AITR

But could not be created in the fractal site a "page" where this super ultra res are loaded and could be picked and downloaded by fractal users according to their needs? Maybe you need only one of a specific cab mic..

As Cliff has mentioned, using factory banks would create a mess with presets that use factory IRs
I'm not using the factory presets either. If an option is presented to the individual user when updating, I would choose one of the factory banks. If this is not possible, I can gladly give some space from my user banks.

While not using the factory presets (except when I use them as a reference while dialing, not to go too astray beacause of ear fatigue), instead of the factory presets and IR's, User Bank 2 is much more spendable IMHO.

I have beccome quite happy with my current sounds from the Axe-FX III. i didn't hear anything in Cliff's audio files that makes all gooey and wet inside and kicks in my "got to have that," reflex.

I cuurently have one 114 presets loaded into my Axe, and probably use 8-10 regularly. Less than half the user cab slots are filled, and I have maybe a dozen cabs used in current presets.

I'm a hard pass on AITR.

What i ment to say is, putting the same Highres IR through Fullres (reamp) should make no difference as the IR has still the length of Highres so its got the same tone and length. I could be mistaken, but he was talking about the "same" IR

You would play a riff through full-res, then simply use the same ir trimmed to ultra-res and reamp. Same thing we can do now with ultra-res vs normal-res, as we can select length of the ir in the cab block or with cab lab.

I'm excited also to try full-res, but for the intended purpose, I would guess a select handful would be all that's needed?

Maybe I still don't have my head properly wrapped around this having abandoned ir reflections for the most part some time ago in favor of cpu miserly 512s and'some room in the reverb block.
This is why I was wondering if we can go back if this ends up not being the great thing it seems to be. Even if we can’t get the IR bank back, can this space be used for a different addition in the future? I mean, those samples do sound great that Cliff posted, but sometimes stuff doesn’t stick around, you know?

I don't know if anyone here has already asked this, but will it be possible to save the Preset-Cab Bundle in version 17.00? I have been waiting for this feature for a very long time. Thanks!

They are still working to implement that feature on Axe-Edit. A while ago they did show a screenshot of how it looks like.

It must me challenging, because there are many permutations of the two CAB blocks ~ four IR slots ~ eight Scenes, but I hope that it will be available soon.

What intrigues me about this change is having the room reverb I normally use the reverb block for, replaced by a far better room reverb baked into the IR. From what I can gather reading about this, no separate reverb effect could approach the quality of the true reflections captured
into an IR.

My apprehensions are:
  • I have no parameter control at all - with a separate reverb block, I have loads.
  • I have no placement control as I do with reverb block (do I really want this much reverb before blocks like modulation?).
  • few variations are available yet.

Maybe I still don't have my head properly wrapped around this having abandoned ir reflections for the most part some time ago in favor of cpu miserly 512s and some room in the reverb block.
I agree with you on this. I kind of touched on it a few pages ago, and got blasted for being ungrateful, so it's nice to see someone else think objectively about it as well.

I did link to in one of my posts to a twelve year old post with a discussion about this with Jay Mitchell.

I'm just finding it odd that we were told for the whole duration of the product lines that longer IR's weren't needed, and to use reverb to fill in the missing pieces.

So why is this new feature added to the IR block now, and not the Reverb block, or its own block, and may or may not fit on the mk1, but if you buy the mk2 it will definitely fit.

That older discussion

It’s not hard to imagine Cliff thinking “No good deed goes unpunished.”

When the AFX III MKII was released, it was made explicitly clear that the MKII had additional memory to allow functionality that the MKI would not share.

Cliff has let it be known that he has something cool in mind for the MKII … and wait a minute – there may be a workaround that would let the MKI take advantage of this same new coolness! Cause for celebration, right?

Instead, some are grousing that they weren’t personally notified about Fractal’s private business plans. (As if it’s a huge revelation that Fractal might be working on things we don’t know about. (FM9, AXE-FX IV, etc.))

Since I first bought my Ultra years ago, it’s been pretty much a constant progression of win/win for the end user, and we’ve all benefited from that. It will be difficult to find anyone on the forum who can seriously present a cogent argument otherwise.

It’s almost a law that when you buy a new phone, computer, tablet, TV, etc., it seems like that’s when the announcement comes about a new, upgraded product you’d really like. Unless you’re oh, 12 or so, it’s happened to you enough times that you understand “that’s life, Jack.”

So, feel free to direct some anger and frustration my way, instead of trying to kill the Golden Goose. Give the guy a break, and show some gratitude. Sheesh.
It's foolish, for a lack of a better word, to think that Fractal Audio doesn't play things close to the vest to maximize sells of each product line. If you've been around for any amount of time, you've watched it happen about ten times now. Zero heads-up for anyone interested in a purchase, and no continuity in release dates keeps everyone purchasing all the way up until the essentially the day before a new product is released. For them to release any details about anything would stall purchases until the release of the new product. You see it all the time with cell phones, televisions, gaming systems, computer parts, vehicles, etc. The list goes on. And every item on that list has a lead up and anticipation factor associated with it before it's release. That's their business model, and they can afford it as they're generally multi-billion dollar companies. Fractal Audio, not so much, but I still imagine doing well.

So yes, I am miffed the that I had no head ups on a back up unit I bought, paid the same price for it, and the updated version was released a month and a week later. There was no research I could have done to prevent this either.

That's what I'm saying. So don't turn it into something negative please. I'm a huge Fractal supporter, and I'm willing to bet I've sold more units to the musicians in my area than this forum has through the years.

My novice understanding is that the reverb block (or any other simulated reverb) is not going to be able to replace the quality of fullrez IR reflections which are "real" in the sense that they are captures of the actual sounds that surrounded the cab at recording. So given this, it does not seem it can be done in a separate block. Was reading through the post you mention but it had turned into such a mud slinging match I never did get to the crux of if/why Jay feels/felt that IR reflections could be as well or better replicated outside of an IR.
The whole point of reverb is to replicate a room or surrounding. Briscati is the crème de la crème of this.

And I agree. Jay is undoubtedly incredibly intelligent and knowledgeable, but gets sideways quick lol

What intrigues me about this change is having the room reverb I normally use the reverb block for, replaced by a far better room reverb baked into the IR. From what I can gather reading about this, no separate reverb effect could approach the quality of the true reflections captured
into an IR.

My apprehensions are:
  • I have no parameter control at all - with a separate reverb block, I have loads.
  • I have no placement control as I do with reverb block (do I really want this much reverb before blocks like modulation?).
  • few variations are available yet.

Maybe I still don't have my head properly wrapped around this having abandoned ir reflections for the most part some time ago in favor of cpu miserly 512s and some room in the reverb block.

Since it’s ment for recording, imagine it as a room mic channel. You can record it to a separate track and mix or even mute later on. You don’t have to commit to it.

It is giving us many more options for recording, even for live, for inear mixes etc.

and in my opinion this is also smth which is getting Axe Fx closer to having a convolution reverb block!!! I am pretty sure it will happen... not too soon probably.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom