Mayer through the III

Sounds like and amp in the room to me.

BUT he says it doesn't respond to guitar volume....? hmm.

Last edited:
John is a killer musician. Cool to see someone with his background, at his level, not just writing off new(er) technology.

some people seems to forget that everyone has their own tastes,im not really missing out great music or playing from that guy,like i said i never like his music,if you like his playing and music enjoy.
You said you "never liked that guy", nothing about a different taste in music. But you're right, to each their own

Like him or not, great to hear someone finally play with some "tone" instead of all the Extreme Metal and drop tuning demo's.
Of course we've had some fine demo's from mark , bishop , marco

Agreed, not that they aren't out there, as there are some really great AxeFX tones that aren't metal (as you've pointed out), but it certainly seems that there are disproportionately more metal users. Not a dig by any means, I'm definitely a fan of many artists who do this, such as Periphery. I've definitely seen a lot of "they work well for metal, but for REAL tone..." type of comments before, but to me it really works across the board.

I've actually had more success getting great tone that's not metal on my XL+. Throw a strat or bright humbucker in front of the FAS Wreck into your choice of greenback , gain to taste... and it's downright dreamy, responds excellently to volume fluctuation and pick attack. Shiver Clean or ODS Clean into a V30 cab, push the input just to breakup with a hard strum, sounds sick. roll the tone knob down for a jazzy sound. add some deep space reverb and a big delay with some high cut and ethereal chord lines are just popping.

Short version... yes the AxeFX can do awesome "not metal" and John Mayer using it adds some street cred to it for other genres.

Back
Top Bottom