Your Top 3 Favorite "Live" Albums

Allman Brothers Filmore East
Metallica Live Shit: Binge & Purge (Seattle '89)
Dream Theater: Scenes From New York

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KISS Alive II
Rush Exit Stage Left
Yes 9012LIVE

9012Live is in my top five, love the video as well (not so much the cheesy eighty dramatic montages on the original). There was an updated video released a few years ago that has more of the actual concert footage. Trivia: that video was actually the commercial debut of Stephen Soderbergh who went on to direct "Sex, Lies, & Videotape", "Ocean's Eleven", etc.

Speaking of 9012LIVE, a good friend of mine who worked extensively with Trevor Rabin is going to try to connect me with him so I can give him a guided tour of the Axe-Fx II. That would be a great match in my opinion.

Speaking of 9012LIVE, a good friend of mine who worked extensively with Trevor Rabin is going to try to connect me with him so I can give him a guided tour of the Axe-Fx II. That would be a great match in my opinion.

The AxeFx II does seem like it would be right in his wheelhouse.

Alan Parsons comes to mind too; although not thought of as a guitarist per se, he definitely stays in the know about recording vs. technology.

Richard

Admin M@ said:

Oh God, please let it happen. He's got a new album coming out in May that I think is going to be all instrumental, but it will be Trevor with a guitar which is a great thing. I saw Yes on that tour and his playing has always been brilliant. I'd love to hear what he could do with the AxeFx, although I wonder if he gets much time to play with all the composing. I'm a long time Steve Howe devotee, but Trevor in some ways I hold in higher regard. His solo album "Can't Look Away" is a great album, made even more amazing by the fact he wrote and performed the majority of the songs/instruments on that album.

I love Can't Look Away... need to pull that one out again!

I hope he starts working on that project w/ Wakeman and Anderson... I'm really interested to hear that ;-)

I would turn cartwheels if the Rabin-Anderson-Wakeman collaboration ever happened, but with all the Yes drama (no pun intended) lately, I'm not holding my breath. Thankfully, Trevor and Rick are normally somewhat separated from those group breakdowns, but I can just think of about 100 reasons it won't happen and only a few that make it likely (like it would be awesome, for one).

Picking these out the first one that springs to mind is Made in Japan, by Deep Purple. For me it is just a milestone of a live album in rock history.
A Show of Hands by Rush, stands out also as on that tour it marked to me an interesting time in the development of Rush. The album also reminds me of a band I played in which was a trio and we covered a lot of Rush tunes and I went to see Hold Your Fire tour on which the album was recorded with the bass player in the band. Good times.
Picking out a third one from numerous live albums is quite a task as to find one that stands out above others is quite a task. I think I will pick Winterland by Jimi Hendrix as it is a live box set I have recently been listening to.

If I had to pick one live album to take on a desert island, Made in Japan would be the one.

I would turn cartwheels if the Rabin-Anderson-Wakeman collaboration ever happened, but with all the Yes drama (no pun intended) lately, I'm not holding my breath. Thankfully, Trevor and Rick are normally somewhat separated from those group breakdowns, but I can just think of about 100 reasons it won't happen and only a few that make it likely (like it would be awesome, for one).
Unfortunately, I completely agree ...

If I could pick one for the singing, it'd be Bon Scott on If You Want Blood....You Got It! What a badass. Not a bad musical performance either, but the sound is thin/trebly, and the cut-n-paste applause is laughable. But, don't f&$# with Bon!

Pat Metheny Group - Travels
Jackson Browne - Running On Empty
Santana - Moonflower (not all tracks are live, but the live one's are incredible).

Back
Top Bottom