Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in the edit thread, but I don't think many people check it very often. Is anyone else having issues with the preset leveling tool in the new axe edit? I just get a tiny box that won't let me do anything but close it. I've rebooted the axe, PC and even reinstalled edit.

either I'm getting the hang of dialing in Mesa Boogies, or I just had ear fatigue before, or Cygnus is just that great
During the previous beta I was playing with a Mark series preset, and, dang, it reminded me so much of my old Mark IIB that'd sing and sing, so much so that that preset is my #2, following my Lonestar preset, currently sitting at #1 on my list of favorites.

I can't dial in a Recto to save my life. But Boogies... I cut my teeth on those and used them for decades.
I never got into the Rectifier models or sound, but the Mark series, and the Lonestar... ooohhhhh yeah!

These models, the new code, is SO good, it's beyond great, suffered wrap-around (probably because it was declared as unsigned) and is now totally evil, but in a good way. :)

Y'all are seriously rocking this!

I posted this in the edit thread, but I don't think many people check it very often. Is anyone else having issues with the preset leveling tool in the new axe edit? I just get a tiny box that won't let me do anything but close it. I've rebooted the axe, PC and even reinstalled edit.
I can't duplicate it. I've been using the leveler tweaking presets through each of the betas with no visual glitches.

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 8.05.18 PM.png

My God, I finally was able to try this speaker compression. That's it; that's the final stage. I mean, absolutely the feeling of being in the room with a purring tube amp. Holy God, I can't believe this feeling. I am again, floored by this next level of realism. I'm so glad I took the plunge to get into the AxeFX. I'm getting that feeling of every note just hitting you in the chest in that very particular way, with headphones on. And the fact you can actually dial it in to various degrees...I'm just floored. My thanks, in the deepest sense. I can't believe this feeling.

My God, I finally was able to try this speaker compression. That's it; that's the final stage. I mean, absolutely the feeling of being in the room with a purring tube amp. Holy God, I can't believe this feeling. I am again, floored by this next level of realism. I'm so glad I took the plunge to get into the AxeFX. I'm getting that feeling of every note just hitting you in the chest in that very particular way, with headphones on. And the fact you can actually dial it in to various degrees...I'm just floored. My thanks, in the deepest sense. I can't believe this feeling.
Jesus christ. Chill the fuck out.

I'm finding myself playing with the speaker dynamics at a pretty high level, depending on the amp. It's weirdly awesome; I'm thinking of it vaguely analogous to one of those Pultecs or something, where I dial in the Speaker Compression to balance the highs in the most refined way possible. I think the idea with the push-pull eq is something like messing with the character of a frequency band, maybe reducing a band, then replacing with almost the same band, but with the character of the Pultec changing how it feels; I could have that all wrong, but that idea is what this feels like. Like the low end that I'm carefully controlling with everything else not to overtake the rest of the tone gets added back in with the Speaker Compression, but with an altogether different character, a much more real feeling character that somehow makes it feel just like a great tube amp pushing a great cabinet right next to you. I don't know; this sounds like bullshit haha, but that's the best way I can explain how it feels to me!

Jesus christ. Chill the fuck out.
Why on earth would I want to do that? To me the point of life is to seek out things that would make me freak out with excitement! I hope never to try to downplay the best part of life like that, in order to avoid comments like that haha! You do it your way, Buddy; I'll do it mine. :) Walk in my shoes for a moment: You spend your life chasing tone, way too broke for good equipment or the ability to play loudly in the places you live. You practice as hard as you can every moment you can, and all you every think about is playing. Then you, against all instincts to save whatever money you do have, splurge on something you can't try out in person, which for you is a gamble you can't recover from if you fuck up. It turns out this gamble actually gives you the very tones you've been chasing your whole life, the stuff you'd discover in guitar stores on gear you could never afford. I truly hope you can experience something that level of awesomeness one day!

I'm finding myself playing with the speaker dynamics at a pretty high level, depending on the amp. It's weirdly awesome; I'm thinking of it vaguely analogous to one of those Pultecs or something, where I dial in the Speaker Compression to balance the highs in the most refined way possible. I think the idea with the push-pull eq is something like messing with the character of a frequency band, maybe reducing a band, then replacing with almost the same band, but with the character of the Pultec changing how it feels; I could have that all wrong, but that idea is what this feels like. Like the low end that I'm carefully controlling with everything else not to overtake the rest of the tone gets added back in with the Speaker Compression, but with an altogether different character, a much more real feeling character that somehow makes it feel just like a great tube amp pushing a great cabinet right next to you. I don't know; this sounds like bullshit haha, but that's the best way I can explain how it feels to me!

Why on earth would I want to do that? To me the point of life is to seek out things that would make me freak out with excitement! I hope never to try to downplay the best part of life like that, in order to avoid comments like that haha! You do it your way, Buddy; I'll do it mine. :) Walk in my shoes for a moment: You spend your life chasing tone, way too broke for good equipment or the ability to play loudly in the places you live. You practice as hard as you can every moment you can, and all you every think about is playing. Then you, against all instincts to save whatever money you do have, splurge on something you can't try out in person, which for you is a gamble you can't recover from if you fuck up. It turns out this gamble actually gives you the very tones you've been chasing your whole life, the stuff you'd discover in guitar stores on gear you could never afford. I truly hope you can experience something that level of awesomeness one day!

Hell yeah! I'm on this guy's side.

dinosaur.jpeg

The key (IMO) to a good Recto sound is an overdrive or EQ in front to help deal with the excessive bass. I like the Grinder, but there are plenty of good choices. I don't care for the 600 Hz bump from a regular TS 808 though -- TS 808 Mod sounds better, IMO.

I love Boogies too, I just hate dialing them in. I wish there was a Boogie that had a "normal" amp interface where BMT did what you expected! Then I could save the GEQ for small adjustments like I do for every other amp in the box.
I usually will use the Input boost set to a low setting 0-4. For the Recto and MK's, I like the TS808 Mod Boost type. If I need EQ in the front of the amp generally will use the input EQ on the Amp Block. Then use the Amp block's Output Eq post amp or pre-pa. But, if the is a need for a GEQ in Output amp can be set to input. It saves using another couple of blocks and keeps the amp tweaking a little more focused.

As far as the BMT acting as expected have you tried using one of the other tone stacks (Active or Neutral maybe?

Before this particular firmware I'd ALWAYS set speaker compression to 0.....just preferred the sound and feel.....but NOW, I LOVE the speaker compression!!!!!

Just a tad, as it gets flubby real quick, but what a difference it makes! Bravo Cliff!!!👏

It sounds like a good, warmed up tube amp, and feels AMAZING under the fingers as Leon put it.

Someone said this is the last 5% for tone perfection, and I agree! The realizm is fantastic, and I feel like I've been playing a hot tube amp with every model!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom