Any FC release time info ?

Perhaps they could be built to order, something like $100 for the small housing, $200 for large etc and $25 per switch, with a given housing size able to accommodate up to a fixed number of switches.

You want a large housing and $18 switches, you got it. You want the smallest size and just need 4 switches ? No problem

Semi-custom/modular keeps everyone’s needs and budgets happy

It’s a cool concept but creating custom foot switches doesn’t really work in a assembly line environment
Punching out f6 and 12 is a lot faster than custom order
Plus then what if someone cancels and order and others don’t want
FC24 your stuck with them in stock

josephyballew said:
Everyone has their wants on a foot controller.

I think that is precisely why they made the FC-6 and FC-12 with daisy-chaining.

The whole idea is that, if you want small, you have small: FC-6 has only three buttons across the bottom row. If you use the top row for Program Up, Program Down, and Tap Tempo, it's really only 3 switches.

Then you have medium-sized: FC-12 has enough room for 6 scenes on the bottom row (which is always where most players put your most-important switches for live-use). Then another 6 across the top row, which provides lots of indicators for customizing the scenes.

Then you have medium-to-large via daisy-chaining: FC-12 plus FC-6.

Then you have large: FC-12 plus FC-12.

All bases are covered.

In fact, they're covered better than that, because each FC-unit has 2 additional jacks, each of which can support up to 2 outboard footswitches (a total of 4 outboard switches "running sidecar" to each FC-unit).

In the end,
- daisy-chaining; plus
- external-footswitches; plus
- two sizes
...gives us pretty amazing flexibility.

Against this, I can see only two objections:
(1.) "But buying multiple units and daisy-chaining them will cost more than having a single unit containing precisely my favorite number of switches."
(2.) "But I would rather have all the switches in a single housing, rather than 2+ daisy-chained units!"; and,

Now, both of these things may be true.

But I wonder how sure we are, that they are true.

Re: Item (1.): This is probably true, IF "precisely my favorite number of switches" happens to be the same for every player. But if not, then "a single unit containing precisely my favorite number of switches" means Fractal manufacturing a hundred FC-4s, a hundred FC-6s, a hundred FC-8s, a hundred FC-10s, a hundred FC-12s, etc., up to the FC-32 ...and getting "economies of scale" on none of them. By contrast, if they can make a production run of a thousand FC-6s and a thousand FC-12s, I suspect each will cost a lot less per unit because the fixed costs of a production run are significant and are divided amongst identical units manufactured in that run.

So maybe, in the end, it's a wash: The cost to you of purchasing an FC-18 might end up being the same as the cost of an FC-12 plus an FC-6. (Within some negligible margin.)

Re: Item (2.): Don't most players have a pedalboard consisting of more than just their MIDI footcontroller? I can see why it might be a hardship to change from having ONLY an MFC-101 in a perfectly-sized case, to having to arrange two FC-12s on a pedalboard and run the daisy-chaining wire between them. But if you currently have an MFC-101, an Expression Pedal, and maybe one other stompbox, I don't see how it makes things worse to replace the MFC-101 with two FC-12s. Yes, you have to run one extra cable, to daisy chain them. But in return you get the ability to position the two units any way you choose.

Last edited:
I think that is precisely why they made the FC-6 and FC-12 with daisy-chaining.

The whole idea is that, if you want small, you have small: FC-6 has only three buttons across the bottom row. If you use the top row for Program Up, Program Down, and Tap Tempo, it's really only 3 switches.

Then you have medium-sized: FC-12 has enough room for 6 scenes on the bottom row (which is always where most players put your most-important switches for live-use). Then another 6 across the top row, which provides lots of indicators for customizing the scenes.

Then you have medium-to-large via daisy-chaining: FC-12 plus FC-6.

Then you have large: FC-12 plus FC-12.

All bases are covered.

In fact, they're covered better than that, because each FC-unit has 2 additional jacks, each of which can support up to 4 outboard footswitches.

In the end,
- daisy-chaining; plus
- external-footswitches; plus
- two sizes
...gives us pretty amazing flexibility.

Against this, I can see only two objections:
(1.) "But buying multiple units and daisy-chaining them will cost more than having a single unit containing precisely my favorite number of switches."
(2.) "But I would rather have all the switches in a single housing, rather than 2+ daisy-chained units!"; and,

Now, both of these things may be true.

But I wonder how sure we are, that they are true.

Re: Item (1.): This is probably true, IF "precisely my favorite number of switches" happens to be the same for every player. But if not, then "a single unit containing precisely my favorite number of switches" means Fractal manufacturing a hundred FC-4s, a hundred FC-6s, a hundred FC-8s, a hundred FC-10s, a hundred FC-12s, etc., up to the FC-32 ...and getting "economies of scale" on none of them. By contrast, if they can make a production run of a thousand FC-6s and a thousand FC-12s, I suspect each will cost a lot less per unit because the fixed costs of a production run are significant and are divided amongst identical units manufactured in that run.

So maybe, in the end, it's a wash: The cost to you of purchasing an FC-18 might end up being the same as the cost of an FC-12 plus an FC-6. (Within some negligible margin.)

Re: Item (2.): Don't most players have a pedalboard consisting of more than just their MIDI footcontroller? I can see why it might be a hardship to change from having ONLY an MFC-101 in a perfectly-sized case, to having to arrange two FC-12s on a pedalboard and run the daisy-chaining wire between them. But if you currently have an MFC-101, an Expression Pedal, and maybe one other stompbox, I don't see how it makes things worse to replace the MFC-101 with two FC-12s. Yes, you have to run one extra cable, to daisy chain them. But in return you get the ability to position the two units any way you choose.

LOVE this reply to the comments, perhaps second only to those proposing you wait until the unit is here before you determine what you can and can't do with it. I was actually one who initially thought an FC-18 would be the bomb. Since then, and while fighting with making everything fit in front of me (mic stand, power where needed, monitors, etc) the idea that two foot switches controlling the Axe FX might be a great thing, not a negative, has become apparent more than once! This is the same reason I don't use a midi switcher/expression pedal all-in-one. After parting with my preconceived notion that the new foot switches had to do what I do now, I actually think this is going to be a better overall option than what I originally wanted.

The only option I am requesting that is not currently offered is that they let me order one! Or better yet, two!

I looked through the midi setup section and cant find any option to toggle between two scenes. I really need this functionality for live use. I have some really short leads and need to switch really quickly between lead and rhythm. It is two quick for me to use two separate buttons. Is there any way to toggle between two scenes at this point. Please tell me if not yet, that this functionality will be added soon. I really likes the toggle feature in the AX8 between scene1 and scene8. At this point I cant use the AXE III live and will have to keep using my Helix.

I looked through the midi setup section and cant find any option to toggle between two scenes. I really need this functionality for live use. I have some really short leads and need to switch really quickly between lead and rhythm. It is two quick for me to use two separate buttons. Is there any way to toggle between two scenes at this point. Please tell me if not yet, that this functionality will be added soon. I really likes the toggle feature in the AX8 between scene1 and scene8. At this point I cant use the AXE III live and will have to keep using my Helix.
Program an IA to send one scene value for ON and the "alternate" value for OFF. However, since this thread is about the FCs, and we don't know what they can and can't do, it might be best to wait until we know (assuming your post is actually in reference to the FCs).

My biggest wish/hope is that layouts can be freely configured per preset, AX8 style. This has sort of been acknowledged by Cliff, but it wasn't clear whether it's actually going to be that way or whether he meant you could freely pick from the 12 total layouts - a very different scenario that feels limiting when you get into a lot of songs and presets w/ different blocks and routing options.

That way, being able to use multiple pages with one preset would work for different songs - but I don't want to have to change pages mid-song. Using the F-switches on the AX8 for changing presets/banks/etc is an excellent solution, but that's always between songs when you have a moment to focus. The III has so much power in each preset, the only way to take advantage of all of it is either having lots of buttons, or a way to page for multiple songs. I can't imagine any single song using more than 12 separate functions, whether fx, channels, or scenes; but in a mega-preset you could certainly have different combinations that would require many more than that. I run up against that sometimes on the AX8, but with more limited cpu I can only have so many blocks in the first place.

While my personal preference would also be one bigger pedal - an 18 or so would be approximately the same footprint as my AX8 - I can see some value in having two smaller ones side by side. I almost always just use my right foot though, and so stepping across to the left is awkward for me - (of course everyone else will have different preferences for this). Even buttons 1 & 5 on the AX8 feel strange for me to reach to. So I'd probably have the 12 directly in front of me, w/ the 6 angled and to my right - but then where would my Exp pedals go? Further to the right? All of this leads back to my original wish, then I could just use a 12 (or 18 ;-) in exactly the right position for me, with my pedal just to the right and in perfect position for my foot... which is essentially the setup I have now w/ the AX8.

I hate to put out a negative post , but I think the release of their new flagship Axe-III without the footcontroller available and not even a release date for the footcontroller is terrible and poor planning. To use the full capabilities of the Axe-III live, you need the Fractal new footcontroller that is not available and who knows when it might be available.

I hate to put out a negative post , but I think the release of their new flagship Axe-III without the footcontroller available and not even a release date for the footcontroller is terrible and poor planning. To use the full capabilities of the Axe-III live, you need the Fractal new footcontroller that is not available and who knows when it might be available.

You are not wrong. It’s a drag and it should be acknowledged.

I hate to put out a negative post , but I think the release of their new flagship Axe-III without the footcontroller available and not even a release date for the footcontroller is terrible and poor planning.
How much more upset would people be if they just sat on their inventory of Axe IIIs until the FC was ready?

I rather suspect that this was not their original plan. From Cliff's earlier comments, the footswitch is being built by an outside source to Cliff's specifications. So Cliff was probably trying to time things to come out at the same time but has run into delays getting his product from the manufacturer. Possibly getting samples that have issues and having the additional delay of rework.
So should he delay the shipping of the -III to coincide with the future release of the footswitch or ship what he has? I much prefer getting use to my III while I wait for the footswitch.
Yes, I would like the footswitch but I am very happy with my III.

I rather suspect that this was not their original plan. From Cliff's earlier comments, the footswitch is being built by an outside source to Cliff's specifications. So Cliff was probably trying to time things to come out at the same time but has run into delays getting his product from the manufacturer. Possibly getting samples that have issues and having the additional delay of rework.
So should he delay the shipping of the -III to coincide with the future release of the footswitch or ship what he has? I much prefer getting use to my III while I wait for the footswitch.
Yes, I would like the footswitch but I am very happy with my III.

So just say so...why all the secrecy?

I mean...how hard would it be to simply say, “Sorry guys and gals...there were some things that came up outside of our control (whatever they were) and it’s delayed things. We realize it’s a drag but we’re hoping to have things resolved by...xxx...in the meantime, here are some helpful resources/templates/whatever to help get your MFC-101 working with your Axe3 faster” or something?

Ya know... This repeating, broken record is really getting old.

You guys have already complained enough, I think.

Do you want the FCs now? Yes.

Did you want the FCs when the Axe Fx III was released? Yes.

So do I. So does pretty much everyone with an Axe Fx III or one inbound.

BUT...

It didn't happen for whatever reason.

The horse is dead and sufficiently beaten :)

Please be patient.

Ya know... This repeating, broken record is really getting old.

You guys have already complained enough, I think.

Do you want the FCs now? Yes.

Did you want the FCs when the Axe Fx III was released? Yes.

So do I. So does pretty much everyone with an Axe Fx III or one inbound.

BUT...

It didn't happen for whatever reason.

The horse is dead and sufficiently beaten :)

Please be patient.

Customers aren’t happy about this and how it’s been handled has soured or is starting to sour some users and potential users on the brand. Sure...one could say, “If you don’t like it, look elsewhere” or they could just be upfront about what’s going on, express some empathy for the frustration of their users and keep folks in the loop...or they can disengage and keep everyone in the dark and let the speculation mill run amok.

Fractal does a great job with the tech and updates, overall all customer support and service, etc., but launches could be more successful...it’s a legitimate criticism.

You are not wrong. It’s a drag and it should be acknowledged.

I am glad i didn't have to wait months and months longer cause of a Foot Controller which i will most probably never ever buy and i can already record/use my Axe Fx 3!

You could say the same about Axe Edit, yes i really need it in my studio environment-work flow but would i prefer to wait longer cause of it...no.

There is so much they can do at a time. And i don't think it's how a business works "let's wait till we have everything and release all at the same time". They probably need also the financial resources Axe Fx 3 sales generate to work on things, to get things built. My 2cents.

Last edited:
I am glad i didn't have to wait months and months longer cause of a Foot Controller which i will most probably never ever buy and i can already record/use my Axe Fx 3!

If you don’t use it live, that’s great. If you use this live it’s a fucking hassle. I’ve got a $2500 piece of kit that I don’t use live because I don’t want to buy a 3rd party controller (when a proprietary solution is supposedly “coming soon”) or re-program my MFC-101 to use with it since it’s currently set up to be used with my Axe2xl+...which I more or less can’t sell until the foot controller for the 3 comes out unless I like having to spend my time programming foot controllers multiple times rather than playing.

I prefer a fully integrated system. If I can’t have that and I have to start looking elsewhere for solutions I may as well start considering other options for preamps and effects as well...but hey...I’m sure I’m the only one who feels that way.

It’s not like we’re talking Starbucks holiday cups, buttermilk chicken tenders, or iPhone cases here. These are expensive tools. A simple statement as to what’s happening, when we might expect to see some resolution and some sort of apology for the inconvenience would be helpful. If I left my customers and stakeholders in the dark like this I wouldn’t blame them for taking their business elsewhere.

Last edited:
Am I missing the part where Fractal told potential customers a foot controller would be coming out on such-and-such specific date thereby tricking them into buying an Axe3? :D:rolleyes::D

I mean, you bought it knowing there was no FC available yet and without having an ETA on said FC. So, while I can see how that would be annoying for someone, I'm not seeing how that's Fractal's fault?

Welcome to living on the bleeding edge.

Austin

Am I missing the part where Fractal told potential customers a foot controller would be coming out on such-and-such specific date thereby tricking them into buying an Axe3? :D:rolleyes::D

I mean, you bought it knowing there was no FC available yet and without having an ETA on said FC. So, while I can see how that would be annoying for someone, I'm not seeing how that's Fractal's fault?

Welcome to living on the bleeding edge.

Austin

They announced them with the Axe3 and included pics of what were ultimately just mockups.

If you’re going to announce a proprietary foot controller with the launch of a unit...and you make your old controller only compatible with your new flagship product (that has likely been in development for quite some time) via MIDI...and you say it’s likely to come out in mid May and pics will be out in a week...and it doesn’t happen and there is no window into when it will, it’s generally considered good customer service to clue your users in about what’s going on, apololgize for the inconvenience and maybe offer up some possible solutions to make the situation less of a hassle for the users should a solution exist...maybe a MIDI controller template to quickly make the MFC-101 map to the Axe3’s commonly used functions for live use like preset/scene/channel functions. You know...customer service and Agility...that sort of thing.

These forums are a feedback loop which is a critical part of product development.

I am a Fractal fanboy. Cliff’s a genius and Fractal’s customer service is great. Had an Ultra, have a II and an AX8. I’ve been tempted to get a III (second hand) but I just can’t see the point without the foot controllers. I know there are workarounds. But it’s certainly very odd and a hassle that the flagship unit came out without the controllers or Axe Edit. I agree some statement by Fractal about what’s going on with the controllers and an ETA would be a nice gesture to the customers.

Back
Top Bottom