Axe-Fx II Firmware 16.02 Released

So at this moment if I install 16.02 I wont have the ability to edit presets with Axe Edit at all.. Is that correct? If so I will wait until the Axe Edit update is available.

you can edit but the the new parameters arent there yet. So just go to the front display to play with them.

I got instant improvement to my favorite Plexy with the variac and the dynamic. Great update for me!

I think you can use AxeEdit for all FW15 features , for FW16 features I use the AxeFx display......

Would it be accurate to think of this new FW as (depending on how you set it of course) a return to some of the more idealized, opposed to purely accurate, amp tones of pre FW10 ?

FW9 for example, had a bunch of fans who liked the kind of studio ready ideal guitar tones, while it seemed like FW10 pushed things to a new level of realism, touch sensitivity etc. Responded more like a real amp and some folks missed the studio polish of earlier FW.

In 16.02, with things like the dynamics knob, it seems we have the option to take an amp past the limits of an accurate model, to a bit more of an idealized tone. Seems great to me, and naturally one doesn't have to use such settings if they want to. In my mind, this seems like a great direction to go, because while I appreciate 99.9% accurate models, I think its also pretty cool to use the freedom of the virtual amp to allow for tones and features simply not possible with a real amp.

Its like the Matrix if you will.... sure you can follow the rules of reality, OR, you can tell yourself there is no spoon, so to speak, and take your amp to new levels

What is everyone's opinion on this ?

The Class-A 30W Hot (possibly in combination with the high end improvements) is sounding a lot closer to a real AC30. I'm not exactly why that would be since the Hot switch on the HW bypasses the tone stack and therefore changes the sound compared to a "classic" AC30. Well whatever. It's getting better or simply easier than using the Class-A 30W TB and adjusting various settings for the top end to sound good.

I think this release has better Krrannnggg when the presence is set pretty high... again maybe due to the better high end.

Kudos also to FAS on more 'explanatory' release notes. It's much more clear how the changes/improvements directly affect TONE.

For sure!

All the tech stuff sounds awesome, but heck if I know what it means 99% of the time. Its cool that they are able to model in such detail how all the parts of the amp work, transformers, sag, inverse feedback, flux capacitors, warp cores, yadda yadda, and it makes me feel like "cool, my expensive processor is now even better" but I never know how to adjust that stuff, or if I should.

Having some controls like dynamics and the variac (which is compensated for volume) are great because I actually understand what is it I'm adjusting, and more importantly, what it does and why.

I'm not saying the tech stuff is bad, or to dumb it down, but its nice to see some layman's information as well.

I used to take my amps to a tech to get modded and just would tell him what I want, like a tighter bottom end, and he'd work his magic. I wouldn't tell him "oh, go and increase the negative feedback 5%" or something like that. That was the stuff he did behind the scenes, as an electrical engineer, in order to get the desired effect.

Seems like the FW16.02 is a nice step forward in getting even more advanced modeling, yet also providing some readily accessible ways for us "dumb" guitarist to make use of it.

This is great, because before, I'd often just leave patches stock, because I felt I didn't understand the 100+ parameters to adjust, it was overwhelming.

Now with some simple controls, I can start tweaking more than just the basics of the tone stack and MV. This lets me dive into the unit more and really personalize my tone.

Well done Fractal

If you owned a tube amp and some pedals , you don't need to be a tech in order to get some nice patches . Don't have to turn all the parameters , I just adjust to my taste basic parameters. I keep an eye on the shared presets and I learn from there.:)

If you owned a tube amp and some pedals , you don't need to be a tech in order to get some nice patches . Don't have to turn all the parameters , I just adjust to my taste basic parameters. I keep an eye on the shared presets and I learn from there.:)

You don't "need" to of course, but it can still be cool sometimes. My amp guy (vintageamprepair dot come) has always done amazing work improving all the amps I've brought him. Its a subjective thing, but he'd talk with me about my playing style, listen to tone samples I liked, how I wanted the amp to respond, and he'd always nail it.

Sometimes an amp is subjectively "perfect" stock. Other times it can use some tweaks to really make it match the tone in our head.

Its like guitar pickups or anything else. Sometimes the factory pups are great. Other times I go through 4 or 5 models with different magnets, windings etc to find the tone I'm after.

woouu new Axe-Edit is just catastrophic.... it jut lose communication every minute... I'm pretty much confident it will be fixed soon :)

So at this moment if I install 16.02 I wont have the ability to edit presets with Axe Edit at all.. Is that correct? If so I will wait until the Axe Edit update is available.

Ask and ye shall receive. Check the news forum.

Oh and Axe edit worked with the update, you just couldn't access the new parameters.

Back
Top Bottom