Axe-Fx II Firmware 16.02 Released

R U guys for real? how can this be better? you guys are amazing. Thanks! have to wait till tomorrow or ill be up all night

Would it be accurate to think of this new FW as (depending on how you set it of course) a return to some of the more idealized, opposed to purely accurate, amp tones of pre FW10 ?

FW9 for example, had a bunch of fans who liked the kind of studio ready ideal guitar tones, while it seemed like FW10 pushed things to a new level of realism, touch sensitivity etc. Responded more like a real amp and some folks missed the studio polish of earlier FW.

In 16.02, with things like the dynamics knob, it seems we have the option to take an amp past the limits of an accurate model, to a bit more of an idealized tone. Seems great to me, and naturally one doesn't have to use such settings if they want to. In my mind, this seems like a great direction to go, because while I appreciate 99.9% accurate models, I think its also pretty cool to use the freedom of the virtual amp to allow for tones and features simply not possible with a real amp.

Its like the Matrix if you will.... sure you can follow the rules of reality, OR, you can tell yourself there is no spoon, so to speak, and take your amp to new levels

What is everyone's opinion on this ?

Hmmm....

I don't see it as a move towards an idealized model. Instead I'm hearing and feeling/sensing a greater degree of realism than with any prior firmware. Someone else juist posted describing the results of this firmware's modeling as 'wilder' and 'less linear' compared to prior releases. I think that was as good a description as I could have offered. My comments here are based on the updated modeling without changing any advanced parameters.

With that said I also feel that the added parameters in this firmware (along with the prior existing parameters), when used judiciously, allow one to make 'modifications' to an amp model yielding results that would likely be possible for the real amp in the hands of a knowledgeable tech. The best part is that it has become very easy to do so for any user.

Even with some extreme changes through deep editing parameters the modeled amps seem to respond in a familiar way, just with some exaggerated traits. After spending a few hours under the hood I would say that it's now easier for a user to find their own idea of an 'idealized' version of any given modeled amp. The results aren't likely to be perceived as such by many users though. It's more likely at this point (v16.02) that one man's 'idealised' will be anothers 'same amp with different settings. Most results seem to me to be more like a real tube amp than ever before.

IMHO, YMMV of course. :) . This is just one guys perspective.

Thanks, BTW, to Cliff, M@, the FAS team, and beta testers for the best firmware release and the best modeling yet! This is outstanding work with amazing results.

I got so busy playing with the advanced parameters that I forgot about the AC30 Hot amp model. I'll have to give it a go tomorrow.?

Last edited:
Reactions: trb
Just got done playing....for now. Probably going to go for another pass in a minute.

The new AC30 is beyond ridiculous. Thought I was going to blow a tube or a transformer or something. It's stupid in the best way possible. :)

Just got done playing....for now. Probably going to go for another pass in a minute.

The new AC30 is beyond ridiculous. Thought I was going to blow a tube or a transformer or something. It's stupid in the best way possible. :)

Fried tubes and transformer modulations comes in next FW ;)

Ok, I hadn't updated since 15.02. I was pretty happy with it, and honestly other than adding the Tucanna amp back then, I was just as happy with 14.xx. I agree with an earlier post about how sometimes a FW update causes mass-mania and everyone is like "holy shit-balls, this has changed my whole life!" when the difference is often subtle.

BUT... I gotta say. My first impressions of 16.02 are "Holy Shitballs..."

I don't know if my life is changed... but my tone IS improved... before I have really tweaked very much. It's just... more better. The Plexi is endless fun... crank the presence, lower the variac, add a TS808 for mid bump (or not... but the 808 sounds great in this FW) go nuts!! So many great sounds from this amp alone! A person could literally get lost for a month in this thing creating tones... but I just dialed up a great tone in about 45 seconds and then played for about 45 minutes... and THAT friends is what has me so happy with this update. Less tone goofing, more guitar playing!

Wow...wow...wow!
How the hell can this thing get better? Think I'll buy another one

Thanks so much
Pauly

There's a "bug" with the Intelligent Gate.
If you switch the effect to Intelligent and your input gate is a global block, it doesn't change it in all the linked input gate. You gotta change it manually in all your linked global blocks.

Tried to reproduce this but it won't.
Are you sure it's the same global block instance in those presets?

Tried to reproduce this but it won't.
Are you sure it's the same global block instance in those presets?

Yes. When I change any other parameter it changes on all my linked presets (about 100). Not the effect type.
Am I missing a step?
Theyre all linked already, all I do is change a parameter and save the preset. Which works for any parameter except the type.

Weird. Tried again (front panel). Still not doing that here.

BTW, for the CPU-hungry people:

the "intelligent" takes up a little more CPU power (less than 1%) than the "classic" gate.

Back
Top Bottom