Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 8 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s been a lot of praise over the high gain and Class-A style amps, but I’ve been FLOORED by the Fender stuff in Beta 8. The Princeton AA964 has been so much fun to play. The touch sensitivity is absolutely incredible and there’s a “string clarity” and immediacy that really showcases the nuances of dynamic playing.

Outstanding work, Cliff.
Which of your cab IRs have you liked with that AA964?

Not sure if it's been updated yet or not (given that Cliff probably doesn't have the actual amp to compare) but I am finding myself really enjoying how the 5F8 Tweed (Keith Urban's amp) feels and sounds.

Not sure if it's been updated yet or not (given that Cliff probably doesn't have the actual amp to compare) but I am finding myself really enjoying how the 5F8 Tweed (Keith Urban's amp) feels and sounds.

It's in the OP (it's updated).

After playing on 16 Beeta for many hours I feel like the Fenders are more killerer. Some of the high gain lead sounds are more raw/meaner. If you are wanting to edit sdvanced parameters is there a universal way to get more of the 15.01 smoothness back? Dial back bias excursion and anything else?

There’s been a lot of praise over the high gain and Class-A style amps, but I’ve been FLOORED by the Fender stuff in Beta 8. The Princeton AA964 has been so much fun to play. The touch sensitivity is absolutely incredible and there’s a “string clarity” and immediacy that really showcases the nuances of dynamic playing.

Outstanding work, Cliff.
I must admit, I never really paid much attention to that model, but it really is wonderful. With my Duesenberg Semi-Hollow (Carl Carlton model) on the neck pickup, it is just sooooo alive. A Tone of Kings in front for shits and giggles works wonders too :D

Oh, yummy! U2 tone.
Could you share that preset, please?
Thanks! Yeah I'd be happy to, but I'm only using the Axe III for amps and cabs... I'm one of the weirdo's that runs a pedalboard into the Axe. I'll post the preset later today when I fire up the Axe, but the signal chain was:
Strat > Klone (set for clean boost) > DMM-TT set to .8th notes, lots of modulation and a low mix (10-15%) > Timeline tape delay set to 8th notes (mix about 30%) > RV-5 style modded reverb > stereo into Axe III DC30 models.

I must admit, I never really paid much attention to that model, but it really is wonderful. With my Duesenberg Semi-Hollow (Carl Carlton model) on the neck pickup, it is just sooooo alive. A Tone of Kings in front for shits and giggles works wonders too :D
A friend had a real '66 Princeton Reverb.

Fantastic amps, those. Wish I'd've had the $$$$ for that and his 2005 custom color 660/12 when he was selling them 10 years ago....

Along with the AB763 Deluxe Reverb, probably the best sounding amps Fender made....

A real Princeton Reverb is a great amp, and takes some pedals really well. I have one out right now. This modeled version is great head-to-head.

Last edited:
@skydog @Joe Bfstplk I originally tried the first on a silverface princeton, don't remember if it had Reverb, and it was almost certainly a reissue. I just remember, it has this delicious dynamic range that I attributed a bit to the amp in the room experience. But now I get the same with this firmware

Thanks! Yeah I'd be happy to, but I'm only using the Axe III for amps and cabs... I'm one of the weirdo's that runs a pedalboard into the Axe. I'll post the preset later today when I fire up the Axe, but the signal chain was:
Strat > Klone (set for clean boost) > DMM-TT set to .8th notes, lots of modulation and a low mix (10-15%) > Timeline tape delay set to 8th notes (mix about 30%) > RV-5 style modded reverb > stereo into Axe III DC30 models.
Ah ok. I see. Now amp and cab would already be a good base then to start from. So I need to find a booster inside and I need to put delay and reverb earlier in the chain before the amp block. I'm courious if I can nail it.

I would start with checking the Master Volume (in addition to the overall volume) as there seems to be some changes/variations in the MV taper (log15 v.s. authentic). My way of getting the sound I want from the Axe Fx III is to always check the "Headroom" VU in the authentic page. For amps designed to rely on pre-amp distortion I try to have some headroom in the Power Amp and for amps designed to get the distortion from the Power Amp I let it go into saturation. And as always; there are no rules and I try to use my ears instead of my eyes (i.e. I sometimes find "my" sound when the distortion come from both pre- and power amps). I also find the "Headroom" VU very useful when dialling in a "clean to mean" preset. By adjusting the different volumes on the Axe Fx III the "mean" distorted sound can be based on pre-amp, power-amp or a combination.

This seems to (or should) be common knowledge for Fractal-users but I somehow get the impression that the importance of the MV as a tone shaping tool is forgotten.
I kindly request the Forum participants to stick to the topic of the threads. When reading a thread on the Cygnus Beta xx FW I want to find tips and useful information (including user feedback and possible bugs) regarding the FW and not waste my time on reading about languages, other gear and off-topic items. This has been requested many times so: LISTEN UP CHUCKLEHEADS :)
And finally; I am Norwegian so please accept my sincere apologies if my humble attempts in expressing myself using a foreign language hurts someones feelings......;);).
Thank you,

I personally prefer the authentic MV tapper and like a little bit more power amp push also.

I did load 8 back in and the volumes where correct, midrange was back so that is good. I had three things going at the same time I had Fractal-Bot uploading. It's all good now thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom