In the Spirit of NAMM Anouncements (FAS reactive load box)

I'm still trying to figure out if this box also acts as an attenuator, or is just a means of obtaining a line level signal from an amp. The words "Reactive Load" and the presence of the large knob on the front is in-line with some attenuator designs that also feature a recording level output.

It lets you run your favorite amp through the IR and effects of your choice without frying your gear.
ok, got it. I guess I am not used to old school amps and effects routing anymore ...although I´m tempted to try my Mojave Scorpion head with this thingy...collects dust since nobody wants to buy it.

I'm still trying to figure out if this box also acts as an attenuator, or is just a means of obtaining a line level signal from an amp. The words "Reactive Load" and the presence of the large knob on the front is in-line with some attenuator designs that also feature a recording level output.

It's just a load. The knob sets the DI level out.

Thanks Rex, I know what a load box is for. I just don´t get this part:
+1. I understand what a load box is, but they have been around for a long time. Wondering what this box has going for it that existing load boxes don't. I'm sure its good, but to be honest this does not seem very 'Fractally'. No digital magic. Guess I'm not in the target demographic as I don't see the value add over competing units with such a spartan feature set.

Maybe some big customers have asked for it.

+1. I understand what load box is, but they have been around for a long time. Wondering what this box has going for it that existing load boxes don't. I'm sure its good, but to be honest this does not seem very 'Fractally'. No digital magic. Guess I'm not in the target demographic as I don't see the value add over competing units with such a spartan feature set.
It has a novel, reactive load -- that's the really key thing in a load box to keep an amp happy. The static resistor load boxes aren't nearly as good as load boxes that do reactive loading. Cliff has obviously spent a lot of time over the last decade or more running amps through reactive loads to do model comparisons, so this is everything he's learned and honed in one box.

It's not what's on the outside that counts here.

It has a novel, reactive load -- that's the really key thing in a load box to keep an amp happy. The static resistor load boxes aren't nearly as good as load boxes that do reactive loading. Cliff has obviously spent a lot of time over the last decade or more running amps through reactive loads to do model comparisons, so this is everything he's learned and honed in one box.

It's not what's on the outside that counts here.
Of course. Completely understand the difference between a simple load and a reactive one... but there ARE other reactive load boxes that have been around forever. And Fractal has amazing IR tech. If I were in the market, I would have to wonder what this offers over two notes, for example...

Again, I trust Fractal to make an excellent product but man, it strikes me as a tough sell.

Of course. Completely understand the difference between a simple load and a reactive one... but there ARE other reactive load boxes that have been around forever. And Fractal has amazing IR tech. If I were in the market, I would have to wonder what this offers over two notes, for example...

Again, I trust Fractal to make an excellent product but man, it strikes me as a tough sell.

It would have to be better sounding/feeling than the Suhr Reactive Load or the Two Notes, or less expensive for it to be a big seller. .I have the Suhr , and love it. I suspect the Fractal , just like all of their gear will be killer. . As for people saying it's not Fractally, I would have to disagree if it's a really nice one like the Suhr or better. It would allow people to use their beloved Tube Amps to record, or for onstage use, and use a Fractal FX8 with them,etc. . I love my AX8 and think it's just about the best music gear tool ever, BUT I still have over 20 tube amps, and there's at least a dozen I will NEVER get rid of. I'm surely not alone out there. Eric

This is meant to augment existing Fractal products, not replace them.

If I remember correctly it was stated in the other thread that there would be two versions of this load box. One that is just a load box, and one that had built in DSP for it loading right in the box.

If I recall correctly Cliff some time ago said there will be two versions, one with IR loading capabilities and much more and one passive with just the loadbox.. I suppose this is the little brother ;)

If I remember correctly it was stated in the other thread that there would be two versions of this load box. One that is just a load box, and one that had built in DSP for it loading right in the box.
If I recall correctly Cliff some time ago said there will be two versions, one with IR loading capabilities and much more and one passive with just the loadbox.. I suppose this is the little brother ;)
Perfect sync! :D

Huh? How would this be used with an AX8 or what would be the advantage of using this over using cab modeling into an FRFR?
You'd run it in the effects loop of the AX8, connected to a guitar amp. You'd still want a CAB block in your preset, but you wouldn't use an AMP block -- the real amp would replace that block.

It's all about options for people that want them.

Well, for one, the impedance of our load actually resembles a real speaker. The same can't be said about some of the other so-called "reactive loads". Furthermore I've developed proprietary magnetics technology so the impedance changes with applied voltage, like a real speaker does.

Most importantly though, it sounds really good. I've tested just about every reactive load out there (except the Suhr) and ours actually sounds like a real speaker. In fact I'd go so far to say it sounds better than when I use my iso cab as a load.

Back
Top Bottom