Mayer through the III

One more Mayer video. This time with another favorite of mine: Joe Russo’s Almost Dead.

The interesting thing, to me, about that video is it’s not a particular great rendition of Althea — at least the way Mayer is playing it there it’s kind of rushed and too on beat, not syncopated enough. This was at the beginning of his Dead work so he was still just getting into it all. Contrast that with an Althea from the 2019 tour and you’ll see how much better he as at playing it the way Jerry did. So much better. Still, the solo’ing in that JRAD clip is SO good.

I picked up Room For Squares back in 2001 when that came out and it's still my favorite Mayer album to this day. I went to music school in Atlanta back in the late 90s when John and Clay Cook were touring that scene as the Lo-Fi Masters, wish I would've seen them play together! Great songwriter and player, and fantastic to see him using the Axe-Fx III!

I picked up Room For Squares back in 2001 when that came out and it's still my favorite Mayer album to this day. I went to music school in Atlanta back in the late 90s when John and Clay Cook were touring that scene as the Lo-Fi Masters, wish I would've seen them play together! Great songwriter and player, and fantastic to see him using the Axe-Fx III!
That’s my favorite, too... but Continuum is great and Heavier Things is also nice.

I like the Trio stuff because it showcases his sense of the groove and that he is totally fine in a stripped down approach.

My first 3 thoughts upon watching the first video:
1) JM is a MONSTER player who has forgotten more than I know. Dude just freaking knows his way around the guitar.
2) Cool to see an artist of his level leave his ego at the door and let us all be flies on the wall while he just jams and practices - while thinking outloud for our benefit.
3) Wonder how quickly Cliff said (upon hearing JM's comments regarding amp modeling).... "hold my beer".

Prediction 1: Axe-III Firmware Version 9.00 to be released very soon.
Prediction 2: New JM video to follow soon after said release.

Technically, he's a good guitarist, but I just don't like blues, soul, blues rock and the like, so it makes no difference to me what he uses.

A lot of the tone is coming from his fingers and his attack. The dude has big strong hands and he has a very BB King style vibrato. If anyone else played the same unit with the same preset and guitar it probably wouldn’t sound like that.

You know the guy knew he acted like a spoiled kid and a d**k alot. He admits it and supposedly actually went to therapy.

But to hate or not acknowledge that the guy is a "killer" guitar player is just plain jealous envy. I am NOT saying anyone in this thread has but years ago we had a few who did.
What a joke. If you are a guitar player of any stature then you have to know the guy is really talented.

Like a lot of "pop" artists, there are definitely some better songs in his catalogue if you dig beyond just what is on the radio and released as singles.

I didn't think much when I first heard him on the radio, but once I actually listened to the albums I found that he's a lot more than just a pop performer, he's a great guitarist, singer, and has some really nice songs.

Anyway, cool little jam, thanks for sharing!

Like a lot of "pop" artists, there are definitely some better songs in his catalogue if you dig beyond just what is on the radio and released as singles.

I didn't think much when I first heard him on the radio, but once I actually listened to the albums I found that he's a lot more than just a pop performer, he's a great guitarist, singer, and has some really nice songs.
Same for me. I heard one of his live albums back about '03 or something and was expecting to really dislike it. But I was surprised especially by the 2nd disc that had some really good jams. Gained a new respect for his playing. So I wasn't as surprised as many people when rumors of him playing w/ the Dead surfaced.

Back
Top Bottom