Banned from TGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading this thread, I don't think I will waste anytime over there either. This troll post got me fired up along with a ton of other's:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...nals-record-play-in-a-band-who-cares.2342861/

If everyone thought the way this ... thought, then nobody would be playing or creating music. I had my hands on a friends FM3 for two weeks before having to make a purchase of my own. Thankful I didn't read any internet drivel.
I like TGP. (sorry). That dude struck me that way on many of his posts as well.

Private entities are entitled to determine what speech to allow, and what speech not to allow. There is no such thing as "free speech" when dealing with private venues.

That is 100% totally and completely false.

It is true that TGP (and FAS) are not free speech respecting platforms. That does not, in any way, mean that there are no free speech respecting platforms or that privately owned forums/property cannot respect free speech.

You are inferring that my belief in absolute free speech implies a demand that my belief override others' property rights. I said exactly the opposite.

It also seems like you're basing your understanding of rights on a 250ish year old piece of paper. The bill of rights did not and does not grant any rights. It presupposes their existence and prohibits the US government from infringing upon them. There is a very fundamental difference there.

It (edit for clarity: the constitution as a whole) does grant certain rights (voting, etc.) to certain people based on individuals interacting with the things it created. But, it never even claimed to grant what it called natural rights. Thinking that it did implies a lack of understanding of the document itself and of its philosophical bases.

Hey y'all Fractal dudes.

I too was banned forever from TGP after a decade of contribution.... for a stupid general poop joke.
Yes, the moderators there are very swift with the hammer, all it takes is some cuckoo to use the Report button and whine how "offended" they are by your post, and you're gone.

Aah, mister Freeman! Surprising and good to see you here!

The upside to this is there's now one one less place for me to have to browse for Cliff's modeling tech insights. I could read that stuff all day.

...I hate this, but forums enable the moderators to basically do what they want. There's no over-seeing authority to complain to, and their terms/conditions enable them to function this way. Social media is the same...
While I agree with this statement in general, not all forums suffer from this problem. I helped start a woodworking forum about 16 years ago after about a dozen of us left a popular forum that had a reputation for uneven and arbitrary moderating. We intentionally set our forum up with several checks and balances in an attempt to moderate the moderators. We have a very clear Code of Conduct that says what is and isn't allowed, and we adhere to it. (No politics, religion, or cursing.) All of our mods are elected by the forum members every 6 months, and we have term limits on how long someone can be a mod before they're required to step down (for at least 6 months.) If a user posts something that is against our rules, they are first given an opportunity to edit or remove the post. A majority of the mods must agree an infraction has happened before a post is deleted or a member is banned. (That helps us avoid favoritism and any "good ol' boys" type of moderating.) We intentionally have an odd number of mods, so there can never be a tie vote in the decision-making process. If someone disagrees with a decision they are allowed to appeal that decision, and it will be revisited by the mods. Also, we have no "owner". The forum is funded by donations from the members themselves...we do not have any ads, and commercial posts are not allowed unless they are approved by the mods first. Three of us have Admin privs and we are there only to keep the software and server running and up to date. We don't have a vote when it comes to moderating the members.

Most of the active members on our forum have been there a long time, and the group is pretty good at moderating itself. These days it's very rare that we have to actually remove a post or ban a member.

That is 100% totally and completely false.

It is true that TGP (and FAS) are not free speech respecting platforms. That does not, in any way, mean that there are no free speech respecting platforms or that privately owned forums/property cannot respect free speech.

You are inferring that my belief in absolute free speech implies a demand that my belief override others' property rights. I said exactly the opposite.

It also seems like you're basing your understanding of rights on a 250ish year old piece of paper. The bill of rights did not and does not grant any rights. It presupposes their existence and prohibits the US government from infringing upon them. There is a very fundamental difference there.

It (edit for clarity: the constitution as a whole) does grant certain rights (voting, etc.) to certain people based on individuals interacting with the things it created. But, it never even claimed to grant what it called natural rights. Thinking that it did implies a lack of understanding of the document itself and of its philosophical bases.

The only thing that "Free Speech" IS in the USA is the government's inability to quell people from speaking out against them. THIS is what I'm referring to. And yes, it is based on our Bill of Rights and the Constitution of the United States of America. And yes, the Bill of Rights DOES grant us rights as American Citizens. Within the United States of America. I am fully aware of what all this means as someone who is was a legal immigrant and eventually a citizen of the USA. If you want to split hairs, have at it.

The only thing that "Free Speech" IS in the USA is the government's inability to quell people from speaking out against them. THIS is what I'm referring to. And yes, it is based on our Bill of Rights and the Constitution of the United States of America. And yes, the Bill of Rights DOES grant us rights as American Citizens. Within the United States of America. I am fully aware of what all this means as someone who is was a legal immigrant and eventually a citizen of the USA. If you want to split hairs, have at it.

It's not splitting hairs. It's a fundamental difference in understanding.

"Free Speech" is a concept.

The 1st amendment is a legal protection for certain applications of that concept in certain contexts.

They are not the same thing. They never were.

And, your teacher was wrong. The bill of rights does not grant rights. It prevents the government from infringing on certain rights.

A lot of people don't understand that. Personally...I blame our failing education system.

It's not splitting hairs. It's a fundamental difference in understanding.

"Free Speech" is a concept.

The 1st amendment is a legal protection for certain applications of that concept in certain contexts.

They are not the same thing. They never were.

And, your teacher was wrong. The bill of rights does not grant rights. It prevents the government from infringing on certain rights.

A lot of people don't understand that. Personally...I blame our failing education system.

Agree to disagree. We have different views on the matter. You won't convince me and I won't convince you. Which is not my purpose in what I write anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom