Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.08 Released

The IIC+ Brt/Deep is the best for me right now as well. After a couple of hours at least. let's see what future tweakings will bring to the table.

I'm crying "Party Foul"!!!!

I thought we all agreed that no firmware or editor releases would take place while I'm a 1,000 miles away on business.

Shesshhh, some people........

I'm confident my true friends will abstain until Wednesday, when I can partake in the festivities...?

Anyone? Buehler?

Oh ploppers, I was that busy playing through the RV50 that I forgot about the others! Gna have a little rest and fire her back up soon!

Absolutely nailed my old all tube tone with this amp model, it was like meeting an old friend again, apart from this time i dont need ear plugs and a practice room to achieve it! Thanks again FAS!

Just another thanks for converting the citrus cliff and team. That was my last tube amp that I sold off after buying the II. It was fun to play last night. squishy, creamy. With this new G3 modeling I find myself enjoying more and more amps.

Matt and I are both alumni of the John Petrucci forum. You're required to set up a Mark series Boogie within 60 seconds while blindfolded before you can even post over there, so I'm fairly certain he knows what he's doing with the new amp models. :)

Sorry, I am not on that forum so I don't know anyones history with the Mk series. Just giving a pointer of my experience with my Mk3 amps :)

well i found a really nice tone once i tried to stop sounding like petrucci. i used two of the taf shadow 1x12's panned centre in a stereo cab block with .06ms of delay

mark eq set flat in the amp. really nice fusion/blues sound. drive on 6, bass on 2.5, mid on 5, treb on 6 and pres on 2.5. i bumped input trim to get the amount of gain i wanted. sounds great!

I used the deep/bright model, btw

Last edited:
When i switch C+ models the FAT & BRT need to be switched on,or are they already on to match the 4 modeled amps?

I'm really enjoying the Boogie llc+/Deep with TAF Shadow Mix. I owned a black llc combo with the EQ and an EV back in the 80's. I used to call it the black hole, because at 2:00 a.m. it would suck all the mass in universe into itself and become the heaviest amplifier I ever owned (that and if you stood directly in front of it at full crank, it would kill you).

I remember the way that amp would grind, there was something unique about it. The new model in the Axe does the same thing. It makes me smile.

Thanks again Cliff and team Fractal. :encouragement:

Heavy is an understatement. My lab is on the second floor. Lugging it up the stairs was not enjoyable.

I'm dumbfounded by the love of the IIC+. Back when they came, I had one, everyone complained about them, myself included. I couldn't wait to unload mine at a loss and nowadays it's revered.

Anywho, I like the preamp tube options, they're subtle, but sometimes just that little bit that was missing.

I'm digging the high definition crunch on this IIc+

If cranking up the master volume on this amp is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Here's my 100% serious first clip with the new IIC+ and a short review: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/99023-fw-18-08-iic-careless-whisper.html

I guess it's safe to say that it's a drastic change to the IIC+ we had before.....The low end is very different to the Mark IV amp sims. It's very vintagey....

Right, I meant to mention before that the Axe's Mark IV models are much more modern sounding in comparison with the new IIc+'s.

I think a combination of changing the preamp tube type to Modern and pumping up/scooping out the graphic eq's 80/750 Hz bands more than usual (than you would on the Mark IV models) will help to make things less vintage sounding (not that vintage is bad, it's just not really for me :mrgreen).

I have a lot of experimenting to do. :)

curious - have you used a real one? (i'm guessing yes?)

lol! Chris, you grabbed my quote before I edited it. I've really been looking forward to this amp, more than you can imagine, and my first reaction as soon as I loaded it up was immediate disappointment (this was my own fault). I let my own gas get away from me, that's why I quickly edited my statement because I knew I was going to really have to work with the amp to get it sounding the way I expect. And yes... I used to own a MKIIC+.

On the Mk series amps, I never have the bass past 2 or the mid past 3 (on the real amps). The graphic is then employed in a classic V shape where the middle slider becomes the tone shaper. That is the sound most associated with these amps.
If you start setting the tone controls like you would on a Marshall, it will sound flubby.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had the amp 90% there at the end of the night when I decided to give in and go to bed. Still a bit more tweaking to do. I shouldn't have posted anything that quickly, that's why I edited my post after I came to my senses. I just had a ton of gas for this amp and when I loaded it up, I was really disappointed with what I heard and posted out of immediate frustration. All is good now though.

Matt and I are both alumni of the John Petrucci forum. You're required to set up a Mark series Boogie within 60 seconds while blindfolded before you can even post over there, so I'm fairly certain he knows what he's doing with the new amp models. :)

@ Shredi lol! Yes... Yes we are.

They all seemed to have less gain and be more "midrangey" sounding than the previous versions.

Agreed. The "less gain" part is the aspect of the new model I was most concerned about. But this new amp model has a softness and a clean "ringyness" to the tone the previous IIC+ model lacked. Upon initial testing, I preferred the previous model but I'm beginning to respect the new IIC+. Got to continue to dial it in!!!

For the record the new tube types are just brilliant! Love the variation!!! Awesome job FAS.

Last edited:
I'm a lot more excited to try the Badger 30 than the IIc+ if I'm being honest. Anyone got clips of that yet?

Thanks!

I'm dumbfounded by the love of the IIC+. Back when they came, I had one, everyone complained about them, myself included. I couldn't wait to unload mine at a loss and nowadays it's revered.

Anywho, I like the preamp tube options, they're subtle, but sometimes just that little bit that was missing.

+1. People have a ginormous hard on for this amp because some famous users have cut some great tunes with it. The greatness of those tunes and artists preceded the legend of the gear... And this goes for a LOT of legendary gear, sometimes when you go to try it out a lot of times you realize it is not YOUR thing, sometimes it's REALLY not your thing.

I think its important in your evolution as a tone seeker to be able to recognize that something that may be legendary for good reason does not have your sound even if some artist you admire cut/performs some great track with it.

Back
Top Bottom