Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Firmware Release

I'm waiting for fractal to confirm this. It should not be like this, the position of the medium has an increase in the upper zone and is not flat. The top position is the logical one because it is flat.

I'm not Cliff, but I would think the obvious way to model it is to have the Attack switch set to "Flat" and Grunt switch set to "Raw"

Edit: He does mention using Low Cut control as the Grunt switch so it could be modeled to "Fat" by default with ability to further cut lower freq from there

Last edited:
Cliff thanks for including the BK7. I know a lot of guys have been begging for more bass models but I think the tonal options of this unit is going to offer a lot more useable sounds to a very impressive range of bass amps we have. Very grateful to be using your gear that has changed the world for so many musicians.. what an achievement!!!

I'm not Cliff, but I would think the obvious way to model it is to have the Attack switch set to "Flat" and Grunt switch set to "Raw"

Edit: He does mention using Grunt switch as a low cut filter so it could be set to "Fat" by default with ability to further cut lower freq from there

That's what I mean, I'm with you. Those are the logical positions since they are flat. I'm waiting for Cliff to say something about it.

It seems nobody understands what resetting does : it just sets default values to parameters, it doesn't load any new algorithm, as the parameters are precisely what drive the algorithm behavior. So resetting is never "needed", it's only a good thing if you want your preset to be restarted from scratch and have the default intended behavior of the real world amp (which is not always a good thing)
Ahh, silly me, the firmware is the algorithm, the algorithm is the firmware.
“Finkle is Einhorn...Einhorn is...Finkle!!!”
Got it!! :eek:

It seems nobody understands what resetting does : it just sets default values to parameters, it doesn't load any new algorithm, as the parameters are precisely what drive the algorithm behavior. So resetting is never "needed", it's only a good thing if you want your preset to be restarted from scratch and have the default intended behavior of the real world amp (which is not always a good thing)

i think i'd have to disagree with this. for quite some time now, i've always copied the amp from X to Y and then reset X. after setting any changed values in X to match Y, i can say i've heard a definite difference between them with firmwares that have recommended a reset as part of the release notes. if it was never necessary, then it would never be recommended.

i think i'd have to disagree with this. for quite some time now, i've always copied the amp from X to Y and then reset X. after setting any changed values in X to match Y, i can say i've heard a definite difference between them with firmwares that have recommended a reset as part of the release notes. if it was never necessary, then it would never be recommended.
Well, I think wouldn’t that be in the case when a new parameter is added, then it would definitely warrant a reset. Otherwise if it was just an internal tweaking of an algorithm that we cannot access would that not just load with the firmware itself?

i think the reset may load new default values for parameters that are not visible to the user
See, now that was what I was saying regarding the phase inverter algorithm and whether a reset is warranted with this!!
Lmao..
Back to square one:p

Sigh....

It’s as simple as this, folks:

IF a reset of the amp block was necessary to adjust parameters (exposed or hidden) in order to make the amp model work as it should,
THEN it would have been mentioned in the release notes.

It has always been that way.

A change to an algorithm does not always require the user to reset the amp block him- or herself. Because an algorithm change does not always require a change of parameter values. Also, the firmware itself can take care of loading correct parameter values without the help of the user.

Let’s not make this more difficult as it is! No assumptions, no speculations.

BTW, if you use Speaker Compression in the amp block, verify that Motor Drive in the cab block is off.

Last edited:
Sigh....

It’s as simple as this, folks:

IF a reset of the amp block was necessary to adjust parameters (exposed or hidden) in order to make the amp model work as it should,
THEN it would have been mentioned in the release notes.

It has always been that way.

A change to an algorithm does not always require the user to reset the amp block him- or herself. Because an algorithm change does not always require a change of parameters. Also, the firmware itself can take care of loading correct parameter values without the help of the user.

Let’s not make this more difficult as it is.
Good lord, now I feel like I just suffered from Self Inflicted Firmware Neurosis.

Glad to have that finally cleared up.. BTW, it’s worth noting that I did NOT hear any audible difference between two identical patches one with a hard reset and one without...FWIW.

Still confused on the where this update leaves solid state power amp users with real cabs. For now it's putting a large dent on future upgrade plans

What do you mean? You would just adjust the Speaker Comp according to your setup or what sounds good to your ears.

I power my axe fx threw my carvin vai legacy 3 I feel this firmware has significantly improved my tone on my favorite preset before I updated I saved my 4 main presets to my computer and then cleared the presets off the unit and restored system parmiters
When I put my energy ball preset on I was amazed
I don’t no if I’m right but I always felt the speaker page was influencing my tone threw my amp in an unfriendly way adding muffled lows
All that seems to be gone and more spongy response and articulation threw the amp

I power my axe fx threw my carvin vai legacy 3 I feel this firmware has significantly improved my tone on my favorite preset before I updated I saved my 4 main presets to my computer and then cleared the presets off the unit and restored system parmiters
When I put my energy ball preset on I was amazed
I don’t no if I’m right but I always felt the speaker page was influencing my tone threw my amp in an unfriendly way adding muffled lows
All that seems to be gone and more spongy response and articulation threw the amp
I agree. All your periods seem to be gone.

Back
Top Bottom