Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 18.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
And they said … “Christmas came early that year. Ho ho ho!”

Thanks, Cliff and all Fractalians, for your ceaseless gifts.

Note to self: Set alarm on Thanksgiving for 3PM: Take a break from playing, Count the blessings. Have some turkey and the fixings.

The Pedal, Optical, Tube, Analog, JFET and Dynamicomp types have been completely redone resulting in improved performance. These types now inherently perform automatic makeup gain.
Seems like I need about 2 dB less output level on the comp block when using the JFET model now. With auto attack/release on this models sounds spectacularly nice in front of a cleanish amp. Very easy to make subtle notes sit right with it on, without it being over-bearing.

Digging into Dynacomp model now. :)

So, digging in to my global compressor block issues.

Since the compressor block was changed recently (and again now), I have to update the settings to my liking in one preset, and save it. Then I have to open all presets and resave them (or use FracTool), so the compressor block will update everywhere.?

Is this the way?

So, digging in to my global compressor block issues.

Since the compressor block was changed recently (and again now), I have to update the settings to my liking in one preset, and save it. Then I have to open all presets and resave them (or use FracTool), so the compressor block will update everywhere.?

Is this the way?

If the presets have the global block linked, they will update automatically when you update the global block (make changes in one of the presets and save it). If they are not linked, you'll have to reload the settings from the updated global block manually.

Added global Speaker Impedance Curve. When set to DEFAULT the speaker impedance curve used when selecting an amp model is the default curve for that amp model, otherwise it is the selected curve. NOTE: this does not affect existing presets. The selected curve is used only when selecting a new amp model.
I find this pretty confusing behavior. To me the obvious functionality would be that a global setting would always override a preset setting. Not only apply when you select a new amp model. To me the function of a global speaker impedance curve setting would be to make it easier to hook up to a poweramp and guitar cab but to me it seems the current functionality would be kinda arbitrary if it will apply or not?

Or am I just misunderstanding how it works? This is the way I think it works:
  1. I set global speaker impedance curve to the Fender Deluxe Reverb curve.
  2. I load a preset where I have a Bassman amp, set to a Bassman curve.
  3. Now the curve used would be the Bassman, because it's saved in an existing preset.
If I wanted the global setting to apply to any preset I load, how would I be able to do that?

Yes, SIC's in existing presets are NOT changed. The global setting will only take effect on new presets or if you change amp types in existing presets (which resets all advanced parameters).

Basically, for any existing presets, manually pick the SIC you want and save them. From then on, if you change amps or create new presets, the global setting will take effect.

I find this pretty confusing behavior. To me the obvious functionality would be that a global setting would always override a preset setting. Not only apply when you select a new amp model. To me the function of a global speaker impedance curve setting would be to make it easier to hook up to a poweramp and guitar cab but to me it seems the current functionality would be kinda arbitrary if it will apply or not?

Or am I just misunderstanding how it works? This is the way I think it works:
  1. I set global speaker impedance curve to the Fender Deluxe Reverb curve.
  2. I load a preset where I have a Bassman amp, set to a Bassman curve.
  3. Now the curve used would be the Bassman, because it's saved in an existing preset.
If I wanted the global setting to apply to any preset I load, how would I be able to do that?
it applies when you change to a new amp, so it would currently be for creating new presets. it leaves the old presets alone.

Awesome update. Thanks for the "Mute Outputs 1/2" option. I've was just thinking yesterday how nice that would be to have.

How do those compressors sound? It’s interesting that this update has changed to 18 instead of another 17.xx variation which implies something big.

If the presets have the global block linked, they will update automatically when you update the global block (make changes in one of the presets and save it). If they are not linked, you'll have to reload the settings from the updated global block manually.

Yes, that is how global blocks are supposed to work, but when the block code is updated, sometimes the link breaks (apparently). There was a recent compressor update where some types had parameters removed and others had new added. This seems to have broken my global blocks - At least, I find myself updating the same global block again and again in different presets.

Here from the wiki (I highlighted a typo @yek)
New firmware brings new features to blocks. This can cause a parameter in a Global Block to stick to its old value, and not update across presets (out of sync). To fix this, each preset that contains that Global Block needs to be re-saved in order to update the preset to the latest revision. Luckily, FracTool makes this easier; it allows you to automatically re-save presets (all, or a specified number).

The system uses internal storage to save the Global Blocks data. It's possible to exceed the available storage space. In that case the system will no longer stop saving additional Global Blocks. So use them wisely.

I'm checking the factory presets. Minor tweaks here and there related to compressor level as expected.
I'll save my results and post them — maybe just on the forum so it doesn't seem to create "new presets fatigue"?
It's the amount of compression..... I'll fix the preset translator so that the preset loads properly for the next release.
So, apparently this comment from Cliff about the compressor differences between 16.05 and 17.02 is no longer valid for 18.xx?

it applies when you change to a new amp, so it would currently be for creating new presets. it leaves the old presets alone.
Which can make things confusing since afaik there is no way to know if your preset is "old" vs "new". I assume that Fractal uses some sort of versioning for preset formats to check if it should be used or not.

To me it would make sense if it applied to every preset old or new, just turn the global setting back to default if you don't want to use it and it should restore the setting saved in the preset or default of the amp model, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom