Anyone sell all their tube amps?

I have my lil dawg d-lux and Friedman Small Box. The Small Box has a line in that allows me to pipe my Fractal pre amps into a real power amp and speaker.

Honestly, After the latest Fractal releases I'm not sure I will use the Friedman much anymore. The D-lux still gives me that two channel interaction. I also really love my Speed Shop custom Weber speaker.

I still have 2, basically because I'm trying to figure out my best options for selling them. I’ll probably end up bringing them to CME. I’ve sold just about all of my pedals, I think there are 4 left. And I have a box full of patch cables that I’ll probably never use again. I tried to give some preamp tubes to a buddy because they won’t get used by me.

Kept my 5153, Mark IV and Dual Rec. Those are my babies. Love to do 4cm with the AxeFX with them.

In a few years, I will buy tube amps. Just for decoration :)

The gentle warm lights of tubes in the corner of the dimly lighted living room will just invite me into a sweet nostalgia :)

I really don't use mine much anymore but I do love a Marshall 2203 & 2204 circuit. I still have my 4010 and 2203x and power them ononce in a while just to remind me what they are. When I do that, I realize that Fractal has nailed that architecture and adds so much more to the gigging situation.

With that said, I do look forward to getting outdoors with the 2203x once a year when the band just wants to do something for us. It's like taking out an old classic muscle car and showing it off 😋

yup. vh4s, roadster, stiletto, cabs. all gone about a year after i got the Ultra way back when.

I need to but I'm not about to do Reverb or eBay again especially for large heavy and fragile item like an amp so either local Music go Round or (shutter) Craig's list or give a few to a local church's or charities along with a few not so great guitars, two rack units, and boxes of stomper's (I'm getting close to my sale by date and really need to downsize). I ordered and bought FX III, before I knew whether it would be good, so-so, or bad (of course I now think "where has it been all my life - you sexy thing") to be my "one ring to rule them all" in my old age, i.e., to simplify and de-clutter.

So I’m currently in process of ditching my amps. Everyone that knows me will tell you that this is a monumental event considering that I’ve been a die hard tube amp and pedalboard guy for over 30 years. I’m embracing the change and looking forward to a new future!!! :cool:

No way will I ever sell my old tube rig. It's based around a Marshall JMP-1 and a Mesa fifty/fifty. I do still give the rig the odd gig .... it sounds good and it's been ultra reliable for 30 years (bloody hell!!). I'd never get a sale price that would reflect the residual quality of the JMP-1 and Mesa so I'm just going to keep them and see which of us dies first. Sentimentality plays it's part yes ..... but they do sound good and fire up quickly and easily too.

My AxeFX II/MFC rig is great .... I've also a Kemper which might well be good if I ever get the time to really sit down with it .... the FM3/FC-6 combo might well be on my radar now as I want to seriously reduce my load for gigging ...... but I can't help but wonder what state these rigs would be like in 30 years time with the same amount of work and travel thrown at them as the JMP-1/Mesa have had.

but I can't help but wonder what state these rigs would be like in 30 years time with the same amount of work and travel thrown at them as the JMP-1/Mesa have had.

They’re modern solid state devices which are far more robust at handling abuse, wear and tear. We still have fighter aircraft and rockets using the old solid state technology and going strong. Modern SS technology is light years beyond that. There’s coming a day when analog will be eradicated for obvious reasons. Model A’s and T’s aren’t roaming the earth anymore.

It's a different thing. If you are all in on Fractal it may be a good idea to store or sell them. You will drive yourself nuts chasing tone if you don't cut one out of the equation. Either that or accept they are different things. I really enjoy my tube amps and they are their own thing, but most often I enjoy the Axe FX because the dynamics and volume are easier to tame with great tone.

Back
Top Bottom