You guys are in for another treat.

How is composed the development team in @FractalAudio ?
Cliff is alone coding? And then there is another team for axe edit ? How many persons? I don’t know nothing about the team that’s why I asked a factory tour

I went the other way with other modelers for a while and recently bought an Axe-FX III. I'm glad I did. Not only does it sound killer, but I had also forgotten how nice it was to have information on nearly a daily basis. I know that some of the competition doesn't even mention what they are doing on a monthly basis, much less keep us users informed on nearly a daily basis as Cliff does. So we are "very" fortunate to have this because believe me, this is NOT the norm outside of the fractal world.
This. Line 6 products was a mainstay in rig over the past few decades. I was getting upset as a Helix owner not know when anything new was dropping or what was planned. Their forums are pretty closed and anytime I'd ask a question they would just refer to some generic tutorial video or something. The community here is what sold on buying FAS equipment until either they don't exist or I don't exist. The first won't happen because the product is too good :p

Just finished coding it. Sounds much better than the old algorithm. I put in a switch in the debug build to switch between the new and old algorithms and it's noticeably better.

What I realized with this epiphany is that tube amps are better for HiFi as well. I'm not a HiFi person but now I know why HiFi people prefer tube amps. They probably don't understand why it sounds better, they just know it sounds better.

This leads to a potential improvement for solid-state HiFi amplification: Current-mode Class-D. If you could make a Class-D amplifier that works in current mode instead of voltage mode you would get the same benefits as a tube amp for HiFi applications.

Just finished coding it. Sounds much better than the old algorithm. I put in a switch in the debug build to switch between the new and old algorithms and it's noticeably better.

What I realized with this epiphany is that tube amps are better for HiFi as well. I'm not a HiFi person but now I know why HiFi people prefer tube amps. They probably don't understand why it sounds better, they just know it sounds better.

This leads to a potential improvement for solid-state HiFi amplification: Current-mode Class-D. If you could make a Class-D amplifier that works in current mode instead of voltage mode you would get the same benefits as a tube amp for HiFi applications.
I always tend to turn down the speaker compression setting from its default value, I. never really chased the accurate tube amp sound just try to make what I like. But what you described in your last 2 comments seems to say this will change. Cant wait! Glad to have axe 3 !

Write the patent now!

They probably don't understand why it sounds better, they just know it sounds better.
Too true.
Back in the days we had a MacIntosh tube amp in the home HiFi set. That thing sounded glorious. No idea why that was, but it was replaced one day with an equally HiFi SAE amplifier and although good, it had lost the "beauty" sheen the MacIntosh had.

So.. why? 😬
hqdefault.jpg

Fractal Current-mode Class D amplifier inbound?

Back
Top Bottom