Banned from TGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's always been something wrong with tgp forum. Certain people always control the narrative and derailing of threads, and the mods allow it to go on. Obvious shills in the crowd and apparently the mods condone it.

@FractalAudio

I damn near died when I saw this jem come through,

View attachment 98409
My personal experience with the Dunning-Kruger Effect

"Plateau of Sustainability" --
Is never quite as high a level of confidence
as being on top of Idiot Mountain.
Knowing what I don't know -- or at least suspecting it
puts a healthy dent in my raging confidence.

"You are Here" --
is best used as in an inner dialogue.
Convincing someone else that they are on top of Idiot Mountain,
is not easy, is not likely. And, it is usually not appreciated.

It is hard enough for me to convince myself.

If my currently aged self,
still smoking from time travel,
had gone back in time to talk to my younger self
about some of the mistakes I made,
I doubt that much would change.
I probably would have just been snarky to myself.

"The Valley of Despair" and "The Slope of Enlightenment" --
It is hard to become wiser without realizing that I had been a fool.
The sooner I can know about being a fool,
the sooner I can begin to be wiser.

My chance to learn early has gone already.
I only hope I can live long enough
to find out how foolish I am right now.

So, am I still on top of Idiot Mountain?
Probably. It doesn't feel like it.
But, yeah, probably.

YMMV

While I agree with this statement in general, not all forums suffer from this problem. I helped start a woodworking forum about 16 years ago after about a dozen of us left a popular forum that had a reputation for uneven and arbitrary moderating. We intentionally set our forum up with several checks and balances in an attempt to moderate the moderators. We have a very clear Code of Conduct that says what is and isn't allowed, and we adhere to it. (No politics, religion, or cursing.) All of our mods are elected by the forum members every 6 months, and we have term limits on how long someone can be a mod before they're required to step down (for at least 6 months.) If a user posts something that is against our rules, they are first given an opportunity to edit or remove the post. A majority of the mods must agree an infraction has happened before a post is deleted or a member is banned. (That helps us avoid favoritism and any "good ol' boys" type of moderating.) We intentionally have an odd number of mods, so there can never be a tie vote in the decision-making process. If someone disagrees with a decision they are allowed to appeal that decision, and it will be revisited by the mods. Also, we have no "owner". The forum is funded by donations from the members themselves...we do not have any ads, and commercial posts are not allowed unless they are approved by the mods first. Three of us have Admin privs and we are there only to keep the software and server running and up to date. We don't have a vote when it comes to moderating the members.

Most of the active members on our forum have been there a long time, and the group is pretty good at moderating itself. These days it's very rare that we have to actually remove a post or ban a member.

I'm a woodworker. Used to be on a forum, but it's been so long I can't recall which one. What's the name of yours?

I'm a woodworker. Used to be on a forum, but it's been so long I can't recall which one. What's the name of yours?

I'm a very novice woodworker and was also curious about this. @TG3K

Seems most woodworking forums I've visited are more amicable than TGP.... More geared toward helping through issues than a social platform where people 'hang out' online like TGP can be for some people.

whaaat! no poop jokes? - hmmm, perhaps an avenue of protest: Fractalites go there and tell poop jokes! View attachment 98407

But seriously, quite strange to ban the voice of the leading modeller device on a guitar forum based on what smells of possible trumped up charges - kinda smacks of (maybe I read too much into it) being signal to Axefx users that they are not as welcome.
How did soft serve ice cream make it into this conversation? Some have told me that the emoji above is smiling sh!t, but I don't buy it!! I have yet to see a turd that looks so delicious or smiles!!! I am so behind on these modern communication techniques!

There is difference between anarchy and totalitarianism. And there is also a middle ground. And at TGP, some pigs are more equal than others. That is pretty clear. And there is no middle ground. You either conform to whatever it is they feel like enforcing, or you're out. The other issue is that once you're banned, you have no real way of communicating with the Moderators. You can "contact us" or e-mail Scott, but generally, that is futile.

Is Scott Peterson still on these forums? There was a time when he was an Axe Fx II user and taught classes on how to use it.
There's a Scott Peterson here who's listed as a Moderator/Vendor - not the same one I guess?

Isn't he co-founder of that place that generates millions of views a month and millions of $$ in revenue annually,
and also happens to be a long-time Fractal user?

It's a sizable money-maker..... and people getting sucked into petty arguments there just drives their ad revenue up.

Last edited:
My personal experience with the Dunning-Kruger Effect

"Plateau of Sustainability" --
Is never quite as high a level of confidence
as being on top of Idiot Mountain.
Knowing what I don't know -- or at least suspecting it
puts a healthy dent in my raging confidence.

"You are Here" --
is best used as in an inner dialogue.
Convincing someone else that they are on top of Idiot Mountain,
is not easy, is not likely. And, it is usually not appreciated.

It is hard enough for me to convince myself.

If my currently aged self,
still smoking from time travel,
had gone back in time to talk to my younger self
about some of the mistakes I made,
I doubt that much would change.
I probably would have just been snarky to myself.

"The Valley of Despair" and "The Slope of Enlightenment" --
It is hard to become wiser without realizing that I had been a fool.
The sooner I can know about being a fool,
the sooner I can begin to be wiser.

My chance to learn early has gone already.
I only hope I can live long enough
to find out how foolish I am right now.

So, am I still on top of Idiot Mountain?
Probably. It doesn't feel like it.
But, yeah, probably.

YMMV
I literally only read half of that.

It’s a simple graph, its funny. I laughed hard.

My hope is that you laugh too.

I don’t look too hard into things if I’m not being paid to do so; or if there isn’t a real life benefit to doing so.

I literally only read half of that.

It’s a simple graph, its funny. I laughed hard.

My hope is that you laugh too.

I don’t look too hard into things if I’m not being paid to do so; or if there isn’t a real life benefit to doing so.
very funny indeed, and indeed very correct imo - sometime that plateau of stupid can be a goldmine since the mindless confidence can lead one to great achievements that, had one actually known what was involved initially, might never have occurred given awareness of the task ahead. But sometimes, as in this case probably - it's just a plateau of stupid.

Isn't he co-founder of that place that generates millions of views a month and millions of $$ in revenue annually,
and also happens to be a long-time Fractal user?

It's a sizable money-maker..... and people getting sucked into petty arguments there just drives their ad revenue up.
Well if that's the case, then maybe Scott should be able to get FractalAudio "off the hook", y'know "for old time sake" if he's a long time Fractal member....like Sally in the Godfather

...Doh!

Last edited:
@atyourlasthourrr! It was funny! I literally laughed out loud!

I need to learn to "use my emoji's." ;)

At the same time, as my 60's have progressed

My ideas about what is wise and what is smart

have changed quite a bit. And, they continue to change very steadily.

I don't know how similar my life is to any one else.

Phrases like "arrested development" come to mind.

But, I do sincerely wish I had been thinking like this much earlier.

Still, I am very happy to be thinking like this now.

I'm not so sure that dying with self-awareness "Caddy-shack style"

is such a big deal. But, it is a big part of several good things in my life right now.

Nice find on the graph, by the way. :cool:

@FractalAudio The way I look at it is, if they banned you, then there's just that much more of you for us. We can learn and absorb, and be your proselytes, your moles. Isn't that the idea after all? Seriously?

People toss out "fanbois" occasionally, very wrongly, because the majority of us wandered through all the competition on the way to finally being persuaded to invest in Fractal Audio products, but once we're here, we're convinced it was the right decision. We're not fanbois, we're battle-hardened veterans and we're damned proud of it! For those others to label us as some sort of fan club is extremely insulting. We've worked hard, and are weary of the B.S. advertising and the riotous adoration of real fanbois of those lower echelons.

Just keep on keepin' on, make gear we're proud to own. I WANT to feel proud to hand my son-in-law my gear to help him up that next rung!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom