great for them. That’s just telling me their guitars gel with those of the preset authors.

Anyway, I loved the sound there in your clip, and I feel like it would sit perfectly in a mix. I don’t think it’s lacking anything. Thanks for sharing it!
I agree 100%! I notice that when I switch between my own guitars. I have to create separate presets for each guitar. I also think one of the biggest challenges of modeling is consistency in the playback method. It’s hard to tell what sounds good when you are listening in an untreated room with resonances that you don’t know to account for. Some of the factory presets sound terrible on my QSC (very muddy, etc..), but I know that is just a byproduct of my listening environment. That makes me doubt my created presets, because I’m not sure what to reference. Might sound killer in my room after I account for how I’m hearing it and then you get on stage and it doesn’t translate. Very frustrating!

Great points. My main reason for buying preset packs is because I know theyre made at gig level volumes and all the scenes/presets are leveled volume wise. Then I can use those as a template, but stay in the ballpark. I have no way of playing at gig volume levels lol

Great points. My main reason for buying preset packs is because I know theyre made at gig level volumes and all the scenes/presets are leveled volume wise. Then I can use those as a template, but stay in the ballpark. I have no way of playing at gig volume levels lol

And I think I’m in the minority with presets not working well for me; totally take what I say with a grain of salt. Could be I have a weird pick attack, all sorts of stuff. There have been a small few presets that have been cool on my guitar, so it’s just a weird thing, and I’ll bet if I bought a great guitar actually made well and didn’t mod the shit out of it, as I am prone to do, someone’s presets would work for me haha.

You have a good point there about setting tones for gig volume too. Fletcher Munson rears his head and keeps you from EQing like you have OCD. :)

@State of Epicicity I just had my first chance for about 15 minutes to experiment with this.
I'm doing a quick test as a baseline.
Amp BE C45
Cab Factory 2 #723
SIC 4X12 Recto Slant - Is this the one you are using??
Amp Block: Input EQ cut at 110hz
Cab Block: Low cut 90hz Hi cut 5000

Everything else at default. Yes I notice right away with the MV going higher the bass or low end starts to go away.
I was then turning down the gain to about 2 and MV on 7.2. Then rolling back the guitar volume knob. That is where things started to get sweet!
It's amazing if you play soft how clean it can be.

Time for dinner!!

Back
Top Bottom