Did you ever max out the processing power of the FX8?

The G-System did not allow for a non-deterministic number of simultaneous effects of any kind you choose. The FX8 can trivially match the capabilities of the G-System.

There's basically two design patterns for multi-fx boxes:
1) G-System, Amplifire, older POD, M9/M13, etc. - there's a fixed number of effect types/slots, ordering, and combinations and you can turn everything on
2) Axe-FX/AX8/FX8, Helix, HD500, etc. - there's a blank canvas and you pick what you want in the order you want and you can keep adding stuff until the device cries "Uncle"

Maybe you've never used an M13, but it certainly does not have a fixed order. You can have 4 of any effect in the box on at a time, in any order you want. 4 reverbs, no problem. 2 reverbs into 2 drives, whatever floats your boat. It's similar to the FX8 in that respect. The difference is that those algorithms are fairly low res. The verbs and delays sounded great to me, but the FAS verbs and delays sound significantly better. There was no CPU meter on the M13, but I would occasionally run into power issues if I ran several reverbs at their longest decay times simultaneously.

FX8 has one processor, but, IIRC, the AX8 will not use two of the same processor that is in the FX8. Speculation was that the processor in the FX8 was more powerful than the individual processors that will be used in the AX8. Going from memory on what was revealed in the mega AX8 thread so I could be wrong on that.

Eric: you were wrong. Lol.

Maybe you've never used an M13, but it certainly does not have a fixed order. You can have 4 of any effect in the box on at a time, in any order you want. 4 reverbs, no problem. 2 reverbs into 2 drives, whatever floats your boat. It's similar to the FX8 in that respect. The difference is that those algorithms are fairly low res. The verbs and delays sounded great to me, but the FAS verbs and delays sound significantly better. There was no CPU meter on the M13, but I would occasionally run into power issues if I ran several reverbs at their longest decay times simultaneously.

I've owned every single device I mentioned. The ordering of effects in the M13 is flexible but deterministic and limited. And they could determine the absolute most costly combination in terms of CPU usage and account for that in their design - highest usage effect * 4 = CPU requirement. With more open systems that's not practical.

Back
Top Bottom