Legacy Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy DREAMRIGS 1000+TonePack for AX8 and Axe-FX Mark II/XL/XL+

Third party presets or preset packs for sale for legacy Fractal Audio products.
Bought the pack and finally having a chance to go through. No 'Big Hair' amp, which is a shame as that's my cover band era.

What's the nearest fit, please?

I got through the clean amps, and I am very impressed! Of course they aren't all winners and clean tones aren't necessarily as difficult as high gains to dial in, but the combo of the amps and cabs dialed in is VERY helpful. I can hear some amps which are sparkly, some are scooped, some are fat, some are boxy. The included notes are helpful and I dumped the rig list into Google Drive to add my own notes and access remotely.

You've done a really good job using factory cabs, mixing cabs, and using high/low cuts to get some great tones. I never have the patience to do that and instead have spent a LOT of money on aftermarket cabs so I don't have to mess around with all that. But I'm looking forward to learning more about how to dial everything in.

One thing I notice is that you have more aggressive cuts in the high/low of the cab block, which is useful. I have done a little A/B of your cabs against my favorite IR's and it's a lot closer than I expected. That's a good argument for really learning the factory cabs, and maybe with these presets I would have been a lot less inclined to spend money on aftermarket impulses.

I've only dug through a few of the high gain presets but so far I haven't found many I liked. A lot of them are really aggressive, way more gain than I'd use, aggressive noise gate too. But my favorite high gain amps are the BE's and Atomica so I've been happy with the first set.

As someone who primarily uses clean tones, I have the opposite opinion ;)

Same here :). A good usable clean tone is not always easy to set up. A clean, lifeless tone typically is. BTW, I use both clean and dirty so I can appreciate the challenges with each side of the spectrum.

For me the differences in IR's are a lot bigger with gain than with clean...flipping through the amps, probably half the clean tones were good, a dozen were great. Flipping through the higher gain, you hear all the weird filters and EQ spikes and dips of the impulses.

The low gain is tricky though, that's where amps can sound either dead or magical. I like my cleans right on the edge, where you can push them and the amp barks a bit, or back off and it's nice and clean.

Oh, I have to say the new 2204 amp is just outstanding. It cleans up nicely at low gain without sounding choked, a nice bit of a scooped sound to it, but also sounds great with the gain up to crunch levels. My favorite "do it all" preset I made was the 2204 for clean to crunch and BE for high gain.

Eff! I forgot that the sale was ending last night. I was waiting to get back from vacation to pull the trigger on this. Any chance it'll go on sale again soon? Not that I'm a cheap ass, but I just got back from a vacation that emptied the wallet.

For me the differences in IR's are a lot bigger with gain than with clean...flipping through the amps, probably half the clean tones were good, a dozen were great. Flipping through the higher gain, you hear all the weird filters and EQ spikes and dips of the impulses.

The low gain is tricky though, that's where amps can sound either dead or magical. I like my cleans right on the edge, where you can push them and the amp barks a bit, or back off and it's nice and clean.

Oh, I have to say the new 2204 amp is just outstanding. It cleans up nicely at low gain without sounding choked, a nice bit of a scooped sound to it, but also sounds great with the gain up to crunch levels. My favorite "do it all" preset I made was the 2204 for clean to crunch and BE for high gain.

Apologies for my ignorance, but what model is the 2204?

Hey Austinbuddy! I purchased your pack and it sounds great. I'm not sure if this has been answered already, I searched but couldn't find anything. I use a wah with a spring so my off position is the heal. It is very easy to change this in each of your patches by changing the off position to 5% instead of 95%. Is it possible to do this globally? Or do I need to go into each preset and make this change to suit my wah setup?

You can do that using the batch setter in fractool. Or use the "Macro Recorder" app, like I do

Hey Austinbuddy! I purchased your pack and it sounds great. I'm not sure if this has been answered already, I searched but couldn't find anything. I use a wah with a spring so my off position is the heal. It is very easy to change this in each of your patches by changing the off position to 5% instead of 95%. Is it possible to do this globally? Or do I need to go into each preset and make this change to suit my wah setup?

Hi Dean:

I'm not sure Fractool can do that (think not, Alex may want to weigh in here) - never tried it for that. I thought FRacTool could not batch change controller modifiers (like Exp pedals?) globally?

Maybe next time I do such presets, I will leave the Wahs off period and not have a auto-setting, and people can turn it on their preferred way.... Some people like toe down (like real wahs, plus harder to jostle on stage if no spring loaded pedal and accidentally turn it on), while others prefer spring loaded pedals and toe up! Can't please everyone unfortunately. But you certainly can easily fix this in the presets you isolate for your Dream Rigs -- just change the controller Auto-engage value from 95% to 5% in lower right side of that screen and save preset -- voila.

I've never used a Macro Recorder so can't advise there but I trust Fremen totally - worth checking out as another option.

I've never used a Macro Recorder so can't advise there but I trust Fremen totally - worth checking out as another option.

Well, time to share a little trade secret I guess ;) It's not my thread, and I also sell presets for a living, but I consider Buddy as a friend, not a competitor :)

So, this video is showing how the Macro Recorder works, with two tweaks, the second one stupid on purpose ;) I programmed it to modify 14 presets but I stopped the demonstration around the 2 minutes mark. While the Macro is running, you can't do anything with your computer. But you can pause/resume it or stop it anytime. At some point while I was working on 465 presets (Amp Packs) for the Axe-Fx III, I had it running for more than 12 hours (I had more than 12 interventions on each preset at some point, and some were quite lengthy, in the scene controllers). I used it for everything : scenes renaming, channel selection of various blocks through the different scenes, tweaks to parameters and controllers etc etc - all in one pass

EDIT : for the AX8, you need to record the Macro for a full bank of 8 presets, hit next bank, select the first preset, then stop recording. When you'll hit "play" it will start the tweaks on the first preset up to the last and go to the next bank/first preset. Specify the number of time you want it repeated according to the number of banks you want tweaked.

Last edited:
Maybe it's the naked 1000 pack then. Either way, is there one in any AB preset packs for the AX8? If so, where? Thanks.

Hi Dean:

I'm not sure Fractool can do that (think not, Alex may want to weigh in here) - never tried it for that. I thought FRacTool could not batch change controller modifiers (like Exp pedals?) globally?

Maybe next time I do such presets, I will leave the Wahs off period and not have a auto-setting, and people can turn it on their preferred way.... Some people like toe down (like real wahs, plus harder to jostle on stage if no spring loaded pedal and accidentally turn it on), while others prefer spring loaded pedals and toe up! Can't please everyone unfortunately. But you certainly can easily fix this in the presets you isolate for your Dream Rigs -- just change the controller Auto-engage value from 95% to 5% in lower right side of that screen and save preset -- voila.

Thanks! Fremen replied also and I'll be sure to check out the macro options. Interesting for sure. In the meantime I have been auditioning your tones and as I find one that I like I have been copying it into a new slot then tweaking it to suit as well as fixing the wah to suit. I guess this is the general idea of your pack anyway. Once again, thanks for a great product, highly recommended!

Back
Top Bottom