Let's see those FM3 rigs!

Now that they're making their way out into the real world, let's see those rigs coming together! Are you mounting it to a board? Flying free and ultra-flexible? We want to see them in the wild!

(Fair warning: if you want to joke about post your "there's a missing FM3 in this picture" post there's a thread for your buffonery over here. Use that instead, please and thanks. Keep this one for the actual rig pictures.)

I'm not ready to commit to a board. I like the flexibility of running it all lose on the floor. I'll sometimes add a second EV2 and an external, 2-button switch box that drops me into the MLM quickly on the FC6 or lets me tap in a tempo on the fly from the external switches. Totally superfluous most nights though.
My humble little setup. Just got it last week.

Nice. Can I ask what MIDI cable you are using for the airstep and possible link if you have. I can’t find a slim profile cable anywhere. Thanks

Also, look up Free The Tone MIDI cables. They’re pretty low profile and you can angle them however you need. Also Rockboard but I’m not sure how those are in terms of having the correct angles.

Love this thread. I‘ve got an FM3, FC6 and EV2 incoming. The only pedal I‘m hanging onto, for now, is my mini Morley Bad Horsie wah. Lots of good ideas for boards on here.

I’ve gone back 15 pages or so and noticed a few boards had a Drop pedal. Questions I have is does the FM3 have a detune block where I can drop tune to Eb? If yes, how does it compare to the Drop? I had a Whammy DT and loved the Drop tune.

Thanks,
Jim

That's kind of where I am at right now. I have a DT and am going to try running
it out front at the next band rehearsal. Already running a Wah out front and love
it. Especially one like the Bad Horsie that you can use to goose the front end a
little when the Wah is engaged.

Updated board
Fm3
Airstep
Ep booster (always on)
Freqout
Friedman be-od (not because it sounds better, it doesn’t sound better than the newly updated drives, because I like easy access to tweaking on the fly)
Morningstar ml 5 loop switcher controlled by midi from the fm3. (because I like to occasionally add analogue pedals into scenes/presets)
Works flawlessly.
Out of picture is spring loaded mission exp for wah and boss fv500 for volume.

I get the on the fly tweaking, but man oh man for all the Friedman hype in the
past 5 years or so I could not get rid of the BE-OD fast enough. Tried it again
recently for the 2nd time thinking it was just my weak ears and bad taste.

Probably still is. ;)

People with temple boards - what did you do to get the power to the FM3? I don’t want to cut or drill into my duo17. Same question for XLR.... do the low profile XLR cables fit through the larger temple holes?

I currently run power out of the side but I want it cleaner! I’m guessing I’ll have to solder :/

Attachments

• 93413F22-0643-4833-8796-E87B569ED7F8.jpeg
    93413F22-0643-4833-8796-E87B569ED7F8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 113
I get the on the fly tweaking, but man oh man for all the Friedman hype in the
past 5 years or so I could not get rid of the BE-OD fast enough. Tried it again
recently for the 2nd time thinking it was just my weak ears and bad taste.

Probably still is. ;)
I use it only on the lower gain channel, with the gain down at zero.....and the tone controls all at 12 oclock....dont like it once you turn the gain up too high. I get it to just give an overdriven amp sound that extra kick using the volume control.

very occasionally I use the high gain channel when i need a searing lead. works for me.

I use it only on the lower gain channel, with the gain down at zero.....and the tone controls all at 12 oclock....dont like it once you turn the gain up too high. I get it to just give an overdriven amp sound that extra kick using the volume control.

very occasionally I use the high gain channel when i need a searing lead. works for me.

That's cool. :)

Maybe I am just not a fan of the Friedman take on Marshall's iconic amp designs. There are some
cool quasi-Marshall amps in the Fractal lineup I seem to dig a lot more and am using in the band
---like the Atomica, Euro, and Cornfed.

Fractal has a flavour for everyone!! :)

People with temple boards - what did you do to get the power to the FM3? I don’t want to cut or drill into my duo17. Same question for XLR.... do the low profile XLR cables fit through the larger temple holes?

I currently run power out of the side but I want it cleaner! I’m guessing I’ll have to solder :/

I went through the same disappointment with my Temple Audio board. While there are some great features and ideas, they missed the mark on a few things. While it would have been probably easier and quicker, I was determined not to make any destructive changes to my new board.

I'm very surprised they never thought someone would never want to fit an AC plug, XLR jack, or MIDI cable through the other side of the board.

Anyway... on to the mitigations.

XLR Cables
For the XLR problem, I used Cable Techniques low profile XLR cables. While the cable won't fit through as a whole, the trick is you can remove the sleeve of the connector and slide it through without having to unsolder the connections.

Assembled...
IMG_0145.jpg
Unassembled without the sleeve ...
IMG_0148.jpg

Full cable...
ctlpxr18b.jpg
On board and through...

IMG_0152_LI1.jpg

AC CORDS

For the AC cords, it's a little work but easy enough for anyone to do. I just cut up some old ones and slip them through the board. Then attached a new plug end with these. No soldering, just need some wire strippers and a screwdriver, and your good. Caution: Just make sure you reconnect wires in-phase properly for your safety.

Amazon product ASIN B007QVPQ96
Leviton 3W101-E 2-Pole, 3 Wire Grounding Plug

MIDI CABLES

I used these cables - Creation MIDI cable

It was a very snug fit, but I was able to "muscle-fuck" the straight end through the hole in the board. You could probably grind the sleeve and make it easier.

What's also nice about the Creation angle midi cable is it's adjustable. You can loosen and rotate the pins to multiple different positions to change the orientation of the plug. I found this to be very useful in my setup.

IMG_1386_1024x1024@2x1.jpg

Again, no soldering or board alterations were required with any of these solutions.

I hope you find some of this helpful.

Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_0152_LI1.jpg
    IMG_0152_LI1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
So I have my FM3. I also have a Powerstage 200, as well as a Sennheiser ew100 g3 Wireless Receiver. I also plan on getting a Polytune, lol. I'm brand new to this world and this would be my first ever pedalboard, so if anyone could lead me into the right direction for a setup like this, but not too much wasted space, I'm all ears. (Oh and room for one of the Furman Surge Protectors underneath so I just use one plug, or a better solution from anyone who suggests)

Long time heavy-weight pedalboard guy here! My new setup (since december) - clean, small and simple.
EHX 720, SD Power Stage 170, EV1, FM3 (with CEBA case) and a custom build switcher (by the awesome dude of LOOPERWERK) to control both the EHX720 and FM3 (preset and view up/down) - everything packed on a Temple Audio 17 and into a Pelicase 1605 air (perfect fit!).
SquarePlugs, Mooer Mushroom topper, Rockboard MIDI Cable, angled USB cable and a few ports on the side :)

View attachment 81670

View attachment 81671

View attachment 81672

View attachment 81673

Can those squareplugs fit side by side with the wires facing downward? Like if you used input2 and output2?

My apologies for not going through 60 pages of posts but does anyone rock an FM3 and a Boss SY1000 on their board?

I don't have an FM3 yet but I can see it will whip major butt in the amp and effects department. The Fractal Wiki page detailing the factory presets is a tipping point!

The SY1000 to its credit does do its own thing in some areas.

I'm thinking FM3 and SY through a small mixer and blending some SY tones into the signal flow with a volume pedal.

FM3, FC6 and EV-2 arrived today. Put them on my new Temple Audio board along with the only outboard pedal I’ll be using, my Morley Wah. Still trying to figure out how I’m going to secure the 3 and 6. Good times ahead!

Attachments

• 12A66872-6C74-46C7-94A3-AB2D74D975DC.jpeg
    12A66872-6C74-46C7-94A3-AB2D74D975DC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 84
Question or 2....Can I use my EV-2 both as an expression and volume pedal? I think I read before on this forum that I can power the FC6 with the FM3? Pardon my ignorance and thanks in advanc!

Back
Top Bottom