Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.06 Public Beta

If some makes a request and you have to shuffle off of your set list and it's got 150 songs, how long would that take? Reminds me of a lead vocalist using a teleprompter and doesn't do request , even songs he plays, as he cant shuffle his teleprompter easily enough. Maybe it's a house gig.
I have got around this by adding a switch which takes me back to my default layout. Then, I select the song that's been requested (as usual). Afterwards, I flip back to the 'Setlist' layout, and rather neatly, it goes back to the position in the setlist I was previously at, so i just select the next song, and off we go again through the set... pretty good!

Setlists/Songs is BRILLIANT. I didn't think it applied to me at first - I'm used to using presets and scenes, but now that I've fooled around with it, I figured out that it does apply to me and it's a blast to create and use.

One minor point that I'm guessing was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but I don't recall seeing: If I select a section, then use Axe Edit to change the preset or scene, the FC still shows the section selected. It's thrown me off a few times - I see it lit and think it's on that section, but I need to reselect for it to engage. It would help if it went dim.

All this set list stuff and wanting more. ??

I’ve been gigging for 38 years, been in up to 4 bands at once, covered all kinds of styles, know how to remember and play 150 + songs at a giving time, never played more than 3 sets a night (and that was years ago) and NEVER have I used more than 10 sounds to cover any gig I’ve ever played (minus the rare ‘special sound’ for that one song)
Way to much programming for every song I play. Just seems like one hell of a balancing act that will go heavily unnoticed. And I have a high attention to song detail (correct parts) I keep it simple... but effective.

Things sure have changed. Guess I’m old.. and old fashioned.

Here are some sample layouts you can use to "Quickstart" the Setlists/Songs feature. Of course, you will first need to enter some songs and add at least one section to each of them.

Factory Default Layouts 7 and 8 work as a pair to provide access to Banks, Presets, Scenes, and Effects. The attached layouts are replacements for Factory Layout 7 in both FC-6 and FC-12 versions. Instead of Presets and Scenes, they provide access Songs and Sections. The FC-12 layout is even large enough to also allow you to cycle through different Setlists, though this is so easy to do from the front panel, and so unlikely to happen during a performance, that I've left this capability out of the FC-6 example in favor a more instant response from a tap switch with no hold function.

Importing a layout is easy with Axe-Edit:

1. Open FC Edit
2. Click the number for the layout you wish to replace (#7 in this case)
3. In the Layouts editor, click the "Edit" dropdown menu and select "Import Layout". Browse to the desired file and the process will complete automatically.

Here are some design notes on the two attached versions for FC-12 and FC-6.
View attachment 99315

View attachment 99316

Of course you can also forgo these examples and use the new Setlist, Song, and Section FC functions to create custom layouts of your own.
Unbelievable! 🙃

P.S. - Cliff/M@ 2024 gets my vote! ;-)

Great work Fractal, thank you for your time effort and brain power you constantly give to us users. Out of all the bands I've ever been in one thing has always been constant singers want to jump around a setlist, read the room play on the energy level blah blah blah. I have always been a one preset per song for as long as there has been hardware that supports that kinda thing. Fractal hardware has made that a god send breeze. Usual gig scenario: singer finally produces a set list several hours before any and every show, start show three songs in the singer starts hoping around the list. Now for someone like myself that has say 50 songs for the band, third song was on preset 3 now the singer wants to play a song that's on preset 50 "Hold on while I tap dance from preset 3 to 50" oh and while I'm at it change guitars cause that's a different tuning.

Somewhere around 2009 with the iPhone and app store came Arlo Leach's app SetListMaker. It allows you to add songs to a list and assign a midi program change message for each song. Wired or bluetooth you could now tap a song on a list and have it change to the preset you need. This was great but not wanting to stop there Arlo made BandHelper basically the same app but now with more features to accommodate what a band needs, sections for managing money, stage plots and many more options. This made it easy to say get a new member up to speed with the list and all the songs on it, no more burning CD's or hunting around the net because all the audio files are in the app. One IOS or Android device can be master on stage and switch every other users device to the next song. Let me just say like anything of this nature it's a real beast to get set up and everyones device set properly but well worth the effort. There is a subscription price starting at $50 a year for 5 users and you can add more users or other groups of users for more bands you're in. I am in now way affiliated with Arlo or the apps but I sure will talk them up at any given chance.

Ive invested so much time in doing things this way I can't see changing and doing anything with the new Setlist feature in AXE FX III but I do appreciate all the time and effort Fractal has put in to making us customers happy. Thank you Fractal!

I am also on the SetlistMaker (BandHelper soon) wagon, and I don't see myself changing that workflow. We usually sick to our setlist, but when there are changing SLM even makes it easy to pull up something that wasn't in the set in the first place.

I must say, if these new features had been available when I began my journey in the fractal universe, I might never have started on the SLM journey.

I also prefer just using scenes within a song, so I don't have much use for the sections. I would prefer to have six times as many songs that just point to the default scene. I understand other people's wishes and needs are different. It would be great, if we could choose not to use sections and get more songs.

If I were to use the new features in my workflow, the tempo should be stored with the song, and it would be even greater, if I could store a level offset for each section within reach song.

Thank you for the setlist functionality! On top of the obvious use case, I will use it to build guitar or style specific "songs". E.g. dedicate setlist 1 for being "guitar and/or style", then songs would be e.g. Les Paul Classic Rock, 80's hard rock, Tele Rolling Stones, Pensa Dire Straits, and then with sections I can build a nice stack of sounds. This will save a ton of time from merging presents or moving them from place to place!

Thanks fractal for the updates.

As a home player I’m loving setlist as a way to manage all the presets. Can have my favourite presets all together and also have all my fav clean, eob and crunch sounds together…., the sections bit is great for this, awesome.

i also played through some of the stock presets for the first time in a while and there were some amazing sounds there. When I last checked them out a month or so ago I thought they were great, but was totally blown away by them last night. First time I’d really listened to them after the preset update too…..

Bassman ‘59, second of the Deluxe Verbs, Plexi 50 & 100W and Brit 800 really stood out from the first 15 1 tried. Can’t wait to see what the next 15 have in store for me tonight 😊.

Amazing updates, company, product and community, we’re truly blessed and privileged to have such great gear……now just waiting for the talent improving update to be able to exploit more of what the FxIII can offer 🤣

Sounds like hosting karaoke. Seems live music has transcended into iPads and songbooks on a so called stage vs a tight band with a performance mindset. Cheers

I was just answering a weird question. I wrote about how I admire musicians that remember a hundred songs and you asked what would happen when somebody in the audience makes a request and I have to shuffle my setlist. Perhaps I misunderstood the (rethorical?) question, but sorry English is not my native language.

Anyway, I personally hate when there are iPads or music stands on stage. Looks very unprofessional, unless you are one of those horn players sight reading :)

I was just answering a weird question. I wrote about how I admire musicians that remember a hundred songs and you asked what would happen when somebody in the audience makes a request and I have to shuffle my setlist. Perhaps I misunderstood the (rethorical?) question, but sorry English is not my native language.

Anyway, I personally hate when there are iPads or music stands on stage. Looks very unprofessional, unless you are one of those horn players sight reading :)

When I was in a band like this (with a pretty firm setlist) and some lady comes up and dropped a $20 in the tip jar and said play me "Brown Sugar" or something I would be sure to always have a quick kitchen sink go-to preset to handle just about anything. With 8 Scenes its pretty easy to have a preset ready for clean blues, jazzy-funk, raunchy rock, or 80s shred.

:)

When I was gigging 3 or 4 times a month, back in my Axe-Fx gen I then Axe-Fx II days, my cover band had around 5 or 6 hours of material, and not once did we use a setlist on stage. We always decided on which next song to play by communicating discretely, either near the end of the current song, of just after. We mostly chose the next song according to the ambience in the audience. Many times one of us would just start the song he wants to play and the others would follow. I had maybe 20 presets, including a few song-specific, in two banks of 10. That was a great period, before the cops started coming too much for the pub to hire rock bands

Was it the noise or something else?
Thanks
Pauly

When I was gigging 3 or 4 times a month, back in my Axe-Fx gen I then Axe-Fx II days, my cover band had around 5 or 6 hours of material, and not once did we use a setlist on stage. We always decided on which next song to play by communicating discretely, either near the end of the current song, of just after. We mostly chose the next song according to the ambience in the audience. Many times one of us would just start the song he wants to play and the others would follow. I had maybe 20 presets, including a few song-specific, in two banks of 10. That was a great period, before the cops started coming too much for the pub to hire rock bands

Sounds like hosting karaoke. Seems live music has transcended into iPads and songbooks on a so called stage vs a tight band with a performance mindset. Chee

Can you export and import song lists? So you could work with several song lists. That would make a lot of sense.
Would this only make sense if the presets came with them bundled? I'm thinking if you change some presets around things won't line up when reimporting older set lists. Maybe the metadata in the parts sections could refer to names instead of preset numbers so when reimporting it will line everything up starting from the preset number you specify. Just thinking outside the box here.

When I was in a band like this (with a pretty firm setlist) and some lady comes up and dropped a $20 in the tip jar and said play me "Brown Sugar" or something I would be sure to always have a quick kitchen sink go-to preset to handle just about anything. With 8 Scenes its pretty easy to have a preset ready for clean blues, jazzy-funk, raunchy rock, or 80s shred.

:)

You could have a separate "hard-coded" preset footswitch, but there's another idea. A cool feature of Song footswitch is that in addition to "Inc/Dec" you can also set a switch to select a specific song by its number. So if you place your kitchen sink preset at position 1, you might use a switch (or a Press & Hold if you're out of switches) to jump directly to it.

The various "2nd Tap = Previous" stuff was added after the Setlist/Song feature was designed, but perhaps a future update can enable this capability for a Song Select switch so you can get back to where you were in the list afterwards without needing to scroll.

If I select a section, then use Axe Edit to change the preset or scene, the FC still shows the section selected.
This is the expected behavior. The FC cannot do a reverse lookup because the same preset/scene combinationcan be used by more than one section or song, so it has no way of knowing what you intended when you operate the editor or the front panel.

I will add the above note to the mini-manual.

Back
Top Bottom