G3 modeling thread

Wow, lots of speculation. This is the state of things so far:

G3 is all-new amp modeling. There are no other changes to the firmware so the effects, routing, etc. stay the same. But the amp modeling is a complete "reboot" based on this analysis thingy I wrote that learns an amp and extracts the pertinent data.

At this point I have only ported several dozen models to G3. It's a LOT of work because it involves opening each amp and doing all the measurements and then doing the analysis matches, etc. It will be several more weeks to port the remaining models.

Does it sound drastically different? No, but it does sound better. Some amps are noticeably better especially the Plexis, Rectos, 5150s and the Trainwreck. The Rectos are very good now. They're smooth yet aggressive at the same time if that makes any sense.

Many parameters have been removed as they are not compatible. Among them: PA Lowcut, PA Hicut, Character Type, Character Freq, Character Amt, Character Q, Voicing, et. al. The modeling doesn't need them.

So stop banging on your F5 key and get back to talking about deflated footballs.

Sorry to see that you are removing the parameters that you mentioned. I understand that they may not be needed to make the amp sound any closer to the original, but it does give us more options to customize the sound to our liking.......So I formally request if possible to keep those mentioned parameters in G3....Thanks

Last edited:
Here's a question to speculate on....

Will G3 restart the FW #'s?

G3 - 1.0 ?

Or will we go to 18.0?

Sorry if this has already been tossed out there.....I just glanced through the other 24 pages of this thread :)

My guess would be , It will start over at 1.0

Sorry to see that you are removing the parameters that you mentioned. I understand that they may not be needed to make the amp sound any closer to the original, but it does give us the option to customize the sound to our liking.......

I think you will find there are ample other controls to achieve the same results. If you have a specific need or tone change you are trying to make, I would post a question on it, and let folks provide you some suggestions for achieving it.

This just reminded me of a comment one of the Friedman reps made at NAMM that I had to bite my tounge on.
He said - "Friedman is coming out with his own amp plug in soon....and that it sounds exactly like a Friedman, with the same controls. And we don't have all those extra fancy controls like the Axe FX has, because the Friedman plug in doesn't need to be tweaked to sound right, but the Axe FX does".
I just nodded and thought to myself.....well, you just convinced me to not buy a Friedman product.

Man he was a clown.....

This just reminded me of a comment one of the Friedman reps made at NAMM that I had to bite my tounge on.
He said - "Friedman is coming out with his own amp plug in soon....and that it sounds exactly like a Friedman, with the same controls. And we don't have all those extra fancy controls like the Axe FX has, because the Friedman plug in doesn't need to be tweaked to sound right, but the Axe FX does".
I just nodded and thought to myself.....well, you just convinced me to not buy a Friedman product.

Man he was a clown.....

and so the chance was missed to say that it was the extra controls in the Axe that made the Friedman sound right..

troll and counter troll.. lmao

der-graf.jpg

He told me: 18 follows after 17 .... because ... G3 1.0 wouldn`t sound better than 18 ... you marketing nerds ... :mrgreen

Sorry to see that you are removing the parameters that you mentioned. I understand that they may not be needed to make the amp sound any closer to the original, but it does give us more options to customize the sound to our liking.......So I formally request if possible to keep those mentioned parameters in G3....Thanks

Originally Posted by FractalAudio - Many parameters have been removed as they are not compatible.

New math flow will mean that some of the parameter formulas won't work. Go on and say it would be easy to code for the new formulas. I dare you. :D

Here's a question to speculate on....

Will G3 restart the FW #'s?

G3 - 1.0 ?

Or will we go to 18.0?

Sorry if this has already been tossed out there.....I just glanced through the other 24 pages of this thread :)

It will not, that will be reset with Axe Fx III in 2016

I wanted to start recording the guitar lines of our album just a few days before Cliff thread about G3, now everything is stasis until this madness dream come true... wooohooo... can't wait any longer.

Just catch the dry guitar parts and reamp. If I held off recording guitar parts 'cause Cliff was going to improve the Axe... I'd never record anything!

My guess would be , It will start over at 1.0

I reckon that a more important thing must be considered than the number fw18 or G3: 01 convention used for G3 fw loads

what font will FAS use for the G3 FW numbers?

hahaaaaa…. I can sense the OCD kids starting to freak out already...

My main distraction?..............I'm too busy enjoying FW17.04!!! :encouragement:

No fuckin doubt; what I was thinkin several posts up. I would be, too.....but......well, I WILL be soon! MUA-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH............

(( In the mean time, fuck my balls itch.... ))

Oh, G3 will be quite "revolutionary."

76228f9e2edaa2e91bd82092ebf9598eb0f12845.jpeg

Hey, there ain't enough colors there!

Last edited:
Really for me, as long as the models get more accurate/real, then I'm fine with lowering the amount of the tweaker variables. I've had my Axe 2 since FW 10 or so and I've never had an update that didn't improve the sound for me. And, except for the time last summer when I was in hospital with diverticulitis, I've installed every one that's come out including public betas. It typically takes me less than 5 minutes to dial in a preset from scratch, so if one of my presets gets affected in a negative way it doesn't take me long to fix it.

Thankfully I'm not one of those OCD "I spent 5 hours perfectly replicating Dime's pick scrape tone from that Youtube of the show in Tampa in '89" kind of guys. I'm just dialing up tones that I dig or are appropriate for the song/genre I'm playing. I can understand how the though of losing that "my go-to parameter" could be terrifying to that type of player.

Back
Top Bottom