Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.00 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW. I will just reaffirm what everyone else is saying. THIS RELEASE TOTALLY ROCKS! So glad I bought the III. My recto patch has never sounded better (and it was pretty awesome prior to).

Why don't you start another thread. You're the only one having problems and I've gone through all the amps and they sound great.

Tommy isn't the only one. See post 74 and 99. If you say you've gone through all the amps and they sound great I am sure they do, but for some reason the Fenders took a big nose dive for Tommy and I. We do seem to be the only ones who had these issues with the Fenders. I use a vintage Stratocaster and set my Fenders clean like Eric Johnson. I also always make sure nothing is distorting on the input or output. I tried reseting the amp blocks and that didn't help. I tried about 8 different cabs so it wasn't the cabs. So I went back to 4.03, and re-installed the same presets from the backup I'd made before updating, and the same presets sound good again. Is it possible for something to go wrong when you install new firmware? If so, I'm willing to try it again.

Good ears. That crispy/crunchy is what real amps don't do. It bugged me for years. Real amps go "bong" not "bzzzzz". If you look at the waveform out of a cathode follower it's almost a triangle wave whereas the previous firmware was halfway between a triangle and square. I finally figured out what makes that triangle wave.
Could this potentially be the “digital sound” so many people reference previously?

I took our other AXE III that was running older firmware, loaded the preset and also played with the factory fender modeled presets. All were sounding great. I upgraded that AXE FX III and they all sound boomy, way too much bass. I think it has something to do with the master volume. 2 ways to work around it is turn all the bass down and adjust level, or cut master volume to 5 and eq and set level from there.

What is the setting in the input drive and bass w the master on 10
IMO Fenders will fart out pretty quick
With Bass Drive and master cranked

Really enjoying the updates.

Adding a recto block to the Petrucci rig preset sounds so dang good (I heard JP doubled the IIC rhythm tracks with Recto tracks on the Awake album, so I had to try it.)

Sounds awesome through a SD Powerstage into a real CAB (at least the one marshall type preset i checked)

I normally wait for the final release but with all of the positive chatter I could not wait. - I was glad I checked it out.

I have been carefully tweaking my ~25 presets I use for my cover band as each recent update has come out . I use a variety of amp/cab combos for these patches.

After going through them with 5.00 beta all I can say is WOW ! - Can't wait for rehearsal tomorrow night. ( we will also be using the AFX3 to do vocal FX for the first time as well :) )

• The heavier/chunkier patches make me want to dig in more and the tone/feel is noticeably improved.
  • The patches where I use the Volume knob on my guitar have a more noticeable response/sensitivity as well

As for cleans/Fender sound my go to is the factory patch EJ Clean ( been a fav since the AxeFXII XL days) - that sound was the first one I tried when I first got my AxeFx3 and played it for quite a while. With FW 5.0 it is Glorious !

Cliff - thanks again for you TIRELESS efforts to achieve tonal bliss - It just keeps getting better and better

Tommy isn't the only one. See post 74 and 99. If you say you've gone through all the amps and they sound great I am sure they do, but for some reason the Fenders took a big nose dive for Tommy and I. We do seem to be the only ones who had these issues with the Fenders. I use a vintage Stratocaster and set my Fenders clean like Eric Johnson. I also always make sure nothing is distorting on the input or output. I tried reseting the amp blocks and that didn't help. I tried about 8 different cabs so it wasn't the cabs. So I went back to 4.03, and re-installed the same presets from the backup I'd made before updating, and the same presets sound good again. Is it possible for something to go wrong when you install new firmware? If so, I'm willing to try it again.

I have personally experienced, and read from other forum members in the earlier days of the Axe II, where a preset just became corrupted.

My suggestion is to start with an empty grid preset, saved. And then reconstruct the preset, using the same stuff you were using. If you stay in the same preset slot, and "try different cabs" or "reset the amp" this might still not rectify your issue. So, try to start over and rebuild the funky ones, and see what happens.

Alternatively, you could go to a functioning preset, and then change the amp in that preset to the model you are having difficulties with and see whether that model appears to work. If it does, that would further suggest that some of your presets were corrupted somehow.

This is where 10 computer geeks tell me it's impossible: Proceed.

I normally wait for the final release but with all of the positive chatter I could not wait. - I was glad I checked it out.

I have been carefully tweaking my ~25 presets I use for my cover band as each recent update has come out . I use a variety of amp/cab combos for these patches.

After going through them with 5.00 beta all I can say is WOW ! - Can't wait for rehearsal tomorrow night. ( we will also be using the AFX3 to do vocal FX for the first time as well :) )

• The heavier/chunkier patches make me want to dig in more and the tone/feel is noticeably improved.
  • The patches where I use the Volume knob on my guitar have a more noticeable response/sensitivity as well

As for cleans/Fender sound my go to is the factory patch EJ Clean ( been a fav since the AxeFXII XL days) - that sound was the first one I tried when I first got my AxeFx3 and played it for quite a while. With FW 5.0 it is Glorious !

Cliff - thanks again for you TIRELESS efforts to achieve tonal bliss - It just keeps getting better and better
Agreed 100% . The sensitivity of amps like the Suhr Badgers using guitar volume knob from clean to roaring is quite amazing.

On the Fender folks: Have you tried resetting system parameters? (Yek had suggested this earlier.) It has solved very many problems for me in the past (not so much lately.)

OK. I downloaded and installed Beta 5.0
It's not easy to come here and post a comment , because SO many of you here love your III , and because

I CAN'T STOP PLAYING !!!!
I KNOW IT'S BEEN SAID BEFORE , BUT ALLOW ME TO SAY IT - AGAIN --

********************HOLY FkN SH@T B@LLZ !!!!****************** " This sounds amazing. Like get the tissues - amazing."

@FractalAudio , you better rename this FW just ( 5.0 ) I may never be able to update again. I'm glad I installed this Beta in case it somehow disappears. Right now , you'd have to pry it from my cold , dead hands ( with skinless , sore fingertips ) - to get it back.
Thick , full , clear , rich , responsive, round, + 10 more words - to describe perfectly AWESOME amps sounds. GREAT WORK.
.... back to playing guitar !!

I have personally experienced, and read from other forum members in the earlier days of the Axe II, where a preset just became corrupted.

My suggestion is to start with an empty grid preset, saved. And then reconstruct the preset, using the same stuff you were using. If you stay in the same preset slot, and "try different cabs" or "reset the amp" this might still not rectify your issue. So, try to start over and rebuild the funky ones, and see what happens.

Alternatively, you could go to a functioning preset, and then change the amp in that preset to the model you are having difficulties with and see whether that model appears to work. If it does, that would further suggest that some of your presets were corrupted somehow.

This is where 10 computer geeks tell me it's impossible: Proceed.
Presets can go haywire.

What the 10 people are saying is that reloading firmware technically shouldn’t change anything.

I took our other AXE III that was running older firmware, loaded the preset and also played with the factory fender modeled presets. All were sounding great. I upgraded that AXE FX III and they all sound boomy, way too much bass. I think it has something to do with the master volume. 2 ways to work around it is turn all the bass down and adjust level, or cut master volume to 5 and eq and set level from there.
I'm away from my unit (day job and all that) but I'll check this tonight. I use mainly Fenders right now. Thanks for being pedantic about following the steps and posting the preset. That eliminates a bunch of possibilities!

I upgraded that AXE FX III and they all sound boomy, way too much bass

Are you using the Fender "magic 6" settings ?

Volume = 6
Treble = 6
Middle = 3
Bass = 2

If you're not, you should at least try them. Back in the day I owned 2 Princetons ( Blackface & Silverface ), 2 Bassmans ( original Blackface and Silverface 100 ), as well as a Silverface Deluxe and Twin ....

They ALL pretty much sounded terrible until I started dialing them this way ! If you're not sure what they are look for @2112 5-minute tone YouTube vids. He's got one that specifically covers dialing the Fender models !

Last edited:
Tracked solos, fills, layered additional rhythm parts and re-did a few parts for 3 songs for a project yesterday on FW 4.03.
The client is a really good friend, so I put a lot of work into it and I was ready to send it to him.
But after playing with 5.0 today, I simply couldn't resist re-amping most of them.
Small tweaks but definitely sounds better.
I love, love, love the tones I'm getting and the way FW 5.0 Beta sounds.
I've truly never had a better sounding rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom