Your top 5 brutal metal amp models

Put 6550's in a 5150 block and go. Change the cabs to change the flavour.

If you want to go a different route, put a rat and/or pi fuzz into a clean fender into a 412.

FAS Modern amps are really, really good. All three of them, actually.

FAS Modern II is my favorite of the three though. It's extremely tight and clear but has tons of post-gain low end so it sounds even and chunky.
Damn, I’ve been missing out.... I haven’t tried any FAS stuff yet... I barely tried the skullcrusher today and was blown away. Can’t wait to try the others. Skull crusher reminded me of a White Chapel Kind of tone \m/ brutal

Damn, I’ve been missing out.... I haven’t tried any FAS stuff yet... I barely tried the skullcrusher today and was blown away. Can’t wait to try the others. Skull crusher reminded me of a White Chapel Kind of tone \m/ brutal

The FAS amps are all great but I don't hear too many people talking about them online too often. I think it might be because so many people on forums are still concentrating on how close modeling can get to real tube amps as opposed to seeing what kind of original sounds can be dialed in.

Try the FAS Brootal or whatever it's called. It's a hybrid between a Soldano SLO and ENGL Savage. It's a firebreather for sure.

Since there are so many great high gain amps to choose from I find it useful to arrange them into a "tasting" guide based on the most popular "flavours".

Recto - FAS Modern, Cornfed and Spawn Nitrous models.
Friedman - Atomica High, Brit Brown, Spawn Q-Rod, FAS Rod, Brit 800 Mod
USA IIC+ - USA Pre, FAS Lead and ODS HRM (seriously, just add a 5 band Mark GEQ)
ENGL - Fryette D60, Herbie, DAS Metall, FAS Brootalz, Triptik Modern
5150 - Solo 100, FAS 6160

Furthermore, a lot of high gain amps are basically Marshall's with a few basic tweaks, so you can start with an amp like the Brit 800 and play with
advanced parameters like the tone stack type, saturation, MV location, negative feedback, bright switch, input boost (CC and Grinder especially) and input EQ.

Here's a few examples, including the Rat/Fender combination @Budda suggested.

Attachments

• Metal Amp Designer.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 121
The FAS amps are all great but I don't hear too many people talking about them online too often. I think it might be because so many people on forums are still concentrating on how close modeling can get to real tube amps as opposed to seeing what kind of original sounds can be dialed in.

Try the FAS Brootal or whatever it's called. It's a hybrid between a Soldano SLO and ENGL Savage. It's a firebreather for sure.
Yeah you’re right. I don’t hear very much about the FAS amps. They sound great!

Since there are so many great high gain amps to choose from I find it useful to arrange them into a "tasting" guide based on the most popular "flavours".

Recto - FAS Modern, Cornfed and Spawn Nitrous models.
Friedman - Atomica High, Brit Brown, Spawn Q-Rod, FAS Rod, Brit 800 Mod
USA IIC+ - USA Pre, FAS Lead and ODS HRM (seriously, just add a 5 band Mark GEQ)
ENGL - Fryette D60, Herbie, DAS Metall, FAS Brootalz, Triptik Modern
5150 - Solo 100, FAS 6160

Furthermore, a lot of high gain amps are basically Marshall's with a few basic tweaks, so you can start with an amp like the Brit 800 and play with
advanced parameters like the tone stack type, saturation, MV location, negative feedback, bright switch, input boost (CC and Grinder especially) and input EQ.

Here's a few examples, including the Rat/Fender combination @Budda suggested.
LT, thank you for all your videos. I’ve watched/learned so much from them. You’re awesome man! I don’t know where the fractal community would be without you.

Currently:
Angle Servere 2
Angle Servere 1
5153 100 Watt Red
USA IIC++
Recto2 Red Modern (Boosted with Grinder)

Still getting around to fully trying out some of the others so no doubt this will change over time as I've only had the Axe FX 3 for about 3 months. Can't see the Angle Servere 2 changing from the top spot for me though.

A few gotos:

Engl Savage
5150 Block
5153 Red
USA IIC++
Engl Powerball

Worth a look: The almighty Uberschall, Rectos, Splawn Nitro, FAS Modern series, and of course: FAS Brootalz.

Hard to keep it at five. ;) We have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to the Br00talz.

Although, that said, I think I will request some more.... :p LOL...

VHT Pitbull would be nice. Rivera Knucklehead, Framus Cobra (I know, it is a tweaked Recto but it is an epic tweaked Recto) one of the classic Randalls and/or Fortin amps.

Love the FAS amps as well, and the Skull Crusher was my top choice before the TC100 came out. I see the TC as a little bit rock and a little bit metal, but it can get pretty extreme if you get it set right. Just seems to fit the tones I hear in my head better than any of the others, and the TC50 was the best amp I ever owned the real version of.

Back
Top Bottom