Wish Dynamic EQ

How would this be different from adding an envelope controller to parameters in an EQ block?

That's pretty much what Rex said above:

We already have that. Pull up a Filter block, and tie one or more of the parameters to Envelope or ADSR.

But it doesn't do what a DEQ does, because this way...

...the entire spectrum is affecting the filter regardless of whether the specific frequency we’re reducing is present. The point of a dynamic EQ is that is only cuts the selected frequency when that frequency rises above a certain threshold.

But it doesn't do what a DEQ does, because this way...
Ok. I'm understanding this a bit better. It's envelope controlling the gain on a band, with the envelope limited to being controlled by energy in the Q of the band -- is that correct?

If we had one more envelope controller we could do this for a two-band EQ setup now as the envelope controller has both a high and low cut setting on it. You'd just set those values around the knee(s) of your band. Right? Maybe?

Last edited:
Ok. I'm understanding this a bit better. It's envelope controlling the gain on a band, with the envelope limited to being controlled by energy in the Q of the band -- is that correct?
Yup.

If we had one more envelope controller we could do this for a two-band EQ setup now as the envelope controller has both a high and low cut setting on it. You'd just set those values around the knee(s) of your band. Right? Maybe?
Not quite. You typically want a dynamic EQ to be driven by the signal it’s being fed. But the Envelope Controller is driven by the signal at the input of the device, which can have a very different spectral content.

Not quite. You typically want a dynamic EQ to be driven by the signal it’s being fed. But the Envelope Controller is driven by the signal at the input of the device, which can have a very different spectral content.
Shhhh. You're ruining my attempt to get a second envelope controller. :)

I'm all for adding a second envelope controller, but for this purpose you'd probably be better just using the multicomp if it's only two bands.

Essentially, yes, though it's multiple 'bands'.

Here's an image of a typical DEQ; it'll probably make a lot more sense when you can see one.

f6-1.jpg

I'm all for adding a second envelope controller, but for this purpose you'd probably be better just using the multicomp if it's only two bands.

Essentially, yes, though it's multiple 'bands'.

Here's an image of a typical DEQ; it'll probably make a lot more sense when you can see one.

f6-1.jpg
I'll have to check Logic to see if it has one and play around with it there! I don't any Wavves plugins.

We have 4 envelope controllers.
Well, true... four channels of envelope controller... but not four simultaneous envelope controllers.
Ah, I should have read the entire thread.
Yea, with the high and low cut filters in the envelope now, I'd love to have an envelope that responds to just low frequency energy and another for high frequency energy.

You sort of already have that with the EQ in the amp block.

You can attach envelope or adsr modifiers to each of the bands..

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom