Did you ever max out the processing power of the FX8?

Hhuent

Experienced
Guys, since I never used axe gear I cannot estimate what the processing power of the FX8 delivers. 8 simultaneous effects seems like overkill for my neds. At first sight. But I am used to top notch pedals and when I want - say - a combination of the best reverb / delay / chorus plus one boost/EQ, one drive, one comp block (already six different blocks, right?) - would I max out the processing power of the FX8? Can you just have a limited amount of efx (not 8) when you want the best resolution quality of reverbs etc.? In other words and to challenge some speculation: If not, could this be achieved also with the efx power of an AX8, that has to share its power with amp sims and cabs? Or would drive and boost/EQ blocks be covered by the amp sims and cabs? Thanks for sharing some info...

AX8 will have two chips, one for amp and cab modeling, one for FX. Beyond that, we do not have a list of which FX will be included in the AX8 (Cliff said it will have the same FX blocks as the AxeFX but not the more "esoteric" FX) or how many simultaneous FX the CPU will be able to handle. I can't imagine that the AX8 would not include the drive blocks. Time will tell.

Can't speak for the FX8 since I don't own one.

Last edited:
AX8 will have two chips, one for amp and cab modeling, one for FX. Beyond that, we do not have a list of which FX will be included in the AX8 (Cliff said it will have the same FX blocks as the AxeFX but not the more "esoteric" FX) or how many simultaneous FX the CPU will be able to handle. I can't imagine that the AX8 would not include the drive blocks. Time will tell.

Can't speak for the FX8 since I don't own one.

Thanks, thats what I remembered from another post. Anyone here knows how many processors the FX8 has compared to the two in the AX8?

I just built a preset with a compressor, drive, graphic EQ, chorus, delay, and reverb. Total CPU usage is 72%. If I bump the reverb up to "high" quality, CPU goes to 88%. But even at "normal" quality, the FX8's reverb slays any pedal.

Thanks, thats what I remembered from another post. Anyone here knows how many processors the FX8 has compared to the two in the AX8?

FX8 has one processor, but, IIRC, the AX8 will not use two of the same processor that is in the FX8. Speculation was that the processor in the FX8 was more powerful than the individual processors that will be used in the AX8. Going from memory on what was revealed in the mega AX8 thread so I could be wrong on that.

i've definitely maxed out a few patches but i had the quality of the reverb set to high. it seems ok at the normal quality

FX8 has one processor, but, IIRC, the AX8 will not use two of the same processor that is in the FX8. Speculation was that the processor in the FX8 was more powerful than the individual processors that will be used in the AX8. Going from memory on what was revealed in the mega AX8 thread so I could be wrong on that.

The AX-8 uses two of the processors in the FX-8. It's basically an FX-8 with a second DSP devoted solely to amp modeling.

Setting reverb to 'high' feels like over kill. The normal sounds so good.

Pitch block chews up the CPU too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would be the FX8 advantages besides the TRS relays? Will AX8 support 4cm?

Thanks Fractal and You guys for the Info. Good to know.
4cm? AX8 was announced with an efx loop. If that means it is suited for 4cm I don't know. Also, did you see the AX8 announced without TRS relays? Or is this an assumption?

I got the warning when playing with it last night, which I thought was a bit scary at first , but realized I had all 8 blocks in the preset loaded. I removed the ones I wouldn't normally use and pared down to about 5 blocks in this pre-set. If I want the odd effects I don't use, I'll just set up another preset for them :) I was an AFX user for 4 years and went back to a tube amp but always missed the high quality fractal effects. Glad to be back in the fold!

I got the warning when playing with it last night, which I thought was a bit scary at first , but realized I had all 8 blocks in the preset loaded. I removed the ones I wouldn't normally use and pared down to about 5 blocks

What blocks did you have loaded?

I'd be a little ticked off if I couldn't have 8 blocks going simultaneously.

there are times where you can't have 8 blocks going at once. if you are using 2 reverbs and 2 delays at the same time, you will be pretty close to maxing out the CPU. it really depends on the blocks and how CPU intensive they are

Basically what the first scene/preset came with. Once I started to fiddle with the reverb is when I got the CPU warning. I removed 3 blocks that I know I'd never use and it's fine. Everyone's needs are different - mine aren't that extensive, so it works for me!

My plan would be:

Input gate (free)
Volume pedal (free)
Wah (block)
Comp (block)
Drive (block)
EQ(block)
Trem(block)
Delay(block)
Delay(block)
Reverb(block)

If that's going to max out the CPU, then the FX8 is a non-starter for me.

that should work as long as you don't have the reverb set to "high" quality and have the reverb "voice" set at about 4

My plan would be:

Input gate (free)
Volume pedal (free)
Wah (block)
Comp (block)
Drive (block)
EQ(block)
Trem(block)
Delay(block)
Delay(block)
Reverb(block)

If that's going to max out the CPU, then the FX8 is a non-starter for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom