Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 17.00

That's a lot of work if I have to repeat that everytime, when I want to use FullRes ... I'll guess I don't use FullRes then with my Mk 1 :D

The buttery with the new OD808 in front is so damn nice ... Thanks for bringing that amp back and adding the new toys!

That process with Fractal Bot is only temporary. Once Axe Edit and Cab Lab are updated to support FullRes, you'll be able to load IRs into the scratchpad much easier using those.

Just some commentary: I'm used to the old way of fw updates! I think it would be great to have separate fw links for mk1 and mk2! Then Mk1 users get their own specific FW, written and verified and tested with "love"... instead of "you'll use only what applies to lesser units from now on"... Is the Mk1 to be declared to be EOL soon (due to lack of Turbo and NV memory)?

No. Every Axe-FX model since day 1 has gotten firmware updates in lockstep with other models until that generation was discontinued. Absolutely no reason to believe the Axe-FX III series will be any different. Will some of the newer models get some additional features? Probably, but they're likely to be pretty minor features. I don't consider FullRes to be a gamechanger although it's pretty cool.

No. Every Axe-FX model since day 1 has gotten firmware updates in lockstep with other models until that generation was discontinued. Absolutely no reason to believe the Axe-FX III series will be any different. Will some of the newer models get some additional features? Probably, but they're likely to be pretty minor features. I don't consider FullRes to be a gamechanger although it's pretty cool.
No. There were separate FW download links (of the same new fw number) but for Axe FXII, XL, XL+...

WOW. My Mark I never sounded better. Fullres IR’s add a SIGNIFICANT amount of CPU though. Like 25% on mine with 2 panned left and right. I hope when more fullres come out I can stick with one and hopefully not give up too much. I really don’t want to buy a mark II Turbo but I can see why you might need one…

Would love answers/advice/guidance about: How come it's the same fw for mk1 and mk2? I know there's different functionality... so i'm confused... just install this on my Ax3 mk1 and certain features will be ignored and not be installed? Or will i have non functioning controls and/or tabs on the cab block/user banks/axedit?

Just some commentary: I'm used to the old way of fw updates! I think it would be great to have separate fw links for mk1 and mk2! Then Mk1 users get their own specific FW, written and verified and tested with "love"... instead of "you'll use only what applies to lesser units from now on"... Is the Mk1 to be declared to be EOL soon (due to lack of Turbo and NV memory)?
Why does it matter how fractal decide to handle their codebase and releases. Mk 1 gets a new firmware update, whether it’s the same or different for mk 2 isn’t really relevant as a user.

I just shaved a percent or two off the FullRes processing algorithm. The documentation doesn't allude to it but I suspected that the inverse FFT function only needs the first N/2+1 points if the result is real. Sure enough, the data above Nyquist is not used so I was able to remove the "mirroring code".
This was it, I remember having to google "Nyquist frequency" and discover a lot more amazing science that's been around a lot longer than I might have guessed.

Why does it matter how fractal decide to handle their codebase and releases. Mk 1 gets a new firmware update, whether it’s the same or different for mk 2 isn’t really relevant as a user.
It matters to me... a confused customer! For example, right now i don't know if i should update the USB FW from 1.08 to 1.10. All it says is "includes changes for Mk2" i have Mk1, so do i need it or not?
With regards to the new 17.00 FW... if i have a Mk1 and not interested in FullresIR...should i update from 16.05? What's in it for a Mk1 unit? Do i need that USB FW 1.10(intended for Mk2) update too? Do i need AxeEdit 1.10 (released today for all the Mk2/Fullres hoopla) or should i stay on 1.09.02?

If anything, i expect a helpful answer like "yes, AxeFx3 MK1 users benefit from all recent updates" or "no, new updates are intended for new units and not necessary for legacy products" ... no need to antagonize with "internet people"

i expect a helpful answer like "yes, AxeFx3 MK1 users benefit from all recent updates" or "no, new updates are intended for new units and not necessary for legacy products" ... no need to antagonize with "internet people"
It's not either/or, it's both/and: MK1+MKII get same base FW updates (e.g. System+Cygnus+Effects) while MKII gets a few extra options due to NV memory.

Last edited:
It matters to me... a confused customer! For example, right now i don't know if i should update the USB FW from 1.08 to 1.10. All it says is "includes changes for Mk2" i have Mk1, so do i need it or not?
With regards to the new 17.00 FW... if i have a Mk1 and not interested in FullresIR...should i update from 16.05? What's in it for a Mk1 unit? Do i need that USB FW 1.10(intended for Mk2) update too? Do i need AxeEdit 1.10 (released today for all the Mk2/Fullres hoopla) or should i stay on 1.09.02?

If anything, i expect a helpful answer like "yes, AxeFx3 MK1 users benefit from all recent updates" or "no, new updates are intended for new units and not necessary for legacy products" ... no need to antagonize with "internet people"
If you read the release notes you'll see that there are some benefits to upgrading the MkI as well.
Another Amp has been added (or brought back) as well as a couple of drives, some Looper changes etc.

Until Cliff feels it necessary to split the firmware updates between the two Axes, downloading the same one is fine. The MkI just won't have access to some things the MkII has and the new Turbo will probably have some things the MkII won't have. Until notified, we all download the same firmware update.

As far as the USB driver goes...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

OMFG

Still happy with my Mark I, though. But damn that's nuts.
That stings quite a bit that our Mark I chips won't support a quality change like this. The II doesn't have that many upgraded facets to warrant buying it if you already have a I. Maybe in time they can optimize the code to be less memory and chip intensive and our unit$ will be able to benefit from these upgrades. Ooof.. disappointing in some regards..**

Is it normal that Axe-Edit becomes really slow after the update? Both FW and Axe edit are the latest, running under macOS.

Back
Top Bottom