Anyone sell all their tube amps?

I shipped my Archon. Traded my TC50 for some other gear to the only other musician in my little town that has the income to afford decent stuff. Small towns are a very hard sell when nobody has the budget for the kind of stuff I have.

I guess I’m the backwards guy. I’ve actually added a few. I love the AFX III, and have been gigging various Fractal units since 2011, and haven’t gigged an amp since that time. Still, I enjoy them at home and find the fast setting of tones when jamming inspirational. I translate some of this to my gig patches, as well. So when my Axe Fx is secured in the trailer, I still have avenues to jam or tone chase.

I‘ve never considered amps and the Axe Fx to be mutually exclusive. Likely the best amp collection around is at Cliff’s house, so I know I’m not alone. If I could only keep one, it would be the Axe Fx, but I don’t have to choose. So I enjoy both.

After years of back and forth, I am finally ready to. I just traded my Kemper for a second Axe III, and between my Adams and a CLR I don't see a need to hang onto the amps any longer. They just take up space and have far less flexibility.

I actually think I’m ready to sell my amps now. Where/how do you guys sell yours? I have sold loads of guitars over the years on eBay but don’t really fancy that for amps. For a start, I don’t have any of the packaging because it just never struck me when I got them that I may want to sell them in the future.

have sold 2 of 3 tube amps, the last one is a handcrafted boutique amp from a small Bvairian company and I love to play this amp sometimes. But the main time I play the III. For the tube amp I use a FX8 and still happy with this and the 2x12 cab. Will buy a FM3 if its available in Europe and then i am finished...

I have a Krank rev120 and a VHT tube power amp that I kept. Never use them anymore though.

I actually think I’m ready to sell my amps now. Where/how do you guys sell yours? I have sold loads of guitars over the years on eBay but don’t really fancy that for amps. For a start, I don’t have any of the packaging because it just never struck me when I got them that I may want to sell them in the future.
I've used reverb quite a bit and had great experiences both selling and buying. I haven't messed with ebay in many years. As far as packaging goes, I have a local UPS store do all the packaging for me. It costs a bit more, but the insurance is hassle free when they are responsible for the packaging and it's been worth it to me.

After years of back and forth, I am finally ready to. I just traded my Kemper for a second Axe III, and between my Adams and a CLR I don't see a need to hang onto the amps any longer. They just take up space and have far less flexibility.

I have the Adams and a CLR as well. It's great, wondering if a friedman or some other 'cab like' frfr would be good to compliment the CLR.

I've shipped a few tube amps over the years. Never again LOL. For most stuff under $1500 I have had pretty good luck with Facebook Marketplace. Granted I am smack dab in the middle of the SF Bay Area so that likely helps.

Reactions: MNG
I have the Adams and a CLR as well. It's great, wondering if a friedman or some other 'cab like' frfr would be good to compliment the CLR.
I went from 2 CLRs to a Matrix GT1000FX 2U w/ a 2x12 loaded with EVM12Ls, then to the Adam 2.1 setup and now got 1 CLR back for the 2nd Axe III (my son is always using the setup with the Adams). I definitely preferred the sound with 2 CLRs over 1, but don't really need 2 for noodling in the living room. I don't have any experience with Freidman or Xitone, but if you're wanting that extra bit of sound I would try and snag a used CLR to add to your existing one. Even being able to set the FF/Tilt/BL switches different between the 2 when stacking them lets you "sculpt" the tone a bit more than you can with the one IMO..

Reactions: J.C
I've shipped a few tube amps over the years. Never again LOL. For most stuff under $1500 I have had pretty good luck with Facebook Marketplace. Granted I am smack dab in the middle of the SF Bay Area so that likely helps.
Man I've shipped probably 10 tube amps, an XL+, CLR and several guitars in the last 4-5 years, and the only problem I had was with the CLR getting beat to shit by UPS. I'd gladly deal with that over inviting craigslist into my home.

Man I've shipped probably 10 tube amps, an XL+, CLR and several guitars in the last 4-5 years, and the only problem I had was with the CLR getting beat to shit by UPS. I'd gladly deal with that over inviting craigslist into my home.

Some people seem to have better luck with shipping amplifiers. I usually just meet whomever at the local police station. Anyone who has a problem meeting there is not someone to do business with lol.

My last one is up for sale. I've owned Engls, Diezels, Camerons, Framus, VHT, Marshalls, just about everything Mesa's made, and a whole bunch more. Every single time I've tried modelling gear, I've been let down, since it sounded fake and plastic to me. I've got to hand it to Cliff and the guys at FAS. They actually delivered. I love my AxeFX3

It comes down to one question: what inspires you to PLAY MORE GUITAR? I realized that I was writing and playing the most guitar when I had the III. I think it comes down to convenience, which is a huge factor for me personally. I live in a small apartment, so unpacking and hooking up an amp, load box (headphones) and pedal board with a dozen cables just became a deterrent to be honest.
I generally only had 1 amp at a time - the last being a Hughes and Kettner GM36 which was awesome - but, I really wanted to get what I thought was more control of my sound. I went with the AX8 and was blown away. Sound was great, I played more guitar than I ever had in a long time because it just sounded fantastic to me. Playing live - my FoH sound never changed so I never had to even worry about it. It was super easy to load in and out too. Literally no negatives. Then I got the III (somewhat recently) and I've been playing even more than I did before - It makes me genuinely happy to sit and play guitar for hours and have everything right there - all the pedals, amps, speakers...I mean, you guys know but I guess I just wanted to comment on how this equipment has really, sincerely, improved my musical life and hell, even probably made me a better guitar player because of playing so much more. Jury is still out on that though. lol

I've used reverb quite a bit and had great experiences both selling and buying. I haven't messed with ebay in many years. As far as packaging goes, I have a local UPS store do all the packaging for me. It costs a bit more, but the insurance is hassle free when they are responsible for the packaging and it's been worth it to me.
I used Reverb for the first time when I wanted the III - sold everything in 24-48 hours and all good experiences with the buyers. Agree on the packaging if one is concerned about packing it themselves. And the insurance is nice too because of that.

My main gigging amp for years was a Peavey JSX that sounds awesome. Hasn't been turned on in 5 years....... Keep mostly for nostalgia. Needs to go to a new home. I wonder what it would be valued at....? I fear not much.... LOL...

I still enjoy my amp! I use it with the Waza to FOH when playing live and it sounds amazing! The III still sounds great as well so it's nice to have both.

Re: packaging, if you are worried about it you can pay fedex/ups/etc to pack your amp for you. If it's a common amp, your local dealer may still have the shipping materials.

I only shipped one amp (canada to texas) and it arrived with a minor malfunction. Sent it using original packaging. Glad the rest has been local deals. Im also not nervous about driving a few hours to make a deal happen.

Re: cl/kijiji, make the deal at a public area. I believe a lot of police stations have a designated space now.

Reactions: MNG
Back
Top Bottom