Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.00

I've noticed for my tastes, I like the headroom to hit around -8dB. Too close to 0dB and it starts to be flubby and not my thing.

And I would imagine the headroom and how hard you're hitting the final outputs, don't really relate to one another. You could crank the master and turn down the level.... and you're still smashing the amp... it's just the final output level gets turned down.

I've noticed for my tastes, I like the headroom to hit around -8dB. Too close to 0dB and it starts to be flubby and not my thing.

That is likely your clean power amp sweet spot. If I were to guess, you play metal with a lot of chuggy/gainy preamp driven tones that you don't want compressing too much.

And I would imagine the headroom and how hard you're hitting the final outputs, don't really relate to one another. You could crank the master and turn down the level.... and you're still smashing the amp... it's just the final output level gets turned down.

Yes, but if you are trying to get some power amp squish happening, you need to push the master up and fix the level at the end. The PA becomes another stage of dirty compression, basically. It'd be nice to be able to use the meter for "just how far past clipping is the PA?" sort of measurements if it were possible, like the old analog VU meters on a tape deck....

That is likely your clean power amp sweet spot. If I were to guess, you play metal with a lot of chuggy/gainy preamp driven tones that you don't want compressing too much.
Yep, basically that!

Yes, but if you are trying to get some power amp squish happening, you need to push the master up and fix the level at the end. The PA becomes another stage of dirty compression, basically. It'd be nice to be able to use the meter for "just how far past clipping is the PA?" sort of measurements if it were possible, like the old analog VU meters on a tape deck....

Ahhhhh, I see what you mean. That doesn't seem to be a totally bonkers request to me.

I've not encountered any additional noise. I don't run super high gain amps, but I have some hot plexi patches. Have not heard an increase. What I do hear is the difference in the power tubes, and I really like that we have these options at our fingertips now. I have always gravitated to NMV amps my entire life and no different in the Fractal. I'm assuming that's why I hear the differences. Either way, I am digging it.

Ahhhhh, I see what you mean. That doesn't seem to be a totally bonkers request to me.

It comes down to whether the extra code required to compare the power amp input signal to the power amp output signal is a burden on processing things, and if the boss deems it a worthy cause....

<snip>
The key to a high-gain amp is getting the right blend of preamp and power amp distortion. Start with the MV low and dial in your tone. Then raise the MV until the headroom meter just starts to hit 0 dB. This is beginning of the "sweet spot". Experiment with higher/lower MV until you get the right blend of distortion and compression. Back off the preamp gain as necessary. <snip>
This is pretty much key to all of it. In not so long ago times I was using a load box with many of my amps to get that mix of preamp distortion and power amp distortion without making my ears bleed. My curiosity back in the day led me to checking my favourite amp settings with a signal generator as input, and oscilloscope as output measurement. The sweet spot seemed to be some "gently" assymetric preamp distortion, followed by some less gentle but completely symmetrical power amp clipping. In many circumstances I would then overdrive the preamp with a pedal (and often a load more assymetry and intended crossover distortion at the preamp) to what I felt was really good effect. Works much better in the Axe FX, because the Marshall Power Brake I used back then was far from neutral in tone, especially when turned down more than 3 or 4 clicks from full volume.
Vintage amps got almost all their distortion from the power amp. Over the years designers added gain to the preamp. Modern amps get most of their distortion from the preamp but without a little power amp distortion things can sound flat and compressed. Preamp distortion isn't lively like power amp distortion.
This!

Liam

EASY!

1. Insert a Megatap Delay block.
2. Edit the block, setting Number of Taps to about "24".
3. Set Time Shape to "EXP/LOG"
4. Change the the "Graph" page.
5. Adjust TIME ALPHA (knob B) and watch the graph. As you turn it down, the delay taps concentrate towards the beginning. As you turn it up, the delay taps concentrate towards the end.
6. Repeat this for each of the other TIME SHAPE values. Explore how they work with fewer or more taps.

Have fun!

Well gang I think this is as close to glitchy as we're gonna get for a minute and by jove it's a fun time.

(@2112 If you do a video entirely on the megatap glitch options now present I will be a happy camper)

And the time I wrote my thing, cliff said the same just before 😊. (About the amount of gain)
When I change the tubes in the axe in my metal presets , I can’t tell a difference except 3/4 that are “particular” . But between the el34 model family or 6l6, outch .

@Dave Merrill lets say … guitar ground buzzes like I had in all the amps in my life with whatever guitars if I don’t have a gate .( because of the amount of gain used)
That sounds like more gain or compression, doesn't it?

Remember the tube testers that you could find in many stores back in the day? Those things must’ve had at least 30 different types of configuration, probably more.
I have a couple tube testers my dad had before he passed. They seem to work on the box of tubes he had as well.

If you want to hear the difference the tube types make choose a Class-A amp like the AC20 12AX7. Adjust to edge-of-breakup. Copy that channel to an adjacent channel. Now in the first channel set the power tube type to EL84/6BQ5. In the second channel set it to EL84 JJ. Switch back and forth between the channels and you should clearly hear the difference.
I tried the test above but still hear no difference - in this clip (preset attached) the first one (chA) is EL84/6BQ5 and the second (chB) is EL84 JJ. I tried varying drive and Master Trim but still don't hear anything. If most can hear a difference then I must be waay more deaf than I thought.

I even tried hard panned L/R amp blocks differing only by tube type into stereo cab into the goniometer tool in logic and still don't see any difference compared to both amps with the same tube type.

Don't want to belabour this, and wont post on it again - I've just found it frustrating for some time that I can't hear any difference in these tube types (other than 300B) while other say it's obvious with some options sounding better to their ears - been trying to learn more about amp circuitry in the hopes of being able to actually use the adv amp parms in Axfx but it's lost effort I fear, if I can't hear the nuances others say is so striking with my worsening tinnitus.

Edit - the AC20 sounds amazing in 19.03 by the way.

Edit - redid tests with varying hardness levels - same result - tonally I can't hear a difference. I did detect (via metering) a change in volume difference though: with hardness at 0, I got 0.4db difference between them, with hardness at 10, the two were equal. Others notice subtle differences in my samples which I can't hear probably due to hearing issues, however, I still think the "significant difference" statements are off. This was my experience with tube changing (pre or power) in real amps - little material impact imo.

Attachments

• TUBE-CHANGES.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom