Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.00 "Cygnus"

This ^^ - I keep seeing posts where people express huge differences with adjustment in INPUT level, and wonder if I'm confused about how this mechanism works as I understood INPUT level has NO impact on signal within a patch and only relates to the strength of signal Axefx has to lock onto (tickling red is ideal). - guitar signal remains exactly unaffected regardless of INPUT level except if input signal strength were extremely low/high. If I want to make my guitar signal within a patch stronger weaker, I can adjust "INPUT
GAIN" or input block LEVEL which are separate controls from INPUT level.
You’re right. The Input Level parameter hs no effect on signal level in the grid, except at extreme settings.

We've been way past the point of modeling being indistinguishable from the real thing for a long time. Cygnus isn't about that.
Take the Tweed Deluxe for instance. You could always get the frequency and gain response, but it was always missing the spit and squoosh of the real thing. When you strum hard on an open E chord on the real thing with the gain cranked, the output volume disappears as the caps drain and the volume comes back as they slowly recharge. Cygnus does that now.
You may notice many amps get louder as you reduce your guitar volume pot.
Then there's the extremely reactive pick response that has made many adjust their technique. Then there's the speaker dynamics that alter the frequency response and output volume over time, which you can actually control unlike reality.
Then there's the completely redone cathode bias response and all the bias excursion extremes you can control with a knob.
I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot. Oh, right, the under-note thump.
Cygnus is that .001% that may not matter in a mix but you sure as hell feel!
Exactly.

I'd read it was an EMG fitted custom Steinberger into a Big Muff into a Fender Super Champ which was then played through the LA Forum PA.
There might have been a GK in there too considering it was Gilmour.

That pic looks like the rig he used on his solo tour in '84

Here's a pic of the guitar he used I took when I visited the DG auction in London
View attachment 82476

Gilmourish say the GK was one of the main amps on the Momentary Lapse of reason album and Sorrow was on a Concert, but apparently no real records were kept so they're not 100% sure

https://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=30

Ah, my bad! That’ll learn me for being the know it all.

Can anyone comment on the "non-chug" amp types? ie Fender style, edge of breakup type amps. As someone who is more of a blues/classic rock player I have a bit of an aversion to anything "chuggish", and its all anyone seems to talk about! I'm keen to hear some thoughts on the less gainy varieties and if there's much improvement or change there. Even the more rock orientated Marshall Plexi's etc.

Can anyone comment on the "non-chug" amp types? ie Fender style, edge of breakup type amps. As someone who is more of a blues/classic rock player I have a bit of an aversion to anything "chuggish", and its all anyone seems to talk about! I'm keen to hear some thoughts on the less gainy varieties and if there's much improvement or change there. Even the more rock orientated Marshall Plexi's etc.

Peep this vid.

I have a clean-ish preset for piezo/neck single coil that uses the HiPower Jumped model. Bottom end is much tighter, and much more clarity all around.

@Nado All the Fenders have their differences. Silverface Twin is clean, BF Deluxe growls, Tweed Deluxe is from another planet, Princeton is my favorite allrounder. I haven't tried the bassmans or band commander yet.

I've really been enjoying the Supro, Jumpered Tweed Deluxe, and Budda in 16.0 as far as low-mid gain goes. I was digging the Rambler for a few of the betas, but have switched from that to the Concert for cleaner tones with more prominent mids than Blackface tones.

Not sure if this is a Cygnus or Axe Edit thing; Setting things up to use an FC-6. I can't select view, inc/dec, +1. I only see Minus...
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 8.13.12 PM.png

Clarity and tightness of the sound are better on cleaner amps, and the lows are a bit punchier and more dynamic.

@Nado All the Fenders have their differences. Silverface Twin is clean, BF Deluxe growls, Tweed Deluxe is from another planet, Princeton is my favorite allrounder. I haven't tried the bassmans or band commander yet.
Do you have a favorite IR to use with the Silverface for clean tones?

I hate to say I don't really have anything enlightening to say about it; it's really just personal experience! I think probably some other folks on this forum may more eloquently be able to articulate reasons for this. Not to mention, I'm sure a lot of people would totally disagree with what I wrote; through a long journey of tone, I just found that small cabs just have something special about them I can't name, and a lot of times, to my ears (I have to stress this is the most subjective thing in the world!) when it comes to mic'd sounds, the smaller cabs just sound bigger sonically. I know that doesn't really help, sorry. I'm not professional either, by the way. To investigate this, just work with some random factory cabs that are small and fool around until you get the character you want, then compare with some 4 x 12s. To me, usually the top end and pick attack on mic'd 4 x 12 often get thin. Maybe it's just my guitar, my pick, my pickups...who knows haha.
I have to imagine that it has to do with how much of the speaker the mic is able to capture. Think about it, you are getting twice the area of the speaker on a 6 inch speaker as opposed to 12 inch with the same mic at the same location and proximity. Has to make for balance across a wider range of frequencies.

Do you have a favorite IR to use with the Silverface for clean tones?
I use York's 5153 for everything and if that doesn't work (rare), York's Bogna.
I have the Deluxe too but that's got a ton of low end, being rumbly amps anyway with not much filtering and I was never a big fan of Oxfarts.

I use York's 5153 for everything and if that doesn't work (rare), York's Bogna.
I have the Deluxe too but that's got a ton of low end, being rumbly amps anyway with not much filtering and I was never a big fan of Oxfarts.
Thanks for the tip! I just bought the YA 5153 pack, so I'm all set.

Back
Top Bottom