Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I played it all day, pretty much everything except 5153100W RED sounds great. This one however sounds looser and muddier than before.(According to my older Presets) Maybe it sounds closer to original thing and I liked the fw15.01 version better.

I noticed this too. It doesn't feel as wet/liquid as before or the original. Sound like blocking distortion or something like that. The Blue Chanel is amazing in this FW.

When is the amp reset necessary to enjoy this new Cygnus FW to the fullest?

Has anyone happened to A/B if there is any difference between a reset and non-reset amp after the FW update?

When is the amp reset necessary to enjoy this new Cygnus FW to the fullest?

Has anyone happened to A/B if there is any difference between a reset and non-reset amp after the FW update?
to enjoy it "to the fullest", you should reset the amp, as that resets all parameters to the new defaults.

if you don't reset, typically any advanced parameters you have changed will stay at the old settings, and the underlying effect of those changes won't be default - since they are changed.

generally i don't need to update my amp blocks for any firmware updates. i just install the update and see what it sounds like. if it sounds good, i'm done. if it needs adjustment, i adjust. it's usually things like Level or Low and High end.

any firmware update that has amp updates will make changes to the amp block regardless if you reset or not. if it sounds good as is, then just play.

but to answer the question, to get the full default settings of the new firmware, you would reset the amp channel to get the full defaults set. but that's a recommendation and a choice to be made. i think majority of users could just play their presets as is after loading, and maybe have to adjust level and some basic EQ. the upgrades from the new modeling will be there either way.

Unfortunately the display makes no sense.

Clicking the selection box on the left of a line will show it's checked, but I can't tell it what parameters to leave alone and it won't let me select or enter a parameter. Drive is preselected and is the only one listed and since the others are undefined or invisible I'm not going to click on "Apply !":View attachment 78943
I tried setting the checkbox to see if that would allow me to select a parameter or enter one, but that didn't help.
View attachment 78944
I also got two core dumps so something's not working.
I'm seeing the same thing. How do you add, f ex, the amp block's output EQ? @AlGrenadine

I'll recheck the model but it should be accurate. If you read reviews of the amp the red channel is polarizing. The blue channel is universally liked, the red channel not so much.

I was under the impression that the reason people by the amp is the red channel. The metal guys like Gojira for example love it.

With the new firmware, I can actually hear a difference when switching power tubes, example USA IIC+ defaults to 6L6Gc, switching that to EL34 I perceived fuller mids, and in comparison the 6L6Gc sounds scooped...

Last time I played with power tube setting, I don't remember I could actually hear such differences....

You wanna talk about luggin' heavy amps around ...
Modeled after the Ampeg V4 Bass head... My 1972 AMPEG VT-22 AMP, (I Still have it) a 2x12 combo, weighed in at just Over 100 lbs (with the particular speakers I had in it) (Just under 100 lb stock).
Our other guitar player had one too.. His Ampeg VT-22 had SRO's in it...ONE of the Speaker Magnets in those SRO's alone, were backbreaking...I Had no idea what his amp actually weighed and didn't want to find out.
The word 'better use a forklift' comes to mind.

The VT-22 was AND STILL IS, as far as I'm concerned,... the loudest and (cleanest at very HIGH volume) amp ever made.... and did I mention, HEAVY!!!
My old band's bassist had a '70s Fender 300PS. Man, the transformers on that thing were the size of soccer balls. Probably 90 lbs. and it was just a head. Played it through a giant folded horn Sunn 2x15" cab....

That Brit 800 #34 and my Edge Strat?

I THINK this is what I had - not sure what verb settings as I didn't save the presets....
Edge Strat has a humbucker in the bridge...this is on pos 1 with the vol at about 7 and the tone down a notch.

Holy shit, dude, you've got that lick like, DOWN. If someone told me that was DI from the record, I'd believe it. That's like, maybe a couple dB of Presence different from the album....maybe...and most likely got added in during the mix/master. Damn!

Holy shit, dude, you've got that lick like, DOWN. If someone told me that was DI from the record, I'd believe it. That's like, maybe a couple dB of Presence different from the album....maybe...and most likely got added in during the mix/master. Damn!
Thanks. Always liked it, but never recorded it or played that tune live before. Was just flipping through some amps and for whatever reason that song came to mind so there it was. Listening back, yeah I hear the diff but honestly who would really notice right? Well, we do I guess.
And this was just with headphones on, so wasn't sure how it would translate to speakers.

I just LOVE this box...it's amazing. Makes me want to practice more as now the tones are so much easier to find...so no more excuses to not practice and LEARN, right?

Thanks. Always liked it, but never recorded it or played that tune live before. Was just flipping through some amps and for whatever reason that song came to mind so there it was. Listening back, yeah I hear the diff but honestly who would really notice right? Well, we do I guess.
And this was just with headphones on, so wasn't sure how it would translate to speakers.

I just LOVE this box...it's amazing. Makes me want to practice more as now the tones are so much easier to find...so no more excuses to not practice and LEARN, right?
I only noticed because I played the actual song to compare it out of curiosity. It's so damn close I thought we might have been getting punked!! :tearsofjoy:

I've spent a few hours with this so far, tweaking my old presets and writing some new ones. IMO, it's been worth whatever extra tweaking is involved. On my side of things, with the high gain stuff, depending on the amp I'd add a PEQ after the cab block to chop away some of the 3000-4000K, but it's practically not an issue anymore. All those focus just got shoved down to the lower mids, right where it belongs. On my 5153/Herbie dual amp preset, I removed it entirely!

It's like getting to walk without crutches!

My childhood buddies and I are recording all the covers we used to play in the 90's, with "Man In The Box" up first. Figures, the one time I don't record DI's for a song, but I'm VERY tempted to re-track all the guitars because the HBE model has all the gggrrrggggggg in the lower mids now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom