Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.00

I tried the test above but still hear no difference - in this clip (preset attached) the first one (chA) is EL84/6BQ5 and the second (chB) is EL84 JJ. I tried varying drive and Master Trim but still don't hear anything. If most can hear a difference then I must be waay more deaf than I thought.

I even tried hard panned L/R amp blocks differing only by tube type into stereo cab into the goniometer tool in logic and still don't see any difference compared to both amps with the same tube type.

Don't want to belabour this, and wont post on it again - I've just found it frustrating for some time that I can't hear any difference in these tube types (other than 300B) while other say it's obvious with some options sounding better to their ears - been trying to learn more about amp circuitry in the hopes of being able to actually use the adv amp parms in Axfx but it's lost effort I fear, if I can't hear the nuances with my worsening tinnitus.

Have you tried listening with a good set of headphones?

I'll admit I have a hard time hearing a difference in your samples, but to me it sounds like the first one has a very slightly softer top end.
thanks - glad to hear they sounded very similar to you - gives me some relief that my hearing's not totally gone lol! - I guess that level of nuance is a "clear difference" to a trained ear since Fractal indicates these 2 are quite audibly different - but if this is the level of nuance, I'm amazed at some user comments here that some of these tube types are so much more audibly satisfying than others.

There is something special about this firmware! There's a cohesive harmonic that just really makes chords ring! Not sure how to explain it. But the low end feels more open and responsive as well!

Fantastic!
I second this. Great way to describe what I was thinking.
This might be all in my head since I haven't A/B'd it, but it sounds more organically real and less processed now too. This might be my new favorite firmware. 👌

k - glad to hear they sounded very similar to you - gives me some relief that my hearing's not totally gone lol! - I guess that level of nuance is a "clear difference" to a trained ear since Fractal indicates these 2 are quite audibly different - and if this is the level of nuance, I'm amazed at some user comments here that some of these tube types are so much more satisfying than others.
Yeah, definitely a lot of subjectivity in what we're all hearing.

I second this. Great way to describe what I was thinking.
This might be all in my head since I haven't A/B'd it, but it sounds more organically real and less processed now too. This might be my new favorite firmware. 👌
This FW is my clear favorite. Two-amp combo's sound so much better than before... there's a cohesiveness between the two (to borrow that term) in how they sound together, where before it would sound like two amps in two different rooms.

Yeah, definitely a lot of subjectivity in what we're all hearing.
yes - there's also a lot of trained ears here and after a lot of years hacking around with this stuff even I can now hear nuances I could not years ago - but no where near the level of some.

I tried the test above but still hear no difference - in this clip (preset attached) the first one (chA) is EL84/6BQ5 and the second (chB) is EL84 JJ. I tried varying drive and Master Trim but still don't hear anything. If most can hear a difference then I must be waay more deaf than I thought.

I even tried hard panned L/R amp blocks differing only by tube type into stereo cab into the goniometer tool in logic and still don't see any difference compared to both amps with the same tube type.

Don't want to belabour this, and wont post on it again - I've just found it frustrating for some time that I can't hear any difference in these tube types (other than 300B) while other say it's obvious with some options sounding better to their ears - been trying to learn more about amp circuitry in the hopes of being able to actually use the adv amp parms in Axfx but it's lost effort I fear, if I can't hear the nuances others say is so striking with my worsening tinnitus.

Edit - the AC20 sounds amazing in 19.03 by the way.

It sounds like the JJ’s were the second clip.

Don't want to belabour this, and wont post on it again - I've just found it frustrating for some time that I can't hear any difference in these tube types (other than 300B) while other say it's obvious with some options sounding better to their ears - been trying to learn more about amp circuitry in the hopes of being able to actually use the adv amp parms in Axfx but it's lost effort I fear, if I can't hear the nuances others say is so striking with my worsening tinnitus.

without reading what you wrote, i heard the samples straight away.First one sounds warmer clearly compared to 2nd.

i dont really play non mv amps or clean/ overdriven stuff, but i seem to find the differences more obvious between tubes of the same type, when chugging with decent mv. like i would definitely prefer an el84 svet over el84 mull, as the chugs sound more defined/aggresive on the former.

Last edited:
it's more about the feel while playing than the final sound. There's something about the interplay between the pick, strings, and sound that gets lost when you record a guitar. Two tones can sound identical when recorded and have drastically different feels when played.
Spot on! Alot is lost in recording especially nuanced picking dynamics, the acoustic reinforcement when facing the monitors/ amps, when playing also seem to help you amplify/feel some of these tonal differences .Recording is over rated. The sound in a room to me is always superior than a perfectly mixed and mastered record.

no wonder some metal bands need kick drum to better emphasise on their fast chugs in a record, but when you play cranked up in a room, even without hearing the pick sound you can feel and hear the definition much much better. Its almost like you can hear that hot whip sound which is often difficult to capture in a recording.

Last edited:

Listening through my Smartphone Speakers the second one has a smoother top end.
But I will listening through it again with my headphones.

Back
Top Bottom