Didnt have time to finish. Is it good?

Once I was addicted to tech playing, now I'm not; maybe because I can not play like these "tech monsters" do (as Ian wrote jealously is an awful beast) or maybe because now I prefer to listen to something else. But I absolutely prefer that a young guys tries to be "the fast guitar in the west" than a mediocre Trapper. Just my 2cent

I dig his sense of humour

@FractalAudio ^^^ that's less compressed-clean than the other videos. I've always thought the hyper-compression was necessary for a light touch on a clean tone to keep the note-to-note volume even. But, could also just be a tone he likes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Once I was addicted to tech playing, now I'm not; maybe because I can not play like these "tech monsters" do (as Ian wrote jealously is an awful beast) or maybe because now I prefer to listen to something else. But I absolutely prefer that a young guys tries to be "the fast guitar in the west" than a mediocre Trapper. Just my 2cent
I just relax and enjoy it. Sped up, not sped up -- immaterial. It's just cool to see kids pushing the envelope.

I cannot imagine the immense quantity of work that must be behind this, so beyond the sound that is maybe particular but good, yes it's great. Doesn't matter if its my thing or not. (For sure I will not reach that performance in present life...)

I don't know about sped up, but a lot of this player's videos seem to be mimed. For example, the first chord voicing on this one: LINK

It rings right up to the second voicing, but he clearly lifts from the notes about a half beat earlier to fret the second one. (It's easier to notice at .5x or .25x speed.) This exact thing happens on many other videos (and several times later in the one linked) so I think he's basically recording audio one chord/lick at a time.

This is utter conjecture, no?
No, you can hear and see it. Or maybe I'm some kind of savant who can spot sped up audio and video? ;) Nah, it's really obvious that it's sped up, edited (cut and pasted together to perfection), and mimed (which it has to be since the audio is heavily edited). Further proof to this is that the hands don't always match the audio (as @Bakerman said).

Look at his hands, the movements are very unnatural and choppy. Slow down the video 20-25 %, and it starts to look like movements a human can actually perform. Take a normal video of another guitar player, put the speed at x 1.25, and it will look weird in the same way.

Last edited:
No, you can hear and see it. Or maybe I'm some kind of savant who can spot sped up audio and video? ;) Nah, it's really obvious that it's sped up, edited (cut and pasted together to perfection), and mimed (which it has to be since the audio is heavily edited). Further proof to this is that the hands don't always match the audio (as @Bakerman said).

Look at his hands, the movements are very unnatural and choppy. Slow down the video 20-25 %, and it starts to look like movements a human can actually perform. Take a normal video of another guitar player, put the speed at x 1.25, and it will look weird in the same way.
This is conjecture.

The kid posts his practice sessions so you can see how hard he works to do this.

Unreal what a bunch of adults will do to tear a kid down on the internet.

I don't know about sped up, but a lot of this player's videos seem to be mimed. For example, the first chord voicing on this one: LINK

It rings right up to the second voicing, but he clearly lifts from the notes about a half beat earlier to fret the second one. (It's easier to notice at .5x or .25x speed.) This exact thing happens on many other videos (and several times later in the one linked) so I think he's basically recording audio one chord/lick at a time.
This type of thing happens in the studio all the time, but since there is no video we don't feel there is hoodwinkery involved as some might in this case.

One thing is for sure; while there are videos out there that have been sped up, there’s going to be a generation figuring out how to play the sped up versions without any kind of trickery.

About 15 years back my buddy, a drummer, was hired to play drums in this young dude’s blues band. I went and caught one of their first gigs once he joined and asked my buddy after, “Hey man, that kid is pretty great, but what’s up with the fuckin’ autotune on his voice?”, my buddy lit up and goes “DUDE! I asked that SAME question when we were practicing, he’s not using autotune! He sings like that! The other guys in the band were busting his balls about learning how to sing off T-Pain songs while practicing Albert Lee licks!”

And sure as shit, you can go on YouTube and look up a bunch of vocal covers of songs that are known for heavy autotune use and there are people out there mimicking it without using autotune. Or the beatboxers who can mimick an entire rhythm section with their voice.

I can’t say I believe this particular vid in the OP is sped up, but I didn’t pay much attention to it. Growing up on guys like Vai, EJ and Petrucci and knowing how kids have the world at their fingertips with information/lessons/tips/influences, I’m not surprised kids are playing like this. Those Polyphia dudes aren’t doing anything any different and they’re definitely doing it all live.

Now the Rings Of Saturn types.....that’s a different story and there’s definitely some liberties being taken with the whole “backing track to fill in the sound” thing. There was another band I saw in 2019, Fit For A King, both the guitars and bass were on tracks and the guys onstage were barely turned up. I noticed the guitarist miming a pinch harmonic, he ended early and the harmonic kept going and it wasn’t delay. Then I watch the bass player spinning in fuckin’ circles while pretending to play, that turned my stomach a bit. That’s as disingenuous as it gets and there’s nothing more lame than a metal band doing the Britney Spears thing. At least their singer and drummer were actually performing on their instruments.

This is conjecture.

The kid posts his practice sessions so you can see how hard it works to do this.

Unreal what a bunch of adults will do to tear a kid down on the internet.

You can clearly see that he speeds up many of his clips. Not conjecture, not opinion, it's fact. Why do you think so many state that it's sped up? Because it's plain to see for anyone who knows what to look for. Do you honestly mean that you don't see or hear anything suspicious?

Look at the clip in the OP. Look at the movement of the hands compared to the clip you posted (which isn't sped up, and not nearly as fast as the OP clip or many of his others). The last 20-25 % of his speed is all due to recording small segments, pasting them together, and speeding up the video and audio. And yes, you can also hear the edits in clips such as the OP one. IOW, when one part of the recorded audio ends, and the next begins.

Plus, he's not a kid. He's a grown man (27 this year). Faking his skills. And making money of it. He deserves the criticism.

I don't care how it's done; I think it's wonderful.

I mean, how is speeding up and editing a video any different from using a computer (or pencil and paper!) to compose music? It's a way of getting content from the brain to the ears, and should be applauded full stop.

He does interesting stuff like compose things in all-E tuning:

That's wild.

This all-F tuning one ends with him practicing with just the acoustic sound:

Back
Top Bottom