Zero Crunch kills

rsf1977_again

Power User
I read here somewhere that someone dialed the Crunch setting to zero and it made their high gain tone amazing. So I tried it and to my surprise he/she was absolutely correct!

I'd say for modern high gain the crunch setting seems to dull or round off the attack. The more you add the more it gets rounded and loses bite. I highly recommend giving it a try.

I read here somewhere that someone dialed the Crunch setting to zero and it made their high gain tone amazing. So I tried it and to my surprise he/she was absolutely correct!

I'd say for modern high gain the crunch setting seems to dull or round off the attack. The more you add the more it gets rounded and loses bite. I highly recommend giving it a try.

I've been staring blankly at Axe Edit, staring at the Matrix... did I miss something?! Where's the crunch setting?! :? Cheers!!

It was pretty useful for me. I didn't really like the Friedman for high gain stuff after fw18, though it did sound better for lower gain, rock stuff.

Crunch on 0 certainly brought back that aggressive, tight feel I liked with metal patches on fw17.

Useful parameter.

Heck. After getting a positive reaction from the high gains I decided I'd try it on my clean/edge-of-breakup tones (Shiva, for example), and whaddayaknow!? I like it set to 0 there as well. Go figure. I'm curious now, even more than ever, what exactly is going on with that parameter.

Heck. After getting a positive reaction from the high gains I decided I'd try it on my clean/edge-of-breakup tones (Shiva, for example), and whaddayaknow!? I like it set to 0 there as well. Go figure. I'm curious now, even more than ever, what exactly is going on with that parameter.

ok, now I want to try it with everything too haha

This and the X FORMER MATCH parameter in the speaker menu of the amp block is prob. one of the most powerful adjustments one can make. Talk about clarity and a smooth presence, especially for a modern high gain tone.

Cliff, is the ONE.

Crunch is one of my go-to parameters to tweak in every patch (along with Transformer Match) be it clean or high gain; it's such a powerful control.

Crunch on 0 certainly brought back that aggressive, tight feel I liked with metal patches on fw17.

Useful parameter.
There's a reason that Crunch defaults to only 3% in the Angle Severe model. The way that amp is usually used, most users aren't really going for a crunch tone.

That said, a touch of crunch will often help you cut through a mix. It works better in context than it does by itself.

Couldn't find any info on what it does in Twiki... guess I'll just have to get a 'feel' for it. I sort of like knowing what the parameter is doing in terms of the amp's electrical behavior though. ;)

Cool find! Looking forward to trying this out over the weekend. I am also hoping that Cliff will chime in on this thread and give us more info on the crunch parameter. Its always cool to learn new stuff about my black magic machine.

Back
Top Bottom